no pas wattage output showing on lcd3 with new controller set up

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
hello all I have just replaced 15amp kt controller with the 17amp on 350w rear moter kit
earlier today I wrote down the pas levels 1-5 wattage readout on lcd3 display.
I have changed the bullet connectors on new kt 17amp controller to xt60 as all my battery conections are xts.
I have installed new pas sensor, lcd3 lead, 9 pin moter cable was from an older ebc setup

rather than make a nice neat job of tiding cables ,I have bike on maintenance stand and turning the peddles lcd3 seems to be ok mph rises and decreases , no error messages, but the wattage pas output remains at zero regardless of which pas I choose.

what should I check , I have not changed any settings on lcd 3 no throttle is fitted

hi all I have just tried this again ,the pas kicks in and wattage displays if I turn the peddles BACKWARDS the pas sensor seems a bit loose on the crank arm?

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
So it is now working ? Might be a poor contact somewhere check for any pins that may have backed out or poor connector that needs a little crimping better.
If the pas is slipping V12L ?
Use a wrap or two of tape on the BB axle for tighter grip.

Ultimately yo should have no problem as my Yose hub work fine with 20a KT.

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
DSCF1668.JPG thanks nealh cannot find anything obviously wrong,
but have noticed the kt pas sensor which I received with the kt square wave controller ordered in error is marked kt v6, the other one ive used on my rear wheel ebc kit is kt v12l .

if I turn the kt v6 clockwise on the bike the moter wheel runs forwards.
if I turn the peddles the moter wheel only works in reverse.
if I try the kt v 12l nothing works at all

all wires on controller and leads seem to be correct as regards colours matching
I have changed the 3 leads on ktv12l to correspond with controller brown/black/yellow.
thumb throttle leads was red/black/blue on controller red/black /white on throttle these line up so should be ok?

turning the peddle I do not have power to the moter (lcd is lit and shows info) I set throttle to p=0 but nothing on throttle either

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
C1 setting for V12 needs a different parameter to work use 5, 6 or 7.

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
hi nealh nom joy with 17amp controller, I refitted the 15amp one, and pas julet as supplied with the 350w kit, all works fine throttle and pas.

trying the 17amp control;ler cannot get pas to work.
I then fitted the square wave 17 amp controller but found I only got pas when I back peddled,

re fitting the 17 amp sine wave al;l I keep getting is error 03 which is moter cable related, (I did find one pin was slightly bent in moter lead) but everything worked with the 15 amp set up.

so now completely stuck
c6 is default (I have the settings from elieshop)

Ajax

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
hi nealh nom joy with 17amp controller, I refitted the 15amp one, and pas julet as supplied with the 350w kit, all works fine throttle and pas.

trying the 17amp control;ler cannot get pas to work.
I then fitted the square wave 17 amp controller but found I only got pas when I back peddled,

re fitting the 17 amp sine wave al;l I keep getting is error 03 which is moter cable related, (I did find one pin was slightly bent in moter lead) but everything worked with the 15 amp set up.

so now completely stuck
c6 is default (I have the settings from elieshop)
Going by your earlier post, i'd say the PAS wire connections on the new controller isn't the same as the pin outs on the older controller. This could cause the motor to run backwards, or not work at all, I've found that controller manufactures will swop the odd wire on the PAS, the same could be true on your throttle.

Another explaination could be the hall sensor wires, the wiring tends to be consistant, but you never know. If the colors don't match, this could be the source of your problems. Do you know of both controllers work to the same phase. I believe you can have the hall sensors on 60 degree or 120 degree phase. I'm afraid its going to be a case of trial by elimination. As you recapped most of your wires, i'd also check for dry solder.

On the PAS, try and find the the 5v and the grounds, then work from there, find and check the signal wire with the ground..

Last edited:

Ajax

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
View attachment 25046 thanks nealh cannot find anything obviously wrong,
but have noticed the kt pas sensor which I received with the kt square wave controller ordered in error is marked kt v6, the other one ive used on my rear wheel ebc kit is kt v12l .

if I turn the kt v6 clockwise on the bike the moter wheel runs forwards.
if I turn the peddles the moter wheel only works in reverse.
if I try the kt v 12l nothing works at all

all wires on controller and leads seem to be correct as regards colours matching
I have changed the 3 leads on ktv12l to correspond with controller brown/black/yellow.
thumb throttle leads was red/black/blue on controller red/black /white on throttle these line up so should be ok?

turning the peddle I do not have power to the moter (lcd is lit and shows info) I set throttle to p=0 but nothing on throttle either

Don't assume the color of the wire are a match. did you get a schematic for the new controller? find your grounds, then check for the supply wire, that's usually a 5v reference for the Pas.

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
thanks ajax
looking on psw power for controller wiring
the pas wires are black (gnd) brown 5v+ yellow signal the pas sensor has the same colour coding.

with battery connected to controller, my multimeter set to 20v dc, black probe to black gnd wire, red probe to brown I could get no reading, tried another multimeter ,same result.
I suspect my multimeter is not sensitive enough? DSCF1669.JPG

Ajax

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
thanks ajax
looking on psw power for controller wiring
the pas wires are black (gnd) brown 5v+ yellow signal the pas sensor has the same colour coding.

with battery connected to controller, my multimeter set to 20v dc, black probe to black gnd wire, red probe to brown I could get no reading, tried another multimeter ,same result.
I suspect my multimeter is not sensitive enough? View attachment 25076
You wont get anything from the yellow wire on the controller side, as the controller is of course reading the input from the pas. and that will only produces a signal when the magnets are rotating. Have tried your old Pas with the new controller?

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
no lcd connected , battery to controller, pas was not rotating , did not give that a thought./

cannot use the pas that came with kit and is working, because its julet connecter, new 17amp controller has the jst type