Other Cyclists. Where have all the manners gone?

GSol

Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2011
Kendal
In the last 5 months since I moved to Ipswich and started cycling here, less than 5 other cyclists have greeted or nodded as they passed, the others not bothering to even make eye contact. Even pedestrians are more polite!

Then on Monday, I was slowing down to go straight over a roundabout, being my normal cautious self, and what does some racing cyclist do... speeds past me on the right and then swings hard left to go left on the roundabout. I just about managed to brake enough to not ride into him, and it left me right in the middle of the road off balance. Luckily the car entering the roundabout saw what happened and waited patiently for me to get going again. I shouted at the cyclist and saw him make some gesture at me and say something which I couldn't hear as he sped off.

Surely that kind of thing is not needed from other cyclists when we have enough of a tough time with motorists! The route and time that I cycle stays pretty much the same, so what should I do if I come across him again?

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
we all quite rightly go on about about car drivers, but here in London there are some real ar$e hole cyclists that give more people reason to hate us...if there weren't enough already

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There's plenty of instances of cyclist bad manners in my area too, and I've made the point in here that they are often just as bad as car drivers when it comes to abuse. Oddly enough, the best for acknowledgements are the genuine sport lycras when I'm cycling in the North Downs, they include some pro riders training. The worst are the wannabee sport riders and mountain bikers, the latter never acknowledging.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
I get quite the opposite. But we are far and few between round Birmingham.
I have noticed more coming out the woodwork as the weather is not more acceptable.

There's a couple hard core riders that use MTB to commute on. They are slow. But determined. They always wave.
one very determined sports rider I always see. His a mega lycra fan. Even he ackknowledges me and he had a stern looking face. Either that or his trying to work out what my bike is...

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
The route and time that I cycle stays pretty much the same, so what should I do if I come across him again?
You could mount a very noticable REAR camera. It could be a dummy one if your not into cameras or you could simple mount a piece of wood on your rear pannier and write CAMERA so it can been seen by vehicles approaching from the rear ...

danfoto

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2010
Sarfeast England
here in London there are some real ar$e hole cyclists
But you must admit that nowaday's central London's wonderful for the entertainment provided by all the poseurs on fixies - particularly the pretend messengers :cool:

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Being a Motorcyclist/Scooterist , Car Driver , Cyclist and Ebiker , it is always interesting to see the reaction of fellow travellers .I`m afraid most cyclists are po-faced and rarely make eye contact , the Powered two wheelers nod to each other and while out this morning in the car and moving to the left for a Motorcyclist , he gave a nice left foot wiggle as thanks . I must say that the Car Drivers are pretty considerate and give me a wide berth , it must be my Hi-Vis orange waistcoat .

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
while out this morning in the car and moving to the left for a Motorcyclist , he gave a nice left foot wiggle as thanks .
Even this doesn't always work out ok. I remember seeing a letter from a motorcyclist in a car magazine in which he raged about car drivers who moved over for him to pass. He angrily asked why car drivers didn't think him capable of overtaking without their help!

One for the psychiatrists I think.

muckymits

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2011
Sorry to say but it could be a regional thing, could set a few backs up here. But. we have a BnB and nearly all the worst customers come from Essex and north London. Dont know why but they are stroppy, never smile or pass the time of day. Just demand 5 star butler service for 30 quid.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm London born and have spent the last 48 years living in a London Borough, and that doesn't surprise me muckymits. Plenty of surly and even aggressive cyclists in London in my experience.

Eaglerider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2011
East Sussex
Bicycles, E-Bikes, cars, motorcycles, aeroplanes, they all have their share of f**kw*ts, I don't think there is any way of avoiding it.

Good manners and politeness are not taught at schools or at home these days, so what can we expect?

GSol

Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2011
Kendal
Well it sounds like it happens all over, but perhaps yes, it could be more over here. Funny thing is, apart from the cyclists, pedestrians and strangers in shops smile and greet and nod all the time.

Not too sure about the camera, I laughed at the piece of wood with camera written on it, maybe I could go that route! Should get a few laughs if nothing else... Could even print a vehicle speed camera or mobile cctv logo - though the traffic boys may not be too happy about that hehehe.

I've already ordered my wife to kill me if she ever caught me in lycra.

And yes the guy who cut me off was a lycrasite, and most probably a wannabe racer. I should've popped into high mode and turned to give chase on the Aurora... but then may have ended up doing exactly what I am currently complaining about... and of course breaking the law! So I suppose I'm glad I didn't...

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
while having a winge what about J walkers! My pet hate! UK probably worse country in Europe for this...

Willin'

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2011
Well I've just got back from a ride up to Consett on the C2C and nearly every other rider nodded and smiled on passing as did most of the pedestrians/dog walkers along the way.

Friendly lot up here.

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
I live in Central Scotland and have to say that since I got my e-bike every other cyclist I've passed or met has nodded and/or said hello. I haven't been in London for about 20 years but I remember it being an unfriendly place. By that I mean, no-one cared much about each other.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Had this thread in mind on the way home tonight and came across 4 other cyclists which is very unusual:

STREET MACHINE SALUTATIONS - YouTube

2 how dos
1 Hi ya
1 How you doing (NOT in the joey voice)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I haven't been in London for about 20 years but I remember it being an unfriendly place. By that I mean, no-one cared much about each other.
We do care, but I think it's a matter of numbers. With 8 millions in a 20 mile square, if we all nodded to each other our heads would soon fall off.

To illustrate, if I walk down the road from my home, no-one of the many I pass nods or says hello. But when I turn into the large nature reserve at the start of the walk, every one of the much lesser number in there greets as I do to them. Same population, very different circumstance.

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
I watched the news in Denmark tonight. A young lady in Copenhagen nagged on for 5 minutes telling us all how crap and inconsiderate car drivers are. At the end of the interview she stuffed her i Pod ear plugs into her ears and turned it on and then headed off, only to turn right at the traffic lights while they were on red.

We get them over here as well.

Steve

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
Most of my cycling is done on rural roads . So if I meet another cyclist I always say Hi or hello , because I would feel embarrassed not to . Most of them reply , although there are less replies from the Lycra boys . If I am feeling grumpy , I raise my left hand from the bars in a sort of wave instead . I usually get a wave back . I was always brought up to have good manners . I was once thrown out of a transport cafe in Glasgow for saying "Could I have a bacon sandwich please ? " on the grounds that I was being sarcastic!

Synthman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2010
Oxford
I don't acknowledge anyone unless I know them, or they acknowledge me first. It's like the Tour De France here sometimes.

It seems I know a lot of people though!