Northern Ireland Helmet Law DON'T CONFUSE ME WITH FACTS

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Once again this is what happens when legislators listen to medical professionals. The latter are so revered by the population at large that it goes to their heads and they think themselves masters of all subjects.

Opinions expressed by most medical professionals on the benefits of helmets are worthless, they are not engineers and have little idea of the effectiveness of the designs and materials and the physics involved.

They also seem unaware of the disastrous effect on cycling incidence that enforced helmet wearing produces. Australia has enforcement and the lowest cycling rate of any country in the world, while the Netherlands where almost no-one wears helmets has the highest rate of cycling in the world, and one of the lowest accident rates.

D

Deleted member 4366

On the subject of design of cycle helmets: I wear a hemet most of the time and I have the same type as what I see most cyclists have, but the design doesn't seem very practical from my point of view regarding protection. They sit on top of the head with bit's sticking out the back and front, which most likely will knock the hemet off in a collision. The type that stunt cyclists wear seem much better, but nobody seems to use them on the road. Is it a fashion thing, or am I missing something?

Also, they let wasps and other insects through the slots in the top, which makes you panic out of control, while you try and get it off!

Last edited by a moderator:

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
.......They sit on top of the head with bit's sticking out the back and front, which most likely will knock the hemet off in a collision. The type that stunt cyclists wear seem much better, but nobody seems to use them on the road. Is it a fashion thing, or am I missing something?
Its worse than that the high mounting position and protrusions have the potential to increase the twisting force upon the neck in the event of an accident...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
On the subject of design of cycle helmets:........... They sit on top of the head with bit's sticking out the back and front, which most likely will knock the hemet off in a collision.
I actually once saw this happen to one of a group of three mountain bikers ahead of me. He lost control with a front suspension wobble over a long infill section on the tarmac road and went over the bars. He had a double hit on the road, the helmet off onto the back on the first one and a big gash and swelling on the forehead on the second impact. I'd think that's probably a frequent occurrence, given kerbs and the amount of miscellaneous street furniture these days.

These Casco helmets seem to be better from a stability point of view.

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
As one who has never worn a helmet, well, not thus far anyway, I've never given much thought to cycling helmets but I can see the points made by d8veh as dedicated cycling helmets have always looked strange to my eye.

As it happens, I have noticed a couple of cyclists recently wearing the sort of helmet usually worn by jockeys and horsie types in general. They seem to me better constructed items and more appropriate for their purpose than the plasticky ones I've seen on the pretend tour de France riders with the de rigueur, wrap-around sunglasses, even when there's no sun. Having said that, I expect they're all made from some kind of plastic or another these days.

Also, I may have simply missed it but I've never yet seen a motorcyclist wearing one of those gaily-painted cycling helmets. Methinks there may be a very good reason for that!

If you tell me cyclists need their particular type because of the weight factor and theirs weigh about the same as a bluetit's tail feather rather than the motorcycling type which weigh closer to a hundredweight of anthracite, then I'll understand.

Indalo

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've never yet seen a motorcyclist wearing one of those gaily-painted cycling helmets. Methinks there may be a very good reason for that!
The good reason is that it's an offence. :)

See my post above for the source of the "horse riding type" helmets for cycling.

10mph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 13, 2010
England
I was once at the bedside of an intensive care patient, who had somersaulted several times on a steep/fast off-road descent. He had broken ribs, some lung damage, a bang on the side of his head which caused slight internal bleeding and pressure rise, but no brain op was needed and after some days he made a complete recovery - well after some months for the ribs to recover.

He had been wearing the type of plastic cycling helmet which sticks out front and back and I think it was of reasonable quality. The helmet had taken a battering and part at the back was broken off, some bits were missing presumably left on the trail. However, the medical conclusion was that it could have been a lot worse without the helmet.

After witnessing the outcome of that accident, I always wear my helmet (cyclist type not horse rider) even for my normal 10 mph riding. I do get some odd looks and words from kids. I think they wonder why a somewhat elderly rider without any lycra proceeding at 10mph or less, bothers with a speedy looking helmet. Wait till I get my electric bike - I will burn them up on the hills or into the wind.

tonio

Pedelecer
Aug 15, 2009
I think its more about control than safety. Like the multiplication of CCTV cameras and making criminals of people who get their recycling mixed up.

The more corrupt the republic, the more numerous the laws. ~Tacitus, Annals

Orraman

Pedelecer
May 4, 2008
Scientist Dr Ian Walker did practical tests and concluded that ~~

Wearing helmets 'more dangerous'
Cyclists who wear protective helmets are more likely to be knocked down by passing vehicles, new research from Bath University suggests.
The study found drivers tend to pass closer when overtaking cyclists wearing helmets than those who are bare-headed.

More information in A to B magazine October 2006 issue 56 page 28.

Dave
BBC NEWS | UK | England | Somerset | Wearing helmets 'more dangerous'

D

Deleted member 4366

What about the wasps. Has anybody else had a wasp in their helmet? I didn't get stung, but I didn't half panic trying to get the helmet off while pedalling along. I guess bright yellow helmets should be avoided (mine was orange).

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Nanny State

The State won`t rest until it`s taxed everything or legislated on the rest . We motorcyclists have been through all of this years ago , so this looks like the start of a campaign on cyclists . The attraction of cycling is the lack of rules and things like tax and insurance and if this is curtailed , many would give up . I`ve been riding Motorcycles for 53 years and have always worn a helmet , even when it was not compulsory and I now always wear one on my E bike and cycles . It`s the element of compulsion I don`t like .
This is a problem with devolved powers to the Regions . They want to make history by doing something that the UK as a whole hasn`t yet done . Here in Wales they want to ban plastic bags , but as a first move they get the shops to charge 7 pence and say that the money raised must go to environmental projects , but nobody is collecting the money , except the shop . There are no checks or balances on potentially loony ideas in the Regions on the part of the Westminster Government. As I cycle along I see the verges strewn with plastic drink containers , but these are not mentioned !
It could be N.I today , the rest of us tomorrow .

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
I once had a wasp in a helmet vent, I felt something hit my head and poked a finger I to the vent. It then stung my forehead, which was not pleasant. However as a mountain biker for the last fifteen or so years, I've lost count of the number of times a helmet has saved me from serious head injury. I also wear a motorcycle helmet, and would even if it was not a legal requirement.

I'm not sure I believe this study about wearing a helmet causing drivers to come closer. It's always held up as a definitive piece of research by the anti helmet legislation brigade.

That said, I don't think bicycle helmets should be a legal requirement, too many civil liberties are legislated against by the so called Nanny State already.

Also, modern mountain bike helmets have increased protection around the base of the skull, but road helmets do not, the reason road riders resist this is because in their aerodynamic "tuck" their back is almost horizontal with their head raised, which would create discomfort if the helmet interfered. Mountains bikes are typically more upright and riding positions are more dynamic.

Also, the peak on the front of any quality helmet is designed to detach itself in the event of an impact and as such is not strong enough to knock the helmet backwards off your head, indeed misplacing a correctly fitted helmet is very difficult, although it does happen, even occasionally with well fitting motorcycle helmets.

Last edited:

Synthman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2010
Oxford
I've had a pine cone fall from a great height and hit me straight on the head when out on the bike last year. I saw it coming but couldn't avoid it. It bounced off my helmet. If I wasn't wearing it there's a tiny possibility that it would have hurt a bit and distracted me enough to cause an accident.

Patrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2009
I'm always amazed at how many people I see on the roads without helmets, every day on the way to work I must spot hundreds of pedestrians crossing the road with no protective head gear at all :eek:. What if they're knocked over by a car or trip over an untied shoelace?!?!:mad:

Personally I always wear mine unless I'm safely strapped down (have you noticed how much more limited your choice of sofas is if you insist on buying one with five point harnesses built in :(, I ended up having to go to some obscure little shop that for some reason also sold a wide range of leather and rubber goods :confused: ).

Patrick

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
Put a 10" metal spike on the centre of ever steering wheel, that'll improve road safety for all...

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
These Casco helmets seem to be better from a stability point of view.
Yes, but have you read the blurb that goes with that link:

"Casco have designed the E.motion helmets specifically for electric bicycle riders. The result is future-retro styling, great ventilation, easy fitting and superb safety."

What a load of *******.

a) Designed specifically for electric bicycle riders means designed specifically for people that they think have more money than sense, hence the price of the helmet!

b) What the feck is 'future-retro styling'? I ran a design company for decades, and tried (and failed) to ban designer-talk from the premises. Despair!

Oh, but thanks as ever for the link, Flecc.

Allen.

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Casco Helmets

I know we really value our heads but £110 for that E helmet is taking the p** . I only spent £100 recently on a nice HJC Full Face Motorcycle helmet with retractable sun visor . Has someone told them that E machines are limited to 15 mph .Perhaps they have been looking at the 60 mph Ebay machine .You might see these helmets on rider`s in London , but I don`t expect to see any here in S.Wales . If I do, you`ll be the first to know and I might eat my £5 Lidl model .