Not a new member but now a posting member !

surfer6900

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 21, 2014
Hi all
I've been lurking this board for a couple of years now and recently had some advice for d8veh & earlier Jerry Simon.
So I thought it was only polite that i introduce myself at last.
Forstly this forum is amazing & special thanks to the to posters I've mentioned for their time and advice so far.

I'm in the NW and do a 22 mile round trip commute every day, country lanes and A roads.
I've a second hand modified / butchered (take your pick), Momentum Electric Upstart with a throttle, disconnected tourque sensing bottom bracket and replacement controller from what I can see.
All mods were done by the previous owner.
The battery gets me the whole round trip and more on one charge, so I'm more than happy.

I also own a Brompton which I like to electrify one day, but funds are lacking.

I got the Upstart as a cheapish way into electric biking and love it.
Looking into ways to improve performance and tweak a few things to make my commute slightly faster & more comfortable.

Hope to learn to build my own conversion one day, but using this forum to improve my knowledge and confidence.

Thanks
Steve

D

Deleted member 4366

If funds are tight, the only logical way to increase your bike's performance is with a 12S lipo pack, which will give 20% more speed and torque. You might be able to squeeze 5ah into the existing case. If you need more than that, you'll have to figure out how to mount it.

Before messing about with lipos, you need to swat up on how to manage them - safety, charging procedures, monitoring etc.

surfer6900

Jul 21, 2014
I have the E-Crazyman EB306 controller matched to the 8FUN SWXK 36V250W motor.
I've read a little about the e-crazyman contollers being programmable, but can't find anything specific to the EB306.
I'd also like a LCD Display monitor. Is there any that you could recommend from BMS ?

surfer6900

Jul 21, 2014
Hi D8veh
Are you suggesting a new controller rather than the e-crazyman I already have?
I was going to get a watt meter in the mix somewhere and wondered if any of the LCD monitors would give me battery info ? Also, I'd like to delimit the motor from 15.5 to get about 17-18mph. Is this possible?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Is your motor sensorless (3 wires) or sensored (3 + 5 wires)?

The E-Crazyman controllers don't have a speed limit, so if your motor only does 15mph. that's as fast as it'll go with 36v.

You can check whether there's a speed limit:
Fully charge the battery. Lift the wheel off the ground and spin it to full speed with the throttle. Measure the speed with a cycle computer. Go out for a ride to use up at least half of the battery. Repeat the test. If the wheel spins more slowly than before, there's no speed limit. You'll therefore need more volts to get more speed.

Most controllers with LCD don't show useful battery info. It would be better to get a wattmeter like this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hot-GT-Power-RC-130A-LCD-Battery-Balance-Watt-Meter-Meter-Power-Analyzer-OFUK-/281337871548?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item41810b3cbc

There's a couple of different ways to modify it so that you can mount it where you can see it. Have a look at this first to get some idea of what's involved:

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/the-best-value-wattmeter.16869/#post-208428

Alternatively you can buy a Speedict, which shows battery info on your Android phone.

To program the E-Crazyman controller, you can find some threads on Endless sphere that explain. You need a serial header to USB cable plus the programming software. You can buy the cable from E-crazeyman or make your own.