Only motors in the crank good for hill climbs?

PennyFarthing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
Hello all,

I reappear like a bad Penny...jokes aside....I still haven't bought a replacement E bike since my Gepida Reptilla battery and bike died. I live in a hilly area and use a sit up a beg style bike. I have seen a good price online for a bike that is a rear hub motor and I'm concerned it won't get me up the hills to work. Any thoughts? I just want to get to/from work without having to get off the bike. Its an Italian Orus E-4000 step through. Money is now tight due to that pesky virus. Though tempted to buy the same bike again even though it costs a lot more as I loved it. (the original falling to pieces).

Changing or repairing an inner tube on a bike with a rear wheel motor...any comments?

01wellsd

Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2020
Bristol
My rear hubbed Wisper gets me up Park Street in Bristol without having to get off, or even stand up.
For comparison its an average 13.4% gradient.
They once put a slip-and-slide down it because it is so steep, that was a fun day!

I've not had to change a tube on the rear wheel, but with a bit of skill you can get half the tube out the side of the wheel for a repair.

PennyFarthing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
I'm not super fit though. I have several chronic illnesses so are you super fit? I'm just trying to compare. I'm really grateful for your input.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Changing or repairing an inner tube on a bike with a rear wheel motor...any comments?
Use Marathon Plus and the question becomes very nearly irrelevant. Not quite though.
Gaadi inner tubes allow replacement without wheel removal.

Obviously some hub motors are more powerful than others with the same rating, and some are geared for speed and some for hill climbing. Most will be nominally 250w, so the Orus spec 36v 250w Rear Hub Driven doesn't actually say much; it probably applies to 75% of hub drive bikes on the market. Somebody here may know what sort of motor it really is and how it performs. Looks a comfy and sensible bike, but note the low capacity battery. 'Up to' 25 miles will probably mean a lot less, especially with hills.

• Agree
Reactions: 01wellsd

01wellsd

Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2020
Bristol
I wouldn't say that I am fit, more average!
I've just turned 30, and not ridden a bike (nor done any exercise) properly since my teens!
I've not got any illnesses though so that may be where we differ.
Do you have any friends with rear hub e-bikes that may let you try them out?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm not super fit though. I have several chronic illnesses so are you super fit? I'm just trying to compare. I'm really grateful for your input.
Hi PennyFarthing, nice to see you back, you were the only Gepida Reptila owner we had back then. Today's Reptila model is very different, using a Bosch motor in place of the early Panasonic style Yamaha, very powerful and well over £2000.

As for the hub motor, dig up a couple of e-bike shops with them and ask to have a short test ride on what they have on offer, most will do that and it will give you an idea of how they compare.