niobium tungsten oxides

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Cheap material could radically improve battery charging speed, say scientists
Discovery could accelerate adoption of electric cars and solar energy, as well as helping to recharge your smartphone in minutes
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/jul/25/cheap-material-could-radically-improve-battery-charging-speed-say-scientists

Knowing me, this has probably been understood for years... Nonetheless, looks interesting. (Mind, charging is already fast enough for my needs. Ride bike, put in garage, charge if needed.)

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing and Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I don't know how soon you can charge your 500WH battery in under 1 minute but that implies that the mains socket has to deliver at least 30KW. Just imagine the size of a domestic 30KW charger!

• Agree
  • :D
Reactions: flecc and oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I don't know how soon you can charge your 500WH battery in under 1 minute but that implies that the mains socket has to deliver at least 30KW. Just imagine the size of a domestic 30KW charger!
Perhaps we'll just plug our ebikes into electric car chargers... :)

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
one of those fast e-car charger is installed in London Road, Southend, opposite Sainsbury's. It seems quite popular, always in use every time I walk passed it.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Cheap material could radically improve battery charging speed, say scientists
Discovery could accelerate adoption of electric cars and solar energy, as well as helping to recharge your smartphone in minutes
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/jul/25/cheap-material-could-radically-improve-battery-charging-speed-say-scientists

Knowing me, this has probably been understood for years... Nonetheless, looks interesting. (Mind, charging is already fast enough for my needs. Ride bike, put in garage, charge if needed.)
Radical battery advances are like medical ones, announced weekly, always about five years of research away, and never materialising. Basically they are grant raisers to keep institutes going.

In any case the trouble with fast charging is that it's usually directly related to battery life, the quicker the charge, the shorter the battery life. That's why rapid car chargers charge only to 80% and why the new Nissan Leaf is program limited to two rapid charges in a single long journey, dropping back to a slow charge at a third attempt.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
If I understand correctly, this announcement was about using it to make ceramic separators in Lithium batteries.

QUOTE:

Ceramic Separators: Key Features & Benefits

• Proven to be highly suitable for high-power (150 C) and high temperature (over 100°C) battery applications.
  • Fully compatible with a range of processing technologies including stacking, winding and z-folding.
  • Features superior wettability, which allows for the faster & more uniform absorption of electrolyte.
  • Demonstrates great resistance in typical abuse scenarios. (Nail penetration test)
  • Minimal shrinkage – less than 1% of shrinkage occurs after 24 hours at 200°C.
  • Enables the fast & thorough drying of stacks / jelly rolls at 130°C and above.
  • Ultra-long life cycle & calendar life. (up to 9000 cycles at 100% DoD)
  • Retains mechanical integrity in high heat, up to 240°C.
  • Qualified for use in automotive industry applications.

• Informative
Reactions: oyster

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
thought I read somewhere that graphene was going to be a major step forward in battery technology

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
thought I read somewhere that graphene was going to be a major step forward in battery technology
Or carbon nanotubes, or anything else that someone dreams up as a vague possibility which might earn a research grant.

Meanwhile the companies that make the things just keep on making them steadily better. My new car battery a case in point. Nine years ago it started at 24 kW/h, three years or so ago grew to 30 kWh, now 40 kWh and next year 63 kWh, all in the same volume and shape without a word about the chemical technologies involved.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I must say nobody pays any attention putting petrol in the tank and it's hard to imagine plugging your car into a 10C, 300KW charger leave alone plugging your car to a 100C, 3MW charger!
The mind boggles and yet, progress is leading that way, maybe one day we'd just pop into a shop to buy a ZPM for our personal transport.