Help! No "-" button to select assist level...

Sailorbass

Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2020
Just picked up a new Insync Shock electric mountain bike. Anybody else got one?

How do I knock the assist level back from, say, 3 to 2, without going all round the 3-0-1-2 loop? Really, really irritating. Mode level assist on handlebars only goes in one direction (Up), and you have to toggle around all settings (including No assist) if you want to decrease the level. Am I missing something obvious here, please?

I've tried contacting Insync, but no joy so far.

Attachments

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
How do I knock the assist level back from, say, 3 to 2, without going all round the 3-0-1-2 loop? Really, really irritating.
Better than our excellent Panasonic Bread maker with one of the world's worst user interfaces. It's one way program loop has 33 items.

Reactions: Tony1951

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Most decent ebike controls have an up/down button to toggle.

Sailorbass

Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2020

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Likely a basic 3 speed control programmed unit, they all work the same and only have one toggle button so one has to go through the sequence.

The KT one linked to needs to paired with a KT controller other wise it will not work correctly.

One has to locate the controller box to find the brand on it, in your case it is likely located in the downtube.

Sailorbass

Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2020
Hmmm. Mutter, mutter....

Anybody want to buy a hardly-used electric mountain bike, before I start modding it?

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
I run those basic LED displays on a couple of my self build bikes and find them easy to get on with, but i do have the benefit of a throttle which means less need to change assist levels. Get modding, it's often the only way to create a bike that suits your needs.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Problem with that bike everything is hidden in the frame so not always easy access, one reason I stay well away from integrated stuff.

• Agree
Reactions: wheeliepete

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Oxygen Emate City 005.JPG

Looks just like the one on my old 2011 Oxygen. That old Oxygen also has a unrestricted throttle that is very useful. Maybe you can add an unrestricted throttle to yours. If so that is the only mod you need, as you can use the throttle to over ride any mode you are in. This control unit is original as is the controller and the good news is that for me they have been very reliable and still work as they were intended to after more than 10 years use. I appreciate it is a bit annoying but in reality it is only a couple of clicks of the button to change from high to medium.

• Agree
Reactions: wheeliepete

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
To add a throttle or change anything the controller needs to be located and removed from with in the frame, then the controller may not have the option to add a throttle.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Hmmm. Mutter, mutter....

Anybody want to buy a hardly-used electric mountain bike, before I start modding it?
One possibly would think any controller maybe of a solid state mini type whether one will have good access or the room to actually fit anything else isn't really worth the bother.

Sailorbass

Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2020
Insync have been in touch:

"Our Shock e bikes work in this way as there are no controls for the module to go up and down. The controller is a Santroll WZKD3610KA-Hero1-F4"

I've asked 3 "ebike repairers" in Manchester if they would fit an upgraded controller and handlebar display for me. They all said it wasn't the sort of thing they did. So, I'll put the bike up for sale completely unmodded and unmolested.

There is another, more important, reason why I can't get on with the Insync Shock - it's cadence-sensing, and I'm used to riding a torque-sensing set-up (Tongsheng mid-drive fitted to a venerable Specialized Rockhopper Pro with a great deal of support from people here). Of course, they give very different rider experiences. I much prefer the torque sensing. It's very much a personal choice thing plus, in my case, "better the devil you know".

So, chalk it up to experience, sell the Insync bike and look for a torque-sensing electric MTB with modern frame geometry. I'll start another thread about that.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If you want TS mtb and not a tdzs kit, then you will have to buy a branded closed system bike like bosh, yamaha et al.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
No only the bosh type et al and the tdzs kit, all others are cadence type which use the better current control rather then the cheapo crappy speed control.

Suntour use TS with their unreliable hub control systems.

Current control (torque simualtion) is not to be confused with TS, current control is still cadence PAS but with nice varying power levels of current.
Speed control are generally nasty control systems which give max current/ power at low speeds.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Problem with used and two years old is you are stuffed having no warranty.
£1500 for a TS mtb new is likely not enough.

Why not put a 48v 250w Tdzs on a good used mtb.

Sailorbass

Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2020
Well, I'm not a bike mechanic - I'd rather ride bikes than work on them. The Tongsheng on my old Specialized turned out really well, after a few teething problems. Somewhat by accident, I managed to put together an electric mountain bike with a mid-drive torque-sensing system that is much better than just about anything else I've ridden. However, I'd like (manual) disc brakes all round (no rear frame lugs on Specialized), a more up-to-date frame geometry where I can be a little more upright and take some stress off my hands and arms, and A sleeker, more integrated look that gets away from the battery-bolted-to-downtube-as-afterthought look.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Well, I'm not a bike mechanic - I'd rather ride bikes than work on them. The Tongsheng on my old Specialized turned out really well, after a few teething problems. Somewhat by accident, I managed to put together an electric mountain bike with a mid-drive torque-sensing system that is much better than just about anything else I've ridden. However, I'd like (manual) disc brakes all round (no rear frame lugs on Specialized), a more up-to-date frame geometry where I can be a little more upright and take some stress off my hands and arms, and A sleeker, more integrated look that gets away from the battery-bolted-to-downtube-as-afterthought look.
If you don't have the budget for a new branded TS mid drive bike, then find a bike to suit your requirements and fit the Tongsheng. Your only comprimise is the battery style factory. You have tried the form over function with the Insync and found it seriously lacking. Intergrated batteries deff. improve the looks of a bike, but will either cost you a fortune to replace, or will be unavailable on lesser brands.

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh