Nyon or Kiox retrofit?

Daniel Chapman

Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2016
Hi all,

My LBS aren't able to help but I was wondering if anyone knew if it's possible to upgrade from the Bosch purion to the Kiox or Nyon and of so who would be able to do it? Im really not a fan of the Purion and would like the additional features.

Many thanks
Dan

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

forget nyon but any local bike shop should be able to fit one as it is just 1 cable that needs to be plugged in to the motor.

you will need to drop the motor to fit it tho as done my purion display my self.

Exige260

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 29, 2012
Had the Nyon retro fitted just pre lockdown and i really like it , great analytics and sat nav , didnt seem a problem for my local ( v good ) bike shop .

Daniel Chapman

Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2016

forget nyon but any local bike shop should be able to fit one as it is just 1 cable that needs to be plugged in to the motor.

you will need to drop the motor to fit it tho as done my purion display my self.
Thank you soundwave. I'll settle for Purion then of nyon isn't doable.

Is this something I could do myself if it's just one plug, or does it need to be programmed by a dealer?

Daniel Chapman

Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2016
Had the Nyon retro fitted just pre lockdown and i really like it , great analytics and sat nav , didnt seem a problem for my local ( v good ) bike shop .
What display did you have before the nyon? The analytics is what I want specifically, I don't think I'll have too much use for the sat nav but is a nice to have feature

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Thank you soundwave. I'll settle for Purion then of nyon isn't doable.

Is this something I could do myself if it's just one plug, or does it need to be programmed by a dealer?
yes you can fit it your self and should not need a dealer to programme it as it is just a display but when you say get a firmware update that is all inside the motor that the display talks to.

get nyon if you want it but for me it is just a expensive brick and can get broken more easy if you crash the bike.

if you remove the left side motor cover you can plug in the new display to try it first b4 you fit it on the bike.

Daniel Chapman

Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2016
yes you can fit it your self and should not need a dealer to programme it as it is just a display but when you say get a firmware update that is all inside the motor that the display talks to.

get nyon if you want it but for me it is just a expensive brick and can get broken more easy if you crash the bike.

if you remove the left side motor cover you can plug in the new display to try it first b4 you fit it on the bike.
Great thank you again soundwave. I'll have to weigh up the pros and cons of the 2 systems I think, as I mostly want them for the fitness functions. Do you happen to know if the data can sync to Strava by any chance?

Gigha

Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2015
East Lothian
Great thank you again soundwave. I'll have to weigh up the pros and cons of the 2 systems I think, as I mostly want them for the fitness functions. Do you happen to know if the data can sync to Strava by any chance?

I have Nyon on one of my bikes and a Kiox on the other. Prefer the Nyon with its larger display. Sync to Strava is possible but has to be done manually from the online ebike connect portal. The Kiox requires a blue tooth connection with a phone if you want the full ride data to be available [a very power hungry app, can flatten my phone battery in a few hours]

Note there have been problems recently getting either unit to upload the data to the online portal due to capacity constraints with the server [not certain why there are some many people using their bikes at the moment !] Seems to have been resolved over the last few days though.

There is a new version of the Nyon due out later this year, [may get delay due to you know what] so may be worth waiting to see what functions it has before jumping in. [I suspect it may only support the Gen 4 motor and may not be backward compatible.]

Carlbiker

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2020
I have Nyon on one of my bikes and a Kiox on the other. Prefer the Nyon with its larger display. Sync to Strava is possible but has to be done manually from the online ebike connect portal. The Kiox requires a blue tooth connection with a phone if you want the full ride data to be available [a very power hungry app, can flatten my phone battery in a few hours]

Note there have been problems recently getting either unit to upload the data to the online portal due to capacity constraints with the server [not certain why there are some many people using their bikes at the moment !] Seems to have been resolved over the last few days though.

There is a new version of the Nyon due out later this year, [may get delay due to you know what] so may be worth waiting to see what functions it has before jumping in. [I suspect it may only support the Gen 4 motor and may not be backward compatible.]
if you have the Kiox is it worth the upgrade or would you stick with the Kiox? I’m wondering if the Nyon gps is better than stuff like kommute for example for trails and things....in my limited testing kommute has tried to send me places bikes can’t actually get through!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
forget nyon old expensive junk kiok uses your phones gps i think or just get a Garmin gps

Vim Fuego

Pedelecer
Mar 21, 2021
Sorry for bumping old thread, but it was the most appropriate. I'm looking to upgrade from Intuvia on my Haibike Sduro 3 2020 with Performance Line Gen3 motor. There appear to be 4 options.

1. Kiox
  2. Original Nyon
  3. New Nyon
  4. Smartphone Hub
They all need the motor dropping and a cable running down and a new remote. I guess my first question is, is the cable and remote the same for all? If I do the work to install the cable, is it a one time deal? Can I then swap display or upgrade from say kiox to nyon or smartphone Hub later?

Functionality, there is lots of crossover, which is annoying, as it makes choosing the right display unit hard. Pricing confuses things further, nyon is about twice the price of Kiox, and even Kiox has basic navigation these days (sent by smartphone GPS). Smartphone Hub simply offers most of what nyon does for anyone with a smartphone and comes in over £100 cheaper, and appears to be the best offering if you have a waterproof phone (my pixel 5 is waterproof)

Wondering if anyone has been down this road with this conundrum and has any input or experiences.

Thanks.

The Silverfox

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2021
Cardiff, UK
Sorry for bumping old thread, but it was the most appropriate. I'm looking to upgrade from Intuvia on my Haibike Sduro 3 2020 with Performance Line Gen3 motor. There appear to be 4 options.

1. Kiox
  2. Original Nyon
  3. New Nyon
  4. Smartphone Hub
They all need the motor dropping and a cable running down and a new remote. I guess my first question is, is the cable and remote the same for all? If I do the work to install the cable, is it a one time deal? Can I then swap display or upgrade from say kiox to nyon or smartphone Hub later?

Functionality, there is lots of crossover, which is annoying, as it makes choosing the right display unit hard. Pricing confuses things further, nyon is about twice the price of Kiox, and even Kiox has basic navigation these days (sent by smartphone GPS). Smartphone Hub simply offers most of what nyon does for anyone with a smartphone and comes in over £100 cheaper, and appears to be the best offering if you have a waterproof phone (my pixel 5 is waterproof)

Wondering if anyone has been down this road with this conundrum and has any input or experiences.

Thanks.
I’m expecting my Nyon v2 to be delivered next week. Upgrading from an Intuvia on a Cube Kathmandu.

The main reason for getting it over the others was the nav with map and the tighter integration with the motor and battery being able to show possible range radius on the map based on battery charge and selected mode. I don’t think I could get on with the basic navigation on the Kiox.

As far as I understand the Kiox uses the same cable as the Intuvia to the motor so you should be able to swap the cables on the baseplate. The old Nyon uses the same mount as the Intuvia so that makes it even easier. I decided against the smartphone hub after reading about issues and would prefer not to use my phone. The controllers are different so you would need to swap those.

I called a local Bosch service centre and they said it would be £30 to £50 to fit so I’m going to get them to do it. Don’t fancy dropping the motor or voiding the warranty.

I’ll post how I get on when done, hopefully in a couple of weeks.

Last edited:

Vim Fuego

Pedelecer
Mar 21, 2021
Be keen to hear how it goes. I phoned 2 local Bosch ebike centres, first is no longer trading, the the only other local Bosch service centre had no idea what I was asking, and "certainly didn't have the tools or knowledge" to do such an upgrade.

Clearly there is a very low bar to becoming a Bosch e-bike service centre. I suspect pay some money to get "on the list" and that's about it, if someone ever asks, you can buy some tools and service stuff from them.

Last edited:

The Silverfox

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2021
Cardiff, UK
I spoke to two local Bosch service centres and they both seemed quite knowledgeable about the Nyon even asking where I was getting it from because they can’t get any until next year.

I guess they vary just like car service centres, although you would think they would have some idea. Did you find them on the Bosch website dealer search?

Vim Fuego

Pedelecer
Mar 21, 2021
Did you find them on the Bosch website dealer search?
Yes, and the 2 out of 2 responses are very disappointing.. I do live in a semi-rural area, not a city, but it's still poor. It feels I am perhaps better doing this myself. I at least have an idea of the complexity of the task, after some youtube vids, and have access to torque wrench, it feels I am more prepared and have more knowledge than my local Bosch centres.

Do you have a good supplier of 2021 Nyon in the UK, everywhere I looked, it's out of stock. I figure if I can secure a unit, I can then choose to fit myself or pay a dealer to fit.

My bike is almost a year old, so I guess any warranty is pretty much expired anyway (not that you get much in the way of warranties with cycles anyway, as I had no end of problems with the wife's e-bike where the wrong length chain was fitted, and the retailer -Tredz- washed their hands in terms of supporting it, saying chains come of bikes, it's normal).

Last edited:

The Silverfox

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2021
Cardiff, UK
I ordered by Nyon from the USA. I couldn’t find anyone with stock in the UK and those I spoke to said all production of them was going to build bikes so after market supply is non-existent. They said they couldn’t get any dates when they would be available and it certainly wouldn’t be until next year. I asked what the charge would be to supply and fit locally when they could get hold of them and it was still cheaper to get one shipped from the US and pay to have it fitted locally.

I was going to tackle it myself, it doesn’t look too difficult and I do most of my own servicing on our bikes. Just that they said it was only about an hour’s work I thought it was easier to let them do it. If it was going to be £100 or more then I would have done it myself.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
this is a bosch training video.