Not yet an ebiker...

Slinkton

Just Joined
May 7, 2019
So, my names Marc and and I started cycling to work around 2 years ago after some cycling infrastructure was installed (on a regular, leg powered only bike, a distance of around 6 mile each way).
Most of the time i'm quite happy cycling to work under my own power but occasionally I need to go elsewhere or want to arrive without breaking a sweat (it's all uphill on the way home and almost always has a headwind).

On the occasions I leave the bike at home and use the car these days it always hits me how much I have gotten used to NOT being stuck in traffic, so it occured to me, maybe a pedelec as a 2nd bike may be the way forward.

When I first started cycling I bought a Voodoo Marasa which now sits in the garade unused as I have upgraded so it occured to me maybe I can upgrade this with an electric motor.

There seems to be a lot of options when it comes to electric bikes so I figured i'd ask some people in the know, Is the Marasa a suitable bike to upgrade? Is there a good "cheap" option for an upgrade given this won't be my daily driver? Any thoughts welcome. Thanks.

Reactions: LeighPing

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Hi welcome to the site

No matter how much you think your assisted bike would play second to an unpowered bike you will realise you can put the same effort into an assisted bike as an when you want but can cover twice the distance or half the time travelling
We all had good intentions at the start :)

Slinkton

Just Joined
May 7, 2019
Looks like a good candidate for conversion to me. you even have the toolbag to stick the controller in.
Sorry but what do you mean by toolbag? I currently have a luggage rack on the back, is there a "Normal" place i should be looking to place the controller?

Don't suppose you have any recommendations for kits to look at? There seems to be a lot of options, far as I can tell i need to make sure i get some adapters for my hydrolic brakes but not sure of anything else I need to look out for.

Hi welcome to the site

No matter how much you think your assisted bike would play second to an unpowered bike you will realise you can put the same effort into an assisted bike as an when you want but can cover twice the distance or half the time travelling
We all had good intentions at the start :)
Thanks, To be honest my hope is that i'll do it the other way, ideally I want an ebike to replace my car journeys and not my bike journeys. But I suppose we'll see.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
For comuting rear hub drive. Reliable motors, good weight distribution with a frame battery.
Have a look at Woosh kits. Good customer service, will answer your questions and give backup help. Although all that's available here. Plug and play kits so, apart from cable routing, no hassle. Switches for hydraulic brakes are available.

• Informative

Slinkton

Just Joined
May 7, 2019
For comuting rear hub drive. Reliable motors, good weight distribution with a frame battery.
Have a look at Woosh kits. Good customer service, will answer your questions and give backup help. Although all that's available here. Plug and play kits so, apart from cable routing, no hassle. Switches for hydraulic brakes are available.
Thanks, I've had a look through the site and see Woosh seem to get recommended a lot so think i'll likely use them. The kits look a lot tider than other options too given the combined battery/controller.

I don't have access to the bike at the moment, but looking through the instructions the only thing i'm not sure of is the Casette/freewheel, it's something ive never actually changed on a bike myself, is there an easy way to tell without removing the wheel? The Bike spec's don't seem clear either. bike spec's are here if anybody can advise if i'm just being daft https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/voodoo-marasa-hybrid-bike-2016

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Specs are 11/32t gearing & 9 spd so aught to be a cassette, though 9 spd freewheels are available they are not commonly seen.
There should be a Shimano part number on it to confirm.

• Informative