Our perfect combination

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
The weather being so nice last weekend, the pair of us did over 40 miles across the South Downs.

Working all week, it is hard to find the time together and this setup is our answer.

We could not possibly do this using a regular bike, at least not on the hilly routes we choose.

Fabulous days out and brilliant fun.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Finally the picture I have been waiting for ;)
Good to see the trailer on there, considering how much time it took to get it for you.

Haibike looks good, different tyres?

Regards
Martin
Yes, swapped the original Schwalbe's for Bontrager XR Mud's for the muddy season.
Have the same tyres on my Giant, best I have found for the winter.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Nice scene SRS. The stuff of memories, and also the perfect day. :)

I'd loved to have seen the look on other peoples faces as you rode up there. :D

Weather permitting, I'm contemplating going to Alciston tomorrow for a trip up onto the Downs. I only say weather permitting, as I want to get some photos from up there.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Eddie

We do get some looks, lovely smiles mostly which is always nice.

Any other time, i'd join you on your trip to Alciston. Have to get my camper up to scratch this weekend.

Have a good day, weather permitting and l look forward to sorting a ride together soon.

Cheers Ian

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I went for a ride yesterday evening and thought that it would have been a good one for you to have come along on. It was only a very relaxed 12miles long, but it was one of those rides that just felt superb. It was a lovely warm evening, the back lanes were empty, and other than wildlife, the bridleways and tracks were dead silent. The only thing missing, was a quick stop off for a pint. :)

Hopefully there will be many more rides like that this year.

I also bumped into another e-bike owner on Tuesday evening whilst I was out riding. He suggested going out for a few rides, and I was up for it until he said that he always starts off at 4.30am. Fook that!

Reactions: SRS

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I witnessed a tag-along part company with the bike.

It was down a hill and the tag-along appeared to overtake the bike before careering into a ditch.

Rather funny in a slapstick way.

Lots of tears from the child, but no harm done by the look of it.

Reactions: hech

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
I witnessed a tag-along part company with the bike.

It was down a hill and the tag-along appeared to overtake the bike before careering into a ditch.

Rather funny in a slapstick way.

Lots of tears from the child, but no harm done by the look of it.
Always a possibility.

That's why my chosen tagalong is the only one specifically designed for off road used and has a CNC machined coupling with bearings unlike most which have crude lumps of metal.

Won't say it could never happen but very unlikely.

Reactions: RobF

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Won't say it could never happen but very unlikely.
Agreed.

The one I saw had two pram wheels which enabled it to roll on with the tow bar bouncing off the road.

I would put money on the cause being a cheap and nasty bodged hitch, poor installation, poor maintenance or all three.

Reactions: SRS

Backin5

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2014
Aren't these usually safetied with a length of thin steel cable? Seems a pretty obvious thing to do to me? As you would do with any trailer used on the road.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Aren't these usually safetied with a length of thin steel cable? Seems a pretty obvious thing to do to me? As you would do with any trailer used on the road.
No, they are not. If the hitch was to snap, you would want the tagalong to stop. It would stop due to having only one wheel.
If it were wire tied it would flip in its side and be dragged by the leading bike. That's my take.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
I think we're talking of 2 different trailer types, here...

A tagalong, to me, means 1/2 a bike, rigidly attatched juat below your saddle: junior rides as if on a tandem.

A trail buggy type has 2 wheels, effectively creating a tricycle in which the kids don't pedal & is normally attatched at the rear axle of the bike...

Yes-No?

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
I'm talking about our tagalong as per the picture in 1st post on the subject.

I agree that a two wheel trailer carrying kid/s must have a safety wire.

Reactions: jackhandy

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I'm talking about our tagalong as per the picture in 1st post on the subject.

I agree that a two wheel trailer carrying kid/s must have a safety wire.
Agreed, a lanyard on single wheel tag along would do more harm than good.

Backin5

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2014
Yes, I was thinking of the old 2 wheel trailer, complete with little Johnny and his mates sat in there playing cards.

My mistake.