Old Oxygen Emate Throttle

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
My throttle has stopped working on my £100 Ebike, that Nealh has christened "David".

If anyone is able to post a link where I can buy as close a replacement as possible I would be grateful.

Emate throttle 2 001.JPG

Emate throttle 2 004.JPG
Emate throttle 2 007.JPG
Emate throttle 2 008.JPG

Thanks

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You won't get one with that connector anywhere unkess SYEBC have any left over spare parts.

Throttles are really simple. They have three wires and a hall sensor. There not much that can go wrongand they're easy to repair. Why do you need a new one? What's not working about it? Are all three pins in the connector, as the photo shows only two?

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
It was hard to photo to show all the pins, and you did make me think, but after popping out to the garage and checking all three pins are present on the connector.

The problem manifested itself with some strange symptoms.

I was going to ride to work on it the day before yesterday. The display fired up normally but the throttle did not work at all. At first it seemed the pedal assist was working normally, with the different assist levels at first seeming ok, I started in 3 and then went up to 5, however the power I associate with 5 suddenly diminished and the power only cut out using the brake sensor rather than stopping peddling .

If the pedals were moved a small amount the power kicked in and could only be stopped by the brake sensor.

Anyway I went back home and took the car.

The next day yesterday, I remembered comments from the forum that throttles can be problematic, and when I disconnected mine, the pedal assist worked properly again, and I rode the bike to work and back, 20 mile round trip, with it behaving as it should, so my inexpert diagnosis was that it was the throttle at fault and just to replace it.

I quite like the half twist grip style of this throttle and hoped a similar style would fit alongside the current narrower ergonomic grip that seems designed with such a throttle in mind.

If a repair is possible, how do I go about it?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Unbelievable that 'David' the £100 supersub has come up short, what ever next.
Connector does show 3 pins, the third is very faint in the shadows.

Yep, three wires, a magnet and a hall sensor.
If a hall is needed ss49e on ebay or if replacing throttle any half twist with three wires, solder and shrink old connector to new ( though repair will give a neater job).

Last edited:

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
First no show for the super sub.

I have found a throttle on ebay that looks identical apart from the connector that I can hopefully splice to it from the old one.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
One can test the throttle hall via the block connector, with power system on.
5v between Gnd & 5v.
1v between Gnd & sig & 4 - 5v when throttle is operated.

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The most likely causes I can think of is water in the throttle or one of the wires has been pulled to the extent that it shorts on an adjacent one. Either are easy to fix and prevent. If you disassemble the throttle, you'll see what the problem is. Dismantling a throttle like that is a bit tricky, but doable. You take it off the handlebar, then attempt to lift all three barbs with thin blades while you pull the twist bit from the main body. Sometimes, brute force will do it without lifting the barbs.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I did a sublime 20 mile return trip to work and back yesterday with the bike behaving just as it should do with the throttle disconnected.

I do find this a great bike to commute on the road, carrying two heavy panniers and maintaining a very good speed.

As a larger 59 year old male in a job where I sit down a lot, the exercise I get riding my bikes to work and back makes a big difference to my feeling of well being.

If it has an Archilles heel it is the difficulty it has coping with two short but steep hills on the route. It bogs down and requires plenty of effort from me. All the other hills it copes with very well.

As you climb these steeper hills and your speed reduces there seems to be speed below which the motor's ability to assist appears to drop away. Fortunately both hills are short. However I did say I ride my bikes to get some exercise and both these hills certainly get my pulse rate up!

I did contact Oxygen who got back to me today to say that they have no old stock throttles left.

The one I ordered from Ebay arrived today and when I get some time I will fit that and check all is working as it should.

I might be inspired by vfr400 to have a go at fixing the existing throttle but I think I will fit the new one first.

Thank you Nealh and vfr400 for you help. The light you recommended vfr was very easy to fit an works really well.

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You can get much better hill-climbing if you change the controller to a different one. Unfortunately, you have an Ananda one that's potted, so you can't get at the shunt to solder it.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
New Throttle Fitted and all working as it should.

So chronology and thoughts

Monday 02 11 20

The super sub £100 Ebike, David, causes consternation when whistled onto the field of play and immediately going lame and necessitating me taking the car to work. Just not what we expect. The throttle had stopped working and there were other worrying issues.

Tuesday 03 11 20
Non technical georgehenry recalls from a dusty corner of his addled brain reading on the pedelec site that throttles are prone to failure and can cause problems.

He disconnects the throttle and finds that the super sub £100 Ebike is working again, all be it without the throttle. He blanks the connecting plug and rides 20 miles to work and back with a smile on his face.

Wednesday 04 11 20

He posts on said pedelec site and receives useful replies. He decides to ignore the possibility of it being a hall sensor as this will involve doing a thechnical task for which he has an aversion, or that he should take it all apart and mend it for the same reason, and orders a new one from ebay.

He does follow part of the advise by contacting Oxygen to see if they have any old throttles, sends them the same pictures as above, and they tell him they will ring him back after checking.

He rides the super sub 20 miles to work and back with a smile on his face. What a great bike.

Thursday 05 10 20

He is off work and the door bell rings and the new throttle has arrived. Pretty damn fast. Good service.

However he has many other mundane tasks to perform and does not have time to fit the throttle.

At some point the land line rings and georgehenry almost does not answer so as not to be annoyed by the offer of some amazing solar panels or other such thing, but does answer and is amazed that it is Oxygen ringing him to say they do not have any old stock throttles and suggest I buy one of ebay.

Friday 06 10 20

His very technical motorcycle mate tells him to bring the bike over and they will fit the throttle together.

georgehenry decides that as he is a key worker and his mate is performing an essential task as a bike mechanic mending a key workers main mode of transport that this will comply with lock down rules.

Bike in back of estate car, pleasant drive to mates house, nice cup of tea and a natter, mostly about motorcycles ensues.

Then to the task in hand. Take off the mirror and ergonomic grip and remove broken throttle. Then cut off the non obtainable plug from the broken throttle. Then expose the three wires. Do the same on the new throttle. Enjoy some consternation on finding that the colour coded wires on the broken throttle are different colours from the ones on the new.

Anyway use meter to check wires to ascertain which should be joined together. Use soldering iron and solder to join together. Individually shrink wrap each wire. Use an additional larger shrink wrap over the whole lot for added water ingress protection and neatness.

Slide new throttle on to the handlebar, plug it in, switch on the bike, I hold the back wheel off the ground and the new throttle is twisted and the rear wheel whir's into action. Hurrah.

Put everything back together. Drink more tea and natter some more. Mate wants a go. I lower the saddle as mate is very technically endowed but vertically less so. A quick instruction on the dark arts of ebike riding and away mate goes out onto a main road with fast traffic. Mate returns with grin on face . Could this be another disciple to the ebike cause. He had previously asked my advise in respect of his wife getting one to reach the stable where she keeps her horse and I had given him whoosh bikes name to get him started.

So The £100 Ebike is whole again with working throttle, something I find very useful.

Emate New Throttle 05 11 20 001.JPG

To miss quote The Who, New Throttle same as the old Throttle, (except it works).

That rusty bell is a vfr400 cheap purchase recommendation, 35p I think it was.
Emate New Throttle 05 11 20 002.JPG

Shrink wrapped connecting cable standing out from its brethren.

What a pleasant morning in the sunshine at my mates house mending stuff.

Shocking cost of new parts

One thing this incident has highlighted is the shocking price of spar parts.

The new throttle cost £18.95 delivered which represents a shocking 18.95% of the whole purchase price of the bike!

I wish I could get a savings rate like that!

Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: DanD and Audio2

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
An easy fix to over come, good job.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
New Throttle Fitted and all working as it should.

So chronology and thoughts

Monday 02 11 20

The super sub £100 Ebike, David, causes consternation when whistled onto the field of play and immediately going lame and necessitating me taking the car to work. Just not what we expect. The throttle had stopped working and there were other worrying issues.

Tuesday 03 11 20
Non technical georgehenry recalls from a dusty corner of his addled brain reading on the pedelec site that throttles are prone to failure and can cause problems.

He disconnects the throttle and finds that the super sub £100 Ebike is working again, all be it without the throttle. He blanks the connecting plug and rides 20 miles to work and back with a smile on his face.

Wednesday 04 11 20

He posts on said pedelec site and receives useful replies. He decides to ignore the possibility of it being a hall sensor as this will involve doing a thechnical task for which he has an aversion, or that he should take it all apart and mend it for the same reason, and orders a new one from ebay.

He does follow part of the advise by contacting Oxygen to see if they have any old throttles, sends them the same pictures as above, and they tell him they will ring him back after checking.

He rides the super sub 20 miles to work and back with a smile on his face. What a great bike.

Thursday 05 10 20

He is off work and the door bell rings and the new throttle has arrived. Pretty damn fast. Good service.

However he has many other mundane tasks to perform and does not have time to fit the throttle.

At some point the land line rings and georgehenry almost does not answer so as not to be annoyed by the offer of some amazing solar panels or other such thing, but does answer and is amazed that it is Oxygen ringing him to say they do not have any old stock throttles and suggest I buy one of ebay.

Friday 06 10 20

His very technical motorcycle mate tells him to bring the bike over and they will fit the throttle together.

georgehenry decides that as he is a key worker and his mate is performing an essential task as a bike mechanic mending a key workers main mode of transport that this will comply with lock down rules.

Bike in back of estate car, pleasant drive to mates house, nice cup of tea and a natter, mostly about motorcycles ensues.

Then to the task in hand. Take off the mirror and ergonomic grip and remove broken throttle. Then cut off the non obtainable plug from the broken throttle. Then expose the three wires. Do the same on the new throttle. Enjoy some consternation on finding that the colour coded wires on the broken throttle are different colours from the ones on the new.

Anyway use meter to check wires to ascertain which should be joined together. Use soldering iron and solder to join together. Individually shrink wrap each wire. Use an additional larger shrink wrap over the whole lot for added water ingress protection and neatness.

Slide new throttle on to the handlebar, plug it in, switch on the bike, I hold the back wheel off the ground and the new throttle is twisted and the rear wheel whir's into action. Hurrah.

Put everything back together. Drink more tea and natter some more. Mate wants a go. I lower the saddle as mate is very technically endowed but vertically less so. A quick instruction on the dark arts of ebike riding and away mate goes out onto a main road with fast traffic. Mate returns with grin on face . Could this be another disciple to the ebike cause. He had previously asked my advise in respect of his wife getting one to reach the stable where she keeps her horse and I had given him whoosh bikes name to get him started.

So The £100 Ebike is whole again with working throttle, something I find very useful.

View attachment 39124

To misquote The Who, New Throttle same as the old Throttle, (except it works).

That rusty bell is a vfr400 cheap purchase recommendation, 35p I think it was.
View attachment 39125

Shrink wrapped connecting cable standing out from its brethren.

What a pleasant morning in the sunshine at my mates house mending stuff.

Shocking cost of new parts

One thing this incident has highlighted is the shocking price of spar parts.

The new throttle cost £18.95 delivered which represents a shocking 18.95% of the whole purchase price of the bike!

I wish I could get a savings rate like that!
I used to buy throttles at 60p each from BMSBattery. Whenever I placed an order, I'd always add a few throttles and pedal sensors. Your type is now up to $4 and the cheaper ones are $3, which is a 250% increase from 6 years ago.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I bought a Yamaha RD400F for £770 brand new with rear sets, clip ons and expansion chamber exhausts with the original parts included when I was 19 in around 1979. Fantastic fun but lucky to survive that little episode.