Help! Outrider hub motor repair

CMark

Just Joined
Sep 16, 2021
Does anyone know where I can get parts or repair for an Outrider brushless front hub motor 36V 250W 260 RPM JDVU0064 ?

Cycling my beloved 2010 Brompton Nano on the Alpe-Adria long-distance path in Italy last week, I heard a tiny click from the motor and it lost drive. The electric motor is still turning inside but it does not move the bike wheel. So I think the large ring inside is broken. Fortunately , after about 3,000 or 4,000 miles the freewheel is very smooth and so the bike cycles very easily unassisted.

I've searched high and low and come up with zilch.

If I am unable to get it fixed, what new motor would esteemed posters recommend for a replacement? A quick measurement of the front fork gap (with wheel still attached) indicates a 85mm width hub.

If I'm going to get a new one, it would be nice to get a 290 rpm one as the current 260 rpm motor only assists to 13 or 14 mph. Also any replacement should be as quiet as the Outrider.

I'm located in the Netherlands where, despite my enquiries, there does not seem to be any support for this motor.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You'd be much better changing to an Aikema AKM-74X, motor, which you can get from BMSBattery (Q75), Topbikekit or any of our other favourite Chinese resellers. You might as well change your crappy controller to a KT one while you're at it (S06S) so that you can run with the hall sensors. This will give you a much better control system and motor, which will last you a long time into the future without breaking and probably cheaper than replacing a motor of your type (if you could get one) and more reliable.

CMark

Just Joined
Sep 16, 2021
Thank you vfr400 for your informative reply. (My first reply to you yesterday is still awaiting moderator approval, and is invisible to normal visitors. I don't know why.)

I've managed to find two repair shops (Tony Castles and nano electric bikes ltd) quoting repair costs between £65 to £85 respectively so I think I go this route to start with.

But if it fails again I'll take the opportunity to fit a new motor and controller.