Not safe even in Tunbridge Wells

Slartibartfast

Pedelecer
Jan 4, 2019
Out and about on my Haibike Trekking. Need your wits about you cycling anywhere these days, even Tunbridge Wells. You couldn't miss me as I was all hi-vizzed up and had my lights on. Still, no harm done this time. Still, gives me a chance to muck about with my editing software anyway:

That was Sunday 3rd Feb 0219. No snow here but it was a damn cold, crisp and beautiful day.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Out and about on my Haibike Trekking. Need your wits about you cycling anywhere these days, even Tunbridge Wells. You couldn't miss me as I was all hi-vizzed up and had my lights on. Still, no harm done this time. Still, gives me a chance to muck about with my editing software anyway:

That was Sunday 3rd Feb 0219. No snow here but it was a damn cold, crisp and beautiful day.
Software not bad picture wise, but did you intend for us to hear or not hear your comments? As on my laptop with everything turned up, I could not understand a single word! You need to post either with a higher sound level, or remove the sound completely.
With regards to the video, you should give your local police a copy, before she kills someone. else on a bike....
regards
Andy

Reactions: Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Pedelecer
Jan 4, 2019
Yeah I thought that with the sound. In fact I thought I had turned it off! Editing programmes are not exactly intuitive.

Didn't think about the Police, not a bad idea.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Yeah I thought that with the sound. In fact I thought I had turned it off! Editing programmes are not exactly intuitive.

Didn't think about the Police, not a bad idea.
The person needs to be made aware and the police are the best ones to do it!
They prefer that job to going to loved telling them someone is injured or worse....
It was just appalling driving, but that is more than enough!!
I personally feel that the sound should also be made available to the Police at least, maybe for your posts as well maybe..........
By reporting it, you may have saved someone else from possible injury.....
Great picture quality, what do you use for a Camera?
regards
Andy

russ18uk

Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2018
Been there, done that. Didn't then try and stay to the side of that car though! I would have backed off.

Slartibartfast

Pedelecer
Jan 4, 2019
Kent Police website doesn't seem to allow video or attachments, and it says things like 'be prepared to go to court...'. All I need to do is make them aware.

That camera is a 4 year old 'Kitvision' 720P HD go-pro lookalike that cost me £18 including all the waterproof case! It was on offer from £40, but I take it white water kayaking and it gets some pretty rough treatment as you can see from last weekend on the Tees in Yorkshire:

Reactions: Andy-Mat

Slartibartfast

Pedelecer
Jan 4, 2019
Been there, done that. Didn't then try and stay to the side of that car though! I would have backed off.
He wound his window down & slowed down to tell me to be more careful! As you say though, backing off is not a problem for me. I cycle very defensively, backing off is better than the alternative and I have no big ego to show off - but I do have a nice new shiny bike to protect!

russ18uk

Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2018
Yeah, his comment was ridiculous as he should know the highway code, having presumably passed his driving test. Giving way to the right at the roundabout being the obvious.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
i'm in no way defending the driver for not giving way to you at the roundabout as he should have done, but I think the majoraty of drivers do not calculate speed when they see a bike. "bicycle =slow" is a default setting to most. With more and more faster moving ebikes on the roads, there is a need for this to change.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I just watched the clip and thought what crap roadcraft, poor obs and post incident reaction. I would also say that the reaction by the driver was correct.

Approaching the Major Yorks roundabout from the A26, you correctly enter the right hand/straight over filter, then for some bizarre reason dive to the far right of the lane, instead of staying to the inner side/left of it.

You make no attempt to slow down at the approach, and would of clearly and easily seen that the driver of the red vehicle had not anticipated you speed. Instead of slowing down, you intentionally then choose to cycle aggressively towards the car, and even more stupidly illegally undertook for no reason on a pedestrian crossing.

You had every opportunity to safely slow down, not to undertake the car, and to avoided an incident of your own creation. I'd love to see the police reaction if you do forward it to them.

Carrying on riding like a twat, and someone will wipe you out, whether it be with a vehicle or fist, it will happen.

Last edited:

John doncaster dn6

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2018
The sun won't have helped. Its directly behind you and straight in the driver's eyes. They have already pulled out on you so stay well clear of them, let them get on down the road.

Reactions: EddiePJ

Slartibartfast

Pedelecer
Jan 4, 2019
Yeah, whatever. I am 56 years old and have cycled for many years. I am sure Mr Eddiepj you would have been perfect, giving you the right to post insulting comments after studying the video.

I was there, you were not, the camera is very wide angle and makes it look close, things happen quickly. He pulled out in front of me. End of. what makes you so qualified to judge me from your keyboard?

• Disagree
Reactions: EddiePJ
D

Deleted member 128

You posted the evidence, not me.

You were also the one to break the law, not me.

Why post a clip, if you don't want replies?
Yes indeed, reminds me of those complaining when they cycle up on the inside of a lorry or car and are upset when the vehicle turns left and knocks them off. Or the cyclists who go through lights on red and bitch and moan when a car hits them.
All road users, be they cyclists, motorists, lorry drivers, pedestrians, horse riders... need to realise that the roads are for all to use, follow the highway code and above all, show some common sense.

Slartibartfast

Pedelecer
Jan 4, 2019
Don't mind constructive replies as you can see, but why the superior attitude and insults? Maybe that is how you talk to people when you meet them. I don't.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
I think it's very easy in these type of situations, in the heat of the moment, to react in a way to show the offending road user the error of thier ways. Unfortunately, this can lead to you behaving in a way that looks more reckless than the original offender. I know, because I've done it many times, esp. on a motorcycle.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
cant see what the problem is as im not going to even watch it unless it is in 4k :p

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I would have ridden and reacted exactly the same as OP. but you have to be aware that there is in fact another rule about roundabouts. You must give way to any vehicle that's already on the roundabout. That rule takes precedence over the giving way to the right. It's what protects you on a slow bicycle from being rammed by cars coming from the right much faster than you after you've set off across or round it.
https://www.racv.com.au/on-the-road/driving-maintenance/road-safety/road-rules/archive/racv-road-rules-explains-who-gives-way-at-a-roundabout.html

Looking at the video, that red car was creeping on to it before the cyclist arrived. The car's back wheels are just behind its give-way line when the bicycle's front wheel have just reached its give-way line. You could say that the car was 60% on the roundabout before the bicycle arrived. How far do wheels have to be on a roundabout before you can say you're on it and have right of way?

The car cheated by not waiting at the give-way line while it waited for the other car to pass. Does that count?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 128

I would have ridden and reacted exactly the same as OP. but you have to be aware that there is in fact another rule about roundabouts. You must give way to any vehicle that's already on the roundabout. That rule takes precedence over the giving way to the right. It's what protects you on a slow bicycle from being rammed by cars coming from the right much faster than you after you've set off across or round it.
https://www.racv.com.au/on-the-road/driving-maintenance/road-safety/road-rules/archive/racv-road-rules-explains-who-gives-way-at-a-roundabout.html

Looking at the video, that red car was creeping on to it before the cyclist arrived. The car's back wheels are just behind its give-way line when the bicycle's front wheel have just reached its give-way line. You could say that the car was 60% on the roundabout before the bicycle arrived. How far do wheels have to be on a roundabout before you can say you're on it and have right of way?

The car cheated by not waiting at the give-way line while it waited for the other car to pass. Does that count?
But the OP is in the UK, not Australia.

Chris M

Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2018
Judging by the shadows the sun would have been a problem for the driver of the car. The car shouldn't go unless it is clear but I think the sun is a mitigating factor. When there is low sun right behind us we should be aware, whether driving or riding that people trying to pull out of a side road/roundabout may not be able to see us due to the sun.
Is this what might be called a Prince Philip?