One for the battery experts- new pack - strange problem- Any advice?

eddymunster

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 21, 2019
E
If it was my battery and carried no warranty from the seller, I would try a manual cell group charge to see if the cells would hold a charge.
In this case it sounds like Eddy may have some redress with the vendor first, so I believe he should go down that route first with them first before messing with the battery. The vendor has asked him to put it on charge for 24hrs but as we know the bms won't play ball with a cell group below lvc, I guess he needs to do as the vendor ask's for them then to act to try and rectify/replace the battery.
emailed vendor this morning so we will see what kind of customer service we get. rather they swap pack, will see if I am fobbed off with you checked yourself,etc. They only give 1 month looking at the small print.

eddymunster

Oct 21, 2019
Bit of an update- vendor has sent me a return label to ship back. Will see where we go from there. Thanks for all the help so far. Hoping for replacement rather than repair.

eddymunster

Oct 21, 2019
Bit of an update, my battery is en route back to me after having some cells replaced and a new bms, this is after paying an 88 euro ransom, due to the fact I did my own diagnostic on something they reckoned wasn't faulty in the first place.
Once its back and I have tested it me and the vendor will be having one there chats, via ebay and visa.
I will be mentioning there name as a warning for others, but to get the ball rolling it's a company that does a lot on the web/ebay and assembles their kit in west germany.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Distance selling and dealing abroad , Ebikebatteries.co.uk (Jimmy) would have been a good choice for a quote.
If there was no pack issue then why did they say they replaced the BMS and some cells, seems like they are passing the buck.
Enerpower by any chance ?

billym1967

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2017
durham uk
if im reading right its a 13s 48v pack and has a 15s bms fitted. never herd that done before, if thats the case i would be asking the seller why the did this, seems very odd indeed, i could be wrong but would guess this is why you getting issues. i may be wrong but linking bms wire to make a 16s fit a 13s sounds wrong. would guess that the bms being a 60v and running in a 48v isnt good. would the bms not be cutting out at around 46 to 48v. im on 400 battery builds now and i wouldnt do it.

eddymunster

Oct 21, 2019
Distance selling and dealing abroad , Ebikebatteries.co.uk (Jimmy) would have been a good choice for a quote.
If there was no pack issue then why did they say they replaced the BMS and some cells, seems like they are passing the buck.
Enerpower by any chance ?
Yes, bit of a case of buyer beware, I have a couple of packs from Jimmy and had no issues whatsoever, if you see a previous post I wanted to save a bit of weight. You live and learn

eddymunster

Oct 21, 2019
if im reading right its a 13s 48v pack and has a 15s bms fitted. never herd that done before, if thats the case i would be asking the seller why the did this, seems very odd indeed, i could be wrong but would guess this is why you getting issues. i may be wrong but linking bms wire to make a 16s fit a 13s sounds wrong. would guess that the bms being a 60v and running in a 48v isnt good. would the bms not be cutting out at around 46 to 48v. im on 400 battery builds now and i wouldnt do it.
My thoughts exactly, funnily enough I haven't been given an answer to that? Going too see what comes back to take that further. I haven't put any feedback on the bay yet so I may be able to do a dispute over this yet

billym1967

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2017
durham uk
sadly buying from abroad is always a risk and if its cheap theres a reason today. had a guy asking for a quote today, half way though the messages he informed me he could get a 36v 17ah from ebay for £169, sadly once you get that message its pointless trying to explain what your getting for £169. you can get inteligant bms boards made for diffrent pack sizes, but you dont wire to leads to one bank. i think your problems were because the board was a 60v and was seeing the pack on low charge all the time, i also think having cells from 3.6v to 4v is well out of balance, again caused through the wrong bms board. .4v diffrence is a lot between 13 banks, means the pack would only be sitting around 53.6 to 53.8v charged.

billym1967

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2017
durham uk
it is quite normal for a battery to drop slightly over night afater charging, depending on the pattern i would like to see a new pack at 54.5 to 54.6v charged and maybe an over night drop of 0.2v. some may disagree but thats what i like to see.

eddymunster

Oct 21, 2019
it is quite normal for a battery to drop slightly over night afater charging, depending on the pattern i would like to see a new pack at 54.5 to 54.6v charged and maybe an over night drop of 0.2v. some may disagree but thats what i like to see.
turned up today,won,t get chance to test to test, however three leds lit when I took it out the box and 49v with my meter, funny that the first one didn't even light up and had under 2 volts and took 12 hours to charge, this one only took 3hrs, anyhow won't get chance to run it until next week but I do think I was had off first time. My own fault really,was looking to try these 21700 cells for weight loss and they were the only ones using them, sometimes it doesn't pay to be a guinea pig!!!

billym1967

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2017
durham uk
could be wrong on this a tad, but im sure the 13ah 48v pack i do using sony 2600mah 35a draw is only a tad over 3kg anyway 13s5p about 3.2kg. and depending on the motor size your running even a samsung 3500mah witch you could get 14ah out of a 13s4p is only 2.5kg thats in softpack versions. i now these 21700 are good, but ive got bafang 1000w hd bikes runing fine on 35e cells and wrking really hard on the sony cells.