Non Typical Data for a fast commute (18.5 miles)

Bob_about

Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2009
Warks/Glos Border
First, thanks to Vikki and Mussels for posting up their more typical data in a previous thread. It was seeing the results Mussels had uploaded onto "SportyPal" which prompted me to instal that surprisingly good little free app for my phone and gather some more data myself.

See :
Fast run to the office
Fast run home on same charge

My bike is a little "naughty" as I can run it derestricted, and having two batteries in paralel hooked up to a powerful Ezee hub gives loads of assistance if I want to use it. I also add a fair bit of effort myself.

My aim when setting out with e-commuting was to be able to get to the office in between 60 and 75 minutes - pleased to report I manage that almost every time and in these examples managed to break the 60 minute barrier!

The results above are, however, the first time I have tried using full power all the way in both directions on a single charge. Since starting cycle commuting it has surprised me that I have become less obsessed with speed and actually enjoy my journeys more. So most days I take it a bit steadier, hence the title - non typical!

Just thought it may be interesting to see what can bee achieved if you blast it.

The batteries were still showing good capacity when I got home, with all battery lights showing up again after a minute or so.

All the best

Bob_about

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
That's pretty quick. My 906 is closer to that than the 905 that I posted up in the other thread, one day I'll try a rural trip to see how much difference the London traffic and junctions make. The 906 average speed is 27km/h (17mph) so I have a target to beat now, I need to improve my junction handling. :)

Bob_about

Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2009
Warks/Glos Border
Yep - Junctions seem key - on the morning I made that run I think the first time I used the brakes was 6 miles in, and after that hardly at all - I think I arrived at every light and roundabout just right - fortunately I have some cycle lanage to use through Warwick and Leamington which helps as well.

All the best for a sunny weekend

Bob_about

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
Wow, that's really flying :eek:

How do I see the data in mph? kph means nothing to me :(

You and your bike keep a good steady pace there. Reminding me: I was coming in behind a non-ebiker this morning and the guy was keeping up a good 17mph. I couldn't pass him as I'd have had to steam myself to do it so I tagged along behind him. Funny, though, he kept looking back to see if I was still there.

Him in his cycling gear, me in my wet weather gear. I wonder what was going through his mind :D

Interesting data you have collected there. It's surprising what it looks like when you actually get to see it, isn't it?

Best regards.

Vikki.

Bob_about

Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2009
Warks/Glos Border
I think there is a link top right below the word "Blog" next to the Login link which lets you switch between metric and imperial units.

I agree its a nonsense in kms - lets hope the coalition leaders will let us get rid of kms altogether!

It is really interesting to see actual performance laid out in this way - I dont especially intend to use it to achieve anything faster or different with my cycling, but I guess it may allow comparisons over time and in different conditions (eg temperature)

I`m off to North Wales later this afternoon for the weekend, so may even try tracking our weekend walks as well!

All the best

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
The Gov., have :D

They've stopped departments delivering reports in km when everyone else in UK uses miles. Hooray! Finally, some sense.

I found a cycling route site and all the distances where in km. I emailed the guy and said 'this is the UK, our measurement system is imperial and km mean nothing to me or most other people'. He emailed me back saying 'Fair point, miles are now shown as well." Good chap, I emailed back and thanked him.

Enjoy your weekend :D

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
Thanks for the pointer. Don't know how I missed that. Yep, makes more sense in mph. I'm dead impressed at your stats.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Gov., have :D

They've stopped departments delivering reports in km when everyone else in UK uses miles. Hooray! Finally, some sense.
Not everyone else in the UK, there's me :p, and not always sense for this site, we have many members in a variety of metric countries. It's even arguable that kilometres should always be used on the web since metric is probably the more universal measure

When I'm posting a reply to someone who I know to be in a metric country, I use kilometres, leaving it to other members reading the post to convert back if they wish. When I write something I know will be read internationally I sometimes use both as in this sentence:

An owner in average territory who has settled on a easy to get range of, lets say, 35 miles (56 km), could at any time extend that by 10 or 15 miles (16 to 24 km) if the need arose since the additional cycling effort would be so small.

Dynamic Position

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2009
My bike is a little "naughty" as I can run it derestricted, and having two batteries in paralel hooked up to a powerful Ezee hub gives loads of assistance if I want to use it. I also add a fair bit of effort myself.

The results above are, however, the first time I have tried using full power all the way in both directions on a single charge. Since starting cycle commuting it has surprised me that I have become less obsessed with speed and actually enjoy my journeys more. So most days I take it a bit steadier, hence the title - non typical!

Just thought it may be interesting to see what can bee achieved if you blast it.

The batteries were still showing good capacity when I got home, with all battery lights showing up again after a minute or so.

All the best

Bob_about
I find that going faster is more efficient in terms of battery range.:eek:
Slowing down by a couple of mph means the assist is kicking in and using up more juice from the battery!:( If traffic conditions don't allow :cool: high speed travel, then I can select the low assistance mode.:)

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Kilometres are a much more optimistic measurement then MPH........When on Looong motorhome journeys through Europe, the KPH just peal away in a satisfactory fashion, whereas with MPH you feel like you are getting nowhere:rolleyes:

Dynamic Position

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2009
Kilometres are a much more optimistic measurement then MPH........When on Looong motorhome journeys through Europe, the KPH just peal away in a satisfactory fashion, whereas with MPH you feel like you are getting nowhere:rolleyes:
When in Belgium I set the speed to read in KPH. My son thought we reached our destination very quickly because be were travelling at 100+, much more fun than the 70mph back home.:confused:

Just had a thought, I now qualify for membership of the european e-bikers 60+ Club!:eek::D

Bob_about

Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2009
Warks/Glos Border
.... I'm dead impressed at your stats.
Thank you - I bet you say that to all Ezee Riders!

Not everyone else in the UK, there's me :p, .
Just as well it displays in either flavour then!

I must admit I always refer to my running events as 10k runs, but somehow I always think about my cycling or walking in miles - bizarre?

Just back from a cracking weekend in North Wales, but no bikes!

ATB Bob_about

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I must admit I always refer to my running events as 10k runs, but somehow I always think about my cycling or walking in miles - bizarre?
I constantly switch between imperial and metric with all measurement forms since each has it's suitabilities, possibly as much due to my engineering background of using metric as well during Britain's pre-metric days.

Last edited:

Bob_about

Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2009
Warks/Glos Border
Anyone understand GPS?

A bit wierd, but I set my phone (an HTC) recording my walks this weekend as my mate had just bought a new Garmin and we wanted to compare (sad I know - but boys and toys - what can you say)

I have two programmes on the phone which record GPS data: Memory Map, and now Sporty Pal

For Saturday we set an ambitious route up the Glyders and we both hit "start" at the same time.

Sporty Pal rekons we covered 8.53 miles and climbed 3451 feet
Workout Details - SportyPal

whereas Memory Map rekons we covered 7.91 miles and climbed 3421 feet
Glyders Walk by bob_about at Garmin Connect - Details

I`m struggling to understand how that could happen on the same device?

Cracking day though!

All the best

Bob_about

HittheroadJ

Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2010
Northern Ireland, BT1
I suspect it may be related to the ascent & descent combined with different algorithms.
Handheld GPS's are not that accurate with regards to altitude, so that may easily affect the results.

Have you taken bike-rides together on much flatter terrain and compared or uploaded each other's sets of data to each other's sites? (use GPSbabel to conver to Garmin format if needed).

A bit wierd, but I set my phone (an HTC) recording my walks this weekend as my mate had just bought a new Garmin and we wanted to compare (sad I know - but boys and toys - what can you say)

I have two programmes on the phone which record GPS data: Memory Map, and now Sporty Pal

For Saturday we set an ambitious route up the Glyders and we both hit "start" at the same time.

Sporty Pal rekons we covered 8.53 miles and climbed 3451 feet
Workout Details - SportyPal

whereas Memory Map rekons we covered 7.91 miles and climbed 3421 feet
Glyders Walk by bob_about at Garmin Connect - Details

I`m struggling to understand how that could happen on the same device?

Cracking day though!

All the best

Bob_about