Noise when motor working hard

AnastieByte

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 19, 2019
I bought a used Giant Dirt-E+2. All going well until a local bike shop noticed that the cassette, chainring, and chain were worn. I arranged for them (a Giant Dealer) to replace them. On riding home when all was good until I hit the inclines when the bike would make a "creaking" noise from the motor/chainset area. When I came off the incline and there was less stress on the pedals no noise. I wondered if something needed time to bed in. I've been on a 20-mile ride today and its still there. No noise when freewheeling or pedaling on flat. But the minute I put more effort in on inclines the noise returns!

Any ideas.

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016
I bought a used Giant Dirt-E+2. All going well until a local bike shop noticed that the cassette, chainring, and chain were worn. I arranged for them (a Giant Dealer) to replace them. On riding home when all was good until I hit the inclines when the bike would make a "creaking" noise from the motor/chainset area. When I came off the incline and there was less stress on the pedals no noise. I wondered if something needed time to bed in. I've been on a 20-mile ride today and its still there. No noise when freewheeling or pedaling on flat. But the minute I put more effort in on inclines the noise returns!

Any ideas.

AnastieByte

Sep 19, 2019
Ouch! Thanks for the link sad reading but helpful info. I paid a lot of money second hand for the bike. Which didn't make this sound until the bike shop replaced the past. With this information Ill contact them. Cheers

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
could be the motor bolts creaking lube and tighten them first and see if that gets rid of it.

if not then peter could have a look at it inside and see what the problem is.

Reactions: AnastieByte

AnastieByte

Sep 19, 2019
Thanks all. The local bike shop who did the previously mentioned work has agreed to lubricate and check the bolts for me next week. The link above is helpful too should I need to send the motor away. Cheaper than a new bike!

AnastieByte

Sep 19, 2019
Update:
I got the bike back yesterday after the LBS removed the motor mounting bolts and lubricated them. The bike is creaking no more. Let's see how long it lasts but for £30 I'm happy.

Advertisers