Overvolting Pedalease Imortor

z10m

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 16, 2017
Tunbridge Wells
Hi everyone. Just registered as there is plenty of useful information on here.
So just installed in my gf's bike this conversion kit and the battery was doa.
So I picked up few RC lipos that I had lying around and connected them in series to get 37v as the battery that came with it.
It works fine but my question is whether I can add some more cells to get more speed out of it.?
Is anyone familiar with this setup.?

Also I will be converting my bike using cheap eBay kit (1500W probably) and I want to know if it's worth getting battery packs designed for bikes or to go for the cheaper option which is rc lipos.?
I'm quite good with soldering and I got balance chargers and low voltage alarms already.
Thanks.

D

Deleted member 4366

If you already have everything, Lipos can be a good option. I used to use lipos before we had high power batteries, but now I prefer the convenience of a battery with BMS. Most 36v controllers can work with 12S, but they don't cost much, so if it fizzes, get a 48v one. A 48v controller is better for 12S because it's LVC is at the right level.

z10m

Jul 16, 2017
Tunbridge Wells
Most 36v controllers can work with 12S, but they don't cost much, so if it fizzes, get a 48v one. A 48v controller is better for 12S because it's LVC is at the right level.
The iMortor kit has a built in controller so can't easily replace it but I'll try running it with 12S.
Can't find any information about it unfortunately.

Also before I buy the 1500W kit can that be run without them brake levers that come with it.? as my bike has hydraulic brakes.
Anything else I need to know before I buy.?
Thanks.

D

Deleted member 4366

Also before I buy the 1500W kit can that be run without them brake levers that come with it.? as my bike has hydraulic brakes.
Anything else I need to know before I buy.?
Thanks.
It's OK without the brake levers.

Those 1500w kits are very heavy. You can't ride them without power. They're good for constant high speed, but very battery hungry on hilly rides and stop/start riding.

They take at least 35 amps, so need a serious battery. Don't think about a cheap downtube one.

They're totally illegal. \setting them to 250w doesn't make them legal.

z10m

Jul 16, 2017
Tunbridge Wells
Those 1500w kits are very heavy. You can't ride them without power. They're good for constant high speed, but very battery hungry on hilly rides and stop/start riding.

They take at least 35 amps, so need a serious battery. Don't think about a cheap downtube one.
Ok so will lipos be able to handle it.? Let's say 13S 20-30C and 5000mah times two connected in parallel for a total of 48v 10ah..?

D

Deleted member 4366

Yes, but how far do you want to go? I'd say a max of about 8 miles with those. They wouldn't be my choice. You'd have permanent battery anxiety knowing that you can't pedal that bike when it runs out of power, and the temptation to run them just that little bit further would brick them because they go down so fast once past 42v.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Ok so will lipos be able to handle it.? Let's say 13S 20-30C and 5000mah times two connected in parallel for a total of 48v 10ah..?
That should be ok for maybe 10 miles or so.
Most I had out of my 1000 watt DD hub on 10Ah was 19 miles and that was with me pedalling as much as I could.
Throttle only it would run for 9 miles on the flat!

D

Deleted member 4366

So what would be your recommendation for the battery.?
I wouldn't normally recommend the motor, but it depends what you want it for. The idea is great - go zooming around on your bicycle at 30 mph, but it isn't like that. The motor is very heavy, and it needs a heavy expensive battery. You end up with an electric motorcycle that you can't pedal without power and you can't pedal with power because you can't pedal fast enough. If you ride it regularly in the same place, somebody is going to report you, which is the end of the game.

You soon figure out that your brakes, tyres and suspension are beyond their limit, so you have to change your bike or spend a lot of money on it. I guess most of those conversions end up on Ebay waiting to wow the next chump.

I'm not against these motors. If done properly, they suit some people's needs, but you need to be aware of all the limitations. Without knowing your exact needs, I can't say whether it's right for you. All I'm trying to say is that it isn't just as simple as buying a £200 kit and a £200 battery to get e-biking nirvana.