Help! Overweight with health issues

Lass

Just Joined
May 21, 2019
Heya,

So, I'm considering trying to save pennies to buy an electric bike to try and help with my weight issues.

I have 2 types of cancer and am on all sorts of interesting medications, some of which have piled on the pounds - I'm now at almost 23 stone. I've also gone from active to sedantary due to mets in my spine and the pain they cause. And on top of that, the radiation I've had has given me chronic fatigue. Fun huh!

So it looks like most bikes don't cater for my weight, but I've seen some older threads with suggestions in them that could work, but are out of date.

I live on a hill, so can't go out on the normal bike as I can't cycle up the hills. I also can't walk more than 5 mins without a LOT of pain, so having to walk up a hill pushing a bike is out of the question.

So I'm looking for something that will take my weight, fit my height of 5' 10" - with it mostly being in my legs, probably a step through upright to save back pain, is light to manoeuvre, and quite importantly - cheap, because I don't work and am on benefits due to health issues. So it's going to take a while to save up for.

I think that's the important points, thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Reactions: Eagleowl

Lass

Just Joined
May 21, 2019
What's the Bafang system like? I was told to stay away from anything that isn't: Shimano Steps, Bosch, or E-bike motion because those are the best supported in the UK and 'bombproof'.

Obviously I don't want anything that's going to break or have issues and constantly need to head to the shop.

thirteen

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
West Sussex
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?bigbear-ls

It has a throttle. You don't need to pedal if you run out of puff.
From the OP's description, the Big Bear LS came straight to my mind, but I can't recommend from experience.

To the OP:-

It's a difficult one, because you are probably going to get the best physical and mental benefit from getting on an e-bke and using it as early as possible.

My mantra has been this for years: "The best is the enemy of the good." ie you can probably always find a better solution, but if that solution takes more months to save for, a lesser solution available now, could well be a better option.

Lass

Just Joined
May 21, 2019
I've just been having a nosey and there's nowhere that stocks Woosh bikes nearby that I can find. The question above about the electrics still stands too, as they look to be Chinese and I was told to steer clear of those.

I'm def not going to spend this sort of money without seeing the bike in person, and possibly having a sit on it to make sure the dimensions are right and the seat is comfy etc.

So any recommendations and suggestions need to be of things I can easily access to make sure they are right for me.

Thanks.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hi Lass,
If you want to try one, please call 01702-435566 and talk to Hatti.

Reactions: Eagleowl

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Lass the person who told you Bosch,Steps,Shimano are the best are talking b*ll*cks, as they also didn't tell you they are torque multiplier motors that rely on the sheer effort you put in. If suffering from fatigue, lack of stamina/leg power then you will be pushing the bike more then riding one.
The Bafang is a world leading China hub motor and just like the others you mentioned they are all made in the far East.
Hub motor bikes use a cadence rotation sensor and a magnet disc to give power, simply put you only need to ghost pedal for the motor to provide drive and if that gets to much use the throttle.

Ideally before believing what someone says you need to try out the various drive options to see which best suits you, esp try one on a hill.
For a hub bike you need high torque/low rpm motor winding which is ideal for hills, a BPM is ideally what you need or CST hub motor.

Last edited: