Nuvinci Problem

Peter219

Just Joined
Mar 21, 2016
Hi All

We bought a Kalkhoff Agattu 360 with a nuvinci harmony automatic gear hub from 50cycles last year. It is still under warranty.

After a few months service, the gears suddenly stopped working...it is basically stuck in a high gear and the gear controller shows a continuous pattern of two orange dots ascending and descending the 'power curve' on the controller. It is not possible to select automatic or manual and although calibration mode can be entered for about 20 seconds, it always reverts to this persistent ? fault mode.

I phoned 50 cycles last week and they suggested unplugging the connection to the gear hub, waiting 30 seconds and then recalibrating.....unfortunately this didn't work. Their initial view was that this may be a software fault.

I spoke to 50 cycles a second time last week and was told they would take advice and get back to me....but I have heard nothing. I have 'phoned several times today but they have not yet got back to me.
I emailed the help departments of nuvinci (the gear hub manufacturer) ...both US and Europe centres...last week ...but they have not managed to respond at all....a little disappointing...

Has anyone on the forum come across this problem?

Thanks in advance

Peter

s60sc

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 29, 2015
I had this problem once, which was 'fixed' by disconnecting / connecting the battery then going through the calibration sequence, repeated several times.

Otherwise you could try reinstal or update the Nuvinci Harmony N360 firmware from http://harmony.fallbrooktech.net/.

Reactions: Peter219

Peter219

Just Joined
Mar 21, 2016
I had this problem once, which was 'fixed' by disconnecting / connecting the battery then going through the calibration sequence, repeated several times.

Otherwise you could try reinstal or update the Nuvinci Harmony N360 firmware from http://harmony.fallbrooktech.net/.
Thanks...we have tried this but will try again in view of your success with it.

Do you have any idea how to update the firmware?...There is a USB port under the hub controller box.

s60sc

Apr 29, 2015
I've previously updated my firmware, its straightforward with the desktop software. You can also change settings - I reduced my cadence range. Go to the site I linked too, fill in the little form - it doesn't check what you enter. You will then see the software download and comprehensive guides, OEM is most detailed.
Before I updated, the nuvinci would sometimes lock on steep hills and need recalibrating, but this never happens now.

Reactions: Peter219

Peter219

Just Joined
Mar 21, 2016
Thanks again...will hunt for a windows laptop to load the desktop software...we are on holiday with only a Mac.

petitfilou

Nov 6, 2013
Stafford
Hi All

We bought a Kalkhoff Agattu 360 with a nuvinci harmony automatic gear hub from 50cycles last year. It is still under warranty.

After a few months service, the gears suddenly stopped working...it is basically stuck in a high gear and the gear controller shows a continuous pattern of two orange dots ascending and descending the 'power curve' on the controller. It is not possible to select automatic or manual and although calibration mode can be entered for about 20 seconds, it always reverts to this persistent ? fault mode.

I phoned 50 cycles last week and they suggested unplugging the connection to the gear hub, waiting 30 seconds and then recalibrating.....unfortunately this didn't work. Their initial view was that this may be a software fault.

I spoke to 50 cycles a second time last week and was told they would take advice and get back to me....but I have heard nothing. I have 'phoned several times today but they have not yet got back to me.
I emailed the help departments of nuvinci (the gear hub manufacturer) ...both US and Europe centres...last week ...but they have not managed to respond at all....a little disappointing...

Has anyone on the forum come across this problem?

Thanks in advance

Peter
Hello Peter .
I am still trying to get my Kalkoff fixed .The Nu Vinci unit has similar problems to yours .Did you get it fixed ,if so how
Thank you Peter Hardiman

Dominic Coleman

Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Hello Peter .
I am still trying to get my Kalkoff fixed .The Nu Vinci unit has similar problems to yours .Did you get it fixed ,if so how
Thank you Peter Hardiman
Did anyone fix the nuvinci harmony flashing orange lights problem?
Thanks again...will hunt for a windows laptop to load the desktop software...we are on holiday with only a Mac.

petitfilou

Nov 6, 2013
Stafford
.Re Nuvinci problem
Good evening. Yes I resolved the problem with my then 3 year old Harmony by taking the bike to Loughborough for repair .
The sum total was paying 250.00 to replace the electronic "ECU" .The conversations with 50 cycles were not satisfactory but Iwas a captive audience .Should you wish to receive my more private thoughts feel free to give me a ring .01922 451776.
Cheers Peter Hardiman

mcd

Jun 5, 2014
Elgin
Is it possible that the button on your hand controller is stuck down? Do you still hear a click when the button is depressed? This happened to mine and I ended up opening it up and spraying in some silicon lubricant.

Bounty Hunter

Just Joined
Jul 31, 2018

Hi, I've just joined this forum and thought I would share my experience with Kalkoff with Nuvinci Harmony gears and 50 Cycles
Basically had same problems, stuck in high gear, and tried re-calibrating, updating firmware but nothing worked. Took it to 50 Cycles Altrincham which was a complete waste of time and eventually went back and collected bike still not repaired.
Contacted Blazing Saddles Hebden Bridge who were able to identify problem and replaced the little black box and cycle now works a treat
NOW THE REALLY GOOD NEWS
Blazing Saddles found out Nuvinci Harmony Gears are Guaranteed for FOUR YEARS and as my cycle was 3 years old the ECU was replaced free of charge and I only paid postage and time taken to repair. Nuvinci know there is a problem
John

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
I'm slowly coming to the opinion that high end e bikes and 50 cycles do not make a happy partnership.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
50 c always seem to get mixed reviews at best. Never went into one till recently

The person who spoke to me was an oily used car salesman type. I prefer the actual oily bike engineer type covered in chain grease , clutching a torque wrench and supplying zero Bs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob B

Just Joined
Oct 30, 2018
My Nuvinci harmony worked perfectly for just over a year and then an error message displayed itself on the Nuvinci controller. The one with the flashing orange lights. My ebike is a Bosch active line powered one so i took it to my local Bosch approved dealer/service workshop. A quick update of the software and recalibration and bingo back to working again. Unfortunately after a trip of 20 miles the same thing happened again. Back again to the dealer/service workshop where I was told that they had returned almost all of their customers Bosch Harmony ebikes for refund because they could not be fixed. Unfortunately I had bought mine online and the warranty period was up. So I decided to see if it could be converted to a manual gear change.

Last edited:

Rob B

Just Joined
Oct 30, 2018
Did not know about the 4 year warranty and as my Bosch ebike was out of warranty converted the Harmony to a manual shifter with a parts kit from SJS Cycles. The Bosch active line ebike only supplies power to the Harmony twist grip and hub gear changer and does not communicate with it so will not show an error code on the intuvia display when converted to a manual shifter.
Google YouTube for videos on Nuvinci installation instructions to see you right. You will need a NuVinci N360 C8 shifter, 4 meters of gear cable casing, a crank puller for splined cranks and Bosch lockring tool all of which can be had at SJS Cycles. The total cost of the conversion came to under £90. If Harmony is integrated into the Intuvia display this conversion will probably not work because the Bosch system communicates directly with the Harmony gear changer at the hub and you could end up with an error code on the Intuvia display. If the software can be changed back to the old NuVinci setup it should then work. I've since done over 100 miles with the manual gear change system and it's working just fine.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Paddy R and flecc

HelicopterLee

Just Joined
Feb 13, 2019
Hi, After reading this post I took a Cube Nuvinci Harmony to Blazing Saddles and they fixed it very quickly and efficiently. As Bounty Hunter's post, Blazing Saddles informed me the unit was still under warranty if it's under 4 years and this saved me £300. This bike was bought and serviced at Leisure Lake and they could not fix the problem after keeping it for 2 months. I was told I was on my own. Cube Europe then gave me a list of other dealers and another was happy to speak with me but told me I probably need to talk to Nuvinci/Enviolo and sent the whole bike to them in the Netherlands. So it's a relief to find the only useful answer on this forum and to have a fully working bike again.

Paddy R

Just Joined
Mar 21, 2019
Did not know about the 4 year warranty and as my Bosch ebike was out of warranty converted the Harmony to a manual shifter with a parts kit from SJS Cycles. The Bosch active line ebike only supplies power to the Harmony twist grip and hub gear changer and does not communicate with it so will not show an error code on the intuvia display when converted to a manual shifter.
Google YouTube for videos on Nuvinci installation instructions to see you right. You will need a NuVinci N360 C8 shifter, 4 meters of gear cable casing, a crank puller for splined cranks and Bosch lockring tool all of which can be had at SJS Cycles. The total cost of the conversion came to under £90. If Harmony is integrated into the Intuvia display this conversion will probably not work because the Bosch system communicates directly with the Harmony gear changer at the hub and you could end up with an error code on the Intuvia display. If the software can be changed back to the old NuVinci setup it should then work. I've since done over 100 miles with the manual gear change system and it's working just fine.
Hi Rob, I am considering doing the same conversion to cables on my daughter's Agattu. Did you have to change the interface as well as the controller? Thanks, Paddy

Ddewsbury

Just Joined
Sep 17, 2019
I have two nuvinci problems and I am wondering if anyone has some ideas.

1. Nuvinci n380 with gates. I get full range on the hub, but the info graphic goes from steep hill to moderate hill only. It doesnt go flat. No biggie really, just curious.

2. Nuvinci n360 with gates on pegasus premio nu. The grip shifter has significantly more resistance than my n380. It's harder to turn and dial in the perfect cadence. Cable tension is set right with full range of shifting.

Any ideas?