Help! Numb Hands

davetez

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 1, 2019
York UK
I’ve had my Cube Touring Hybrid One 500 for about 4 months now, OK haven’t put a vast amount of miles on it (approx 270) Finding it difficult to avoid “numb tingly hand” syndrome, my dealer adjusted the positions of the brakes & shifters so my thumbs could correctly wrap round the grips but I’m finding I seem to be exerting too much pressure onto the bars & have to often relax to alleviate the numbness.
I’m tempted to change the stem to an adjustable one & experiment with the grips , I’ve fitted the Ergon GP1s but not really getting on with them, anyone had success with foam/gel grips?

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I’ve had my Cube Touring Hybrid One 500 for about 4 months now, OK haven’t put a vast amount of miles on it (approx 270) Finding it difficult to avoid “numb tingly hand” syndrome, my dealer adjusted the positions of the brakes & shifters so my thumbs could correctly wrap round the grips but I’m finding I seem to be exerting too much pressure onto the bars & have to often relax to alleviate the numbness.
I’m tempted to change the stem to an adjustable one & experiment with the grips , I’ve fitted the Ergon GP1s but not really getting on with them, anyone had success with foam/gel grips?
You might need to get your upper body vertical, reducing the pressure/weight on your hands and arms.
Raising the handlebars, or even changing them for ones that are "farther back" at the grips, may need to be done.
You are not alone, its a common problems with older people....
Best of luck
Andy

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Have you considered a new bar ?

I like the On One Mary bar and others (nealh for example) use their Geoff bar

Both really help allievet this issue for us.

Personally grip type I have found less important than bar shape, height and positioning

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Different handlebars will probably help, but there's no formula to find the right ones, but I guess that the more relaxed your arms are, the less likely it would happen. It's caused by body position. Something puts pressure on the nerves that run to your hands. I think it happens under your arm-pits, so clothing can have an affect too. I get it all the time because I ride a range of different bikes with different riding positions.

I can't stop it happening, but I can get rid of it for a while by hanging each arm at a time vertically downwards while it recovers. It only takes about 20 seconds for it to go away. If you do that as soon as you feel the numbness coming, the numbness doesn't become bad enough to be a problem.

Triple

May 1, 2019
The common lowish-set straight handlebar setup is hard on the wrists, elbows and shoulders, an unnatural position to stay in for long. The old-fashioned way was far easier on the body, so it's worth finding some bars which have your palms facing more inwards and which are higher up. If you're spending a good while on the bike, having a second position for the hands is invaluable.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
It might be worth fitting a set of bar ends to give your hands an occasional change of position, they are also useful to protect your handlebar equipment if you need to up end the bike for puncture repair etc.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Zoom-3d-Alloy-Bicycle-Mountain-Bike-Cycle-Handlebar-Ends-Barends-Handle-Bar/2254337219?iid=132156382063

It's also a good idea to carry the tools needed to make slight adjustments to the angle of grips and bars as you go along.
What feels okay for the first half an hour isn't always the optimum position.
Just like saddle adjustment, it can take a lot of fiddling to get it just right
Dave.

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
Would those so-called "butterfly" bars so favoured by the Dutch help?
They give you a wide range of holding options.

Tarka

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2019
I suffer the same problem. Pins and needles/tingling after even a short ride. Solved by wearing winter work gloves, the ones with grippy palms and fingers and well padded, I can cycle many miles now with no ill effect.

They sound unbearable in the summer but they are really comfortable and not hot at all. The makers name has rubbed off long ago so I can't help with a name but I'm sure Amazon or Ebay will have them, not expensive either.

Reactions: Crossroads

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The Geoff's I'm finding are brilliant and have them on two of my 700c bikes, on the tourer 700c bike I was getting numb thumbs (both hands ) and esp at the base of them in the hand and an aching right wrist (mostly due to breaking the Ulna about 10 years ago). The Geoff's have alleviated all the aching and numbness due to the wrist /arm positioning being in a more natural position/alignment.
The Geoff's have a slight draw back being wide (720mm) and a generous sweep back of about 45 degrees, brake and gear cabling may need extending if already tight.
The Mary's are another good shout though I haven't tried them, but may do as the Swiizbee's bar are a bit narrow and may be ideal as a swap and more in keeping then the very modern Geoff.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Currently the 600mm Humpert Boomerang are only 14.99 at Planet X.
Spoilt for choice at Planet X.

Last edited:

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
The Geoff's I'm finding are brilliant and have them on two of my 700c bikes, on the tourer 700c bike I was getting numb thumbs (both hands ) and esp at the base of them in the hand and an aching right wrist (mostly due to breaking the Ulna about 10 years ago). The Geoff's have alleviated all the aching and numbness due to the wrist /arm positioning being in a more natural position/alignment.
The Geoff's have a slight draw back being wide (720mm) and a generous sweep back of about 45 degrees, brake and gear cabling may need extending if already tight.
The Mary's are another good shout though I haven't tried them, but may do as the Swiizbee's bar are a bit narrow and may be ideal as a swap and more in keeping then the very modern Geoff.
Sounds really good!
But if they are too wide, get a piece cut out on each side and get them welded/Glued back together, with a supporting piece of tube in the middle.
Say you take out 10 cm, that is 2 x 5 cm.
Take that part, cut a slit with a piece out, till with a bit of fiddling, it goes inside the tubes.
Then weld or glue with 2 component glue.
Job done!!
Never be put off!
regards
Andy

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If I wanted 620mm I would have simply bought the Mary's rather then do a cut and shut, 720mm with GP2's are perfick for me.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
If I wanted 620mm I would have simply bought the Mary's rather then do a cut and shut, 720mm with GP2's are perfick for me.
Thats good to hear.
The method I mentioned is usually only needed for women and small men, (remember, I don't know your "size") .
Glad to know its not required, though it is very simple to do! (For anyone else here who might have an interest!) , as small boned people, can get real problems finding something that "fits!"
Over the years, I have been able to help a few, but up to now, not needed with handlebars!
regards
Andy

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Try ensuring the top's of you hands are in a straight line with the top of you forearm, so there is no bend in your wrist. You might need to move the brakes round on the bars so they are inline with your forearms too.

Reactions: James63

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
I got some cheap riser bars and cut them down to 600mm (roughly the width of my shoulders) then fitted Ergon GP2's with the bar ends. I am constantly changing to and from the bar ends and this relieves any pressure on the wrists, or specifically between the thumb and forefinger. The narrow bars are also useful in getting through bike gates.

Dogwheel

May 8, 2019
Dave, I had the same sort of problem, numb hands + arthritic wrists. I swapped my straight handlebars for old fashioned Dutch "Shopper" style, in alloy they cost a fiver from my local independant bike shop! 650mm wide, 175mm pull back and 110mm rise, works a treat for me, I now ride very upright, you might need to get a comfier saddle as all the weight will be on the bum! Incidentally, I was lucky as the brake lines, cables and wires were all long enough.
Good luck,
Robin.

Crossroads

Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2017
I agree with Tarka. I used to get some of this on a bike without front suspension on rough tracks, much reduced by wearing gloves, a cheap pair of Thinsulate gloves from a garage for about £3 may help a great deal, as will taking a couple of minutes off the bike every 5-7 miles. If you can remove the cause all the better, obviously.