Of interest to Lafree/Twist owners...?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks very much for posting this halfmedley, I'm obliged to you. I won the item on Ebay for just £16, unbelievable, and it didn't even cost the postage as it was a cycle dealer local to me who was selling it.

This new unit was sent by Giant in Holland to the dealer in error, but when queried, possibly due to the twist being discontinued, they didn't want it back, so the dealer just wanted to get rid of it.

The retail price of the motor/electronics/drive unit would have to be approaching a third of the bike price, £250, and knowing Giant's pricing, it could be nearer £400. The motor chain sprocket alone is £30 as a spare. With this my Twist is going to have a near indefinite life, so thanks once again. :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks 50cycles. The fact is that it's the very first time I've ever used Ebay! I had heard of the principle of waiting to the last possible moment to bid to rule out anyone else getting back in and trumping the bid, so placed mine with just 14 seconds to closing time. I've got a watch which radio updates from an atomic clock so that helped get it right.

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
nigel

Didnt flecc do well perhaps we will see the first twist with 2 motors if any body can do flecc can:p nigel. southampton.

halfmedley

Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2007
Amazing what you can find on eBay! Hope the spare motor will come in useful Mr Flecc, sounds like you got a bargain. Nice to have been able to bring it to your attention.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It certainly will come in useful halfmedley. The 14 tooth motor sprocket takes a lot of punishment on these with all the motor power going through it, and my well worn Twist will need at least that replaced at some time. Since they are £30 each now, I can't lose.