Apr 14, 2015
BURISCH Synergy GT250 v Cyclotricity Stealth 1000W
or Tonaro Enduro

Last edited:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Tonaro Enduro
I wouldn't want to take any of them up 3 flights of stairs every night.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Tonaro Enduro
I wouldn't want to take any of them up 3 flights of stairs every night.
The Stealth looks like a cheap and nasty contraption to me.

Owners seem to like Tonaros.

But as trex says, three flights of stairs kills all of them.

Taking almost any ebike up three flights of stairs regularly is a non-starter.

D

Deleted member 4366

Tonaros are great bikes, but they're relatively heavy. We need to know what you want to do with it.

Alan103

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2015
Weight of the bike aside, I was really looking for opinions on the bikes mentioned above or for suggestions similar to or better for the price.
Looking to use it for commuting mon-fri and out and about at wkends

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The Stealth is too obviously illegal for my liking.

Say what you like about cut-off settings, you are asking for attention you won't enjoy using that on the road.

Even if you win a legality argument, the police will mess you around for so long it will feel like you've lost.

The Synergy looks a decent bike, others may be able to tell you if it has one of the pokier motors.

The Tonaro is likely to be the best climber, and as I mentioned earlier, nearly all reports from owners are positive.

eastman

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 8, 2015
Tonaro Enduro is best. These are stylish, easy to ride and comfortable...

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Alan,the burisch 250 is very similar to the Vita uno,the latter on sale exclusively from the London Electric Bike Company of Hampton Wick,it is on special offer at the moment at £599.00,not many left now-the Vita Uno is 21kg,that is about the max weight I would carry up stairs.
You may want to try our Kudos Secret while you are at LEBC,if your commute is not too long,it weighs only 18kg and relatively easy to carry.
The Tonaros are great bikes,the 4 x4 of the e-bike world but quite heavy.
If you want a BPM motor you have to go up to the Kudos Tornado at £1095.00,but the Vita may do your job fine.
KudosDave

Reactions: LEBC Tom

Alan103

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2015
True, but Alan will never get one up those stairs, I wouldn't want to climb one flight with an Enduro.
I would have to agree, while I also think the Enduro has the style it is a bit on the heavy side me thinks

Alan103

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2015
Having searched tirelessly (no pun intended) for the past few days,I have read good reviews on most of the bikes I have looked at or have been recommended to me but I keep coming back to the Bruisch mainly because of the price. The other bikes seem to have roughly the same spec for more expense, correct me if I'm wrong.
I like the Stealth mainly because of the reviews of the customer/after sales service and I must admit I do like the option of extra power/speed off road.
Other Options Looked At/Recommended Within Budget
E-Mate MTB 11Ah, Kudos Tornado, Vita Uno, Freego Raptor, Momentum Upstart

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
You said you like power, so it's easy to work out. From your list: the Freego Raptor and Momentum Upstart are very different from the rest, they are less strong climbers so should be eliminated first. The Burisch and the Uno are very similar, comfortable commuters, next step up power-wise. The Uno has better value for money by a long mile, so eliminate the Burisch. The E-Mate and the Tornado are stronger climbers, but the Tornado has the BPM motor while the E-Mate has the smaller SWXH motor, the Tornado comes out best in my view, reasonable price and high performance, the Uno second, it has the best value for money and is the cheapest among the SWXH.

Reactions: flecc
D

Deleted member 4366

The E-Mate and the Tornado are stronger climbers, but the Tornado has the BPM motor while the E-Mate has the smaller SWXH motor, the Tornado comes out best in my view, reasonable price and high performance, the Uno second, it has the best value for money and is the cheapest among the SWXH.
The Emate doesn't have a smaller SWX motor. It uses a high torque Dapu motor running at about 15A. It's much bigger than a SWX.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
d8veh, they have changed the specs.

from the oxygen website:
http://www.oxygenbicycles.com/e-bikes/e-mate-mtb-11ah
New sports range of Oxygen Emate MTB features new 27.5’’ wheels powered by 8FUN motors and the Samsung SDI battery. Equipped as standard with Schwalbe SmartSam tyres and SR Suntour suspension forks makes it one of the best value for money electric mountain bikes.
specifications:
Electric Drive
Motor
36V 250W 8FUN SWXH
Battery
36V 11Ah Samsung SDI
Controller
Oxygen 15A
Throttle
TBA
Pedal Assist
Charger
42V 2A

Read more at http://www.oxygenbicycles.com/e-bikes/e-mate-mtb-11ah#QhvPt6RQ8cMi3Vxv.99

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the OP made the short list of bikes that he can get for about £1000 mark. The e-mate city sells for £1,499 RRP.
He should have gone to woosh with his £1000 budget but he didn't.

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
For lightweight folder you could get a montague urban or similar (12kg)and put a woosh cst 250w kit on it, (6.5kg), although I worry about the narrowness of the wheels

Alan103

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2015
You said you like power, so it's easy to work out. From your list: the Freego Raptor and Momentum Upstart are very different from the rest, they are less strong climbers so should be eliminated first. The Burisch and the Uno are very similar, comfortable commuters, next step up power-wise. The Uno has better value for money by a long mile, so eliminate the Burisch. The E-Mate and the Tornado are stronger climbers, but the Tornado has the BPM motor while the E-Mate has the smaller SWXH motor, the Tornado comes out best in my view, reasonable price and high performance, the Uno second, it has the best value for money and is the cheapest among the SWXH.
Having read this, you'll have to forgive my ignorance but what is the difference between a BPM motor and a SWXH motor?
So far I have been basing my choice on my limited knowledge of bikes, my last bike cost me £150 so I am taking my time and don't want to rush into spending over the odds for a £1000 bike if I can get one for £600 especially with this being my first step towards what I would consider an expensive bike, I could get a small second hand car for a little more expense.

I chose the Freego Raptor for its weight and its simplicity,my thinking less parts,less can go wrong, much the same for the Momentum Upstart but also like the warranty aspect of this bike although on the more expensive side for what it is, basic.
The Burisch I like because of the price and the weight only £60 more than the Vita, although only a fraction lighter and personally I think it looks better (the black edition). As far as I know the components of the Burisch have been upgraded from earlier models, due to customer feedback, so pretty much the same as the Vita, just don't know about the electric side of things, motor, battery etc.

I will have to rule out the E-mate as they have no stock with no plans to replenish but it was a nice looking bike and looked well built.
The Tornado I just cant justify the extra money. Maybe someone else can?
Whereas on the Stealth it offers a higher capacity battery and more power, all be it off-road. It is over my own restriction of weight limit, but their customer service, from what I have heard is fantastic,even if some of their components are a bit questionable, but I believe they are starting to build their own components now.

As you also said in another post to try Woosh, I have and spotted another 2 options The Sport-CD and The Sport TS, again different types of motor, your thoughts, again would be much appreciated.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Having read this, you'll have to forgive my ignorance but what is the difference between a BPM motor and a SWXH motor?
The average size SWXH is the common average power hub motor.

The BPM is a larger diameter hub motor with considerably more power and torque whilst remaining legally rated.

Obviously the latter needs a higher capacity battery for the same range, so the BPM is best chosen when there is a genuine need, such as steep hills, heavy trailer towing or rider's physical inadequacies. In flat areas it would be a waste for most users.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the bikes on your short list are all made in China, the quality of assembly and components is about the same, therefore it comes down to styling, technology and price. I can see you like mountain bike style.
If you are heavy or live in a hilly area or like speed, then we can narrow the list.The Tornado is a good all-rounder, if you rule it out on the basis of cost then the we'll keep an eye on your budget.
Let's first look at the technology: hub drive or crank drive. If you like crank drive better then the Woosh Krieger fits your criteria best, unfortunately, it's out of stock at the moment. The Sirocco CDL is in stock but you need to be 5ft8 and above to ride it because it has a large frame.

Between the hub bikes, besides the standard pedal assist that all bikes must have, do you prefer torque sensor or throttle? in a year's time, throttle will need type approval, torque sensor will be the way to go. At the moment, within your budget range, only the woosh Sport-TS has torque sensor. If you weigh less than 80kgs and like pedalling, then this could be the bike for you.
Just to recap, if your choice is based on technology, your budget can only go as far as woosh bikes, the Bosch, Yamaha and Panasonic bikes with those technologies all cost more than £1500.
All the bikes on your first list have hub motor and 10AH batteries.
You could have added the woosh Big Bear, that has big motor and 15AH battery but is not quite your style.
My advice is to go try a few bikes, one of them must be a crank drive, any crank drive. You need to find out first which technology you like best.

Last edited:
Reactions: flecc