no need for high cadence

trevor brooker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2018
maidstone
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/02/190212120114.htm

Pedalling at cadence greater than 90 revolutions per minute is advantageous for professional cyclists, but appears inefficient for recreational cyclists.

When cycling at low exercise intensity, skeletal muscle oxygenation is mostly unaffected by cadence, indicating that the cardiopulmonary and circulatory systems can effectively meet the exercising muscles' demand.

Reactions: Eagleowl

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Pedalling at cadence greater than 90 revolutions per minute is advantageous for professional cyclists, but appears inefficient for recreational cyclists.
high cadence is needed for crank drive bikes, especially with torque sensor.
You get more power with the cadence, put less stress on the motor and transmission.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Different people's idea of high cadence are very different. 90 is decidedly high for me. The Bosch range assistant seems to give very similar range results over a wide variation of cadence; with a peak at 70 to 89 but not very much change significantly outside that peak. When I get lazy (cadence 50???) the gear suggestion indicator often suggests lower gear, higher cadence.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I always recommend a cadence of 70+ for CD bikes.
Maximum power is usually optimised at 90 RPM.

• Agree
Reactions: E-Wheels

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
When cycling at low exercise intensity, skeletal muscle oxygenation is mostly unaffected by cadence, indicating that the cardiopulmonary and circulatory systems can effectively meet the exercising muscles' demand.
The risk at low cadences is more a matter of joint damage, particularly the knees which cyclists often damage.

Slogging up hills at very low cadences like 40 is very damaging and a good way to ensure suffering severe arthritis in older age. In high load circumstances like hills it's always best to change down and keep at 60 or more cadence.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I would have thought that high cadence is simply wasting energy in moving your legs rather than propelling the bike.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
@ Roberticus

you reacted with an 'offensive language' - may I ask why?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I would have thought that high cadence is simply wasting energy in moving your legs rather than propelling the bike.
Comfort. I am happy at 90 -> 100, especially on the trike. Here is a graph done by boffins in white coats showing the sweet spot is between 82 and 94 for most people:

power-vs-cadence.png

Not that you can produce more power pedalling backwards then forwards. Now there is a design challenge for bike builders! :)

Nefarious

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2016
South Yorkshire; S11
Cadence, for me at least, is much more about comfort than worrying what the motor is doing with it. Too low and you risk joint damage, as others have said, too high and you get that uncomfortable spinning feeling when there is not enough resistance. I've never actually looked at what the actual number is on my display (I am always more interested in knowing my speed) but you know when you're in the zone!

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Comfort. I am happy at 90 -> 100, especially on the trike.
:)
That is the sweet spot for generating maximum power. More important for most of us is most efficient for generating required amount of power. And by 'efficient' I don't just mean energy consumed, but also comfort and prevention of joint damage (as others have said).

I think for me the sweet spot is probably around 80 watts, 65 rpm. I haven't measured my cadence for many years, and only every measured my power output on silly stationary machines that require much to low a cadence.

Reactions: Eagleowl

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
best compromise may be a torque sensor rear geared hub bike.
You can pedal at any RPM you like and still save on wear and tear.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Why do you think race riders typically use around 90 cadence, often higher? It's because it's more efficient using less energy than slogging, with being less physically damaging as a bonus.

Slartibartfast

Pedelecer
Jan 4, 2019
I have a CD and found that between 70 to 85 cadence (depending on the climb gradient) gives the best boost from the motor. I find if I am struggling in a higher gear, the bike will be as well, the range is less, the boost not very effective, and it just feels stressed. Change down to a more suitable gear for the climb, cadence goes up, bike and I are much happier.

Roberticus

Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2018
Rotherham
Woosh,

Sorry but have no idea what you mean.
I haven't posted in this thread and certainly haven't written anything offensive !
Unless there is another Roberticus ? Possible but unlikely !
Regards,
Rob

Ps sorry can't do the 'quotes' thingy

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Woosh,

Sorry but have no idea what you mean.
I haven't posted in this thread and certainly haven't written anything offensive !
Unless there is another Roberticus ? Possible but unlikely !
Regards,
Rob

Ps sorry can't do the 'quotes' thingy
Have a look at post #4 bottom rh corner, click on 'show all' and your name comes up against the 'offensive language' emcion.

Roberticus

Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2018
Rotherham
Hi, thanks for that, but I still don't understand why it says that.
All I have done so far is read the thread , I haven't posted anything until my first reply to you.

Nefarious

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2016
South Yorkshire; S11
Hi, thanks for that, but I still don't understand why it says that.
All I have done so far is read the thread , I haven't posted anything until my first reply to you.
I suppose you must have inadvertently 'reacted' to post #4 without realising it. If you hover your mouse over the smiley on any post in the thread, you will see all the available reactions, the offensive language one being on the far right. You can remove any reactions made by mistake in the same way!

KeithH

Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2013
essex
"The risk at low cadences is more a matter of joint damage, particularly the knees which cyclists often damage." etc
Hi Flecc
Just interested to know if there's any published evidence for this especially the later arthritis.
BW
Keith

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Just interested to know if there's any published evidence for this especially the later arthritis.
I have arthritis, so I am quite sensitive to the effect of prolonged high pressure on the joints, especially knee joint pain.
Pressure = pain = torque
so less torque = less pain. For the same amount of resulting power, the torque is inversely proportional to the angular speed or RPM.

KeithH

Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2013
essex
True, if you've already got arthritic joints. I'm not sure about causation. Stairs exacerbate arthritic pain but walking upstairs didn't necessarily cause them in the first place.
K

• Agree
Reactions: flecc