Orbea Gain auxiliary battery

Inveral

Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2019
Although I do read bike reviews I do bare in mind that money (somehow or other) is usually involved so I tend to put far more faith in posters on forum who have either test rode or bought a particular bike. In all fairness to the Gain I don't think I have read any poster on any forum who has bought one, been disappointed with their purchase. They have all be very happy with the bike, but many have been waiting for the auxiliary batter for well over a year now.

No idea why it should be taking so long to bring to the market, I would have thought making an additional battery would be much easier than making the motor.
I ended up buying the Gain D30 and have done four decent runs average length 45 miles with 2,500 feet ascent. The most battery usage was 52% so I don’t think I will need the auxiliary battery. I don’ use the battery on the flat or gentle slopes as the bike is really light for an e bike and the gears can handle gentle hills. The bike is certainly a game changer and I can now keep up with my fitter friends.

Reactions: Nev

Inveral

Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2019
Inveral,
badlywornroy seems very impressed by his Orbea Gain.
Are you not prepared to buy one with the standard battery or is the range going to be insufficient?
Magazines are there to push product, so you are right to be wary of some reviews.
I ended up buying the Orbea Gain D30 and am very impressed with the performance. I have only managed four runs due to the weather but have averaged 45 miles and 2500 feet of ascent. The most battery usage has been 52% and the other three runs averaged 30% so I don’t think I will need the auxiliary battery. The bike performs really well and you don’t need the battery except for the steeper hills. The bike weighs approx. 13.5kg. And the gears are excellent. Overall the bike is a game changer.

Reactions: Andy McNish

badlywornroy

Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2018
Richmond North Yorkshire
I ended up buying the Orbea Gain D30 and am very impressed with the performance. I have only managed four runs due to the weather but have averaged 45 miles and 2500 feet of ascent. The most battery usage has been 52% and the other three runs averaged 30% so I don’t think I will need the auxiliary battery. The bike performs really well and you don’t need the battery except for the steeper hills. The bike weighs approx. 13.5kg. And the gears are excellent. Overall the bike is a game changer.
I agree Inveral, for the rider who doesn't need 'high assistance' levels the auxiliary battery is unlikely to be needed.
One of my rides (also D30) backs up your figures:-
Distance: 40.15 mi
Time: 2:33:16
Avg Speed: 15.7 mph
Elevation Gain: 2,697 ft (822m)
Avg HR: 125 bpm
Max HR: 151 bpm
Battery was showing 51% full

However my bike weighs close to 16kg with 35cF/38cR tyres and full SKS mudguards, Garmin 130 & Garmin Vario radar light + underseat bag tube/tools/pump phew !

nikon1v1

Just Joined
Dec 12, 2019
One problem with all these bikes (I own a Wilier Cento 1 Hy, as does my wife) is the question of longevity of the main battery, and how to deal with that (add the external battery?). I have put 6400 km into my Wilier (which I love, it can do 32 km/h assistance in Canada), my wife has 3200. All in one year. Her battery still shows full range (about 100 km), mine shows about 80km, but on my last ride the power collapsed while still showing 25%, which meant that I only got 50 km. So I am looking into the external battery option, and it is expensive (although I am told by my local dealer that he was able to get and sell these external batteries at CDN $ 1,000 a piece). So I am looking into aftermarket options, the main obstacle being the 4-pin connectors. The batteries seem to be available at a few-hundred dollars, but the proprietary connector is the problem, and possibly the battery management system, i.e., just plugging some replacement battery may not suffice. I do have enough know-how to not be afraid of simply plugging in a battery - my sense is that the controlling electronics is already part of the bike - but it would be interesting to hear about such experiences!