Oxydrive battery behaving oddly

Planemo

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2015
My OD battery has started doing weird things around on/off switching. A while back I noticed that occasionally I had to press the on/off button a few times before the battery turned on. I didn't think much of it, it wasn't a major problem, I just thought the switch might have had some dirt in it from the factory and that giving it more time, additional use might help.
Unfortunately it's now it's reached the point where it doesn't work well at all. I initially suspected the switch itself was kaput but the weird thing is, I don't think it is. I had recently left the battery with 3 of 4 bars showing and just thought I would top it up for a ride. I connected up the charger and everything was fine but within a minute or so I had to move the bike so unplugged it all. Out of curiosity I pressed the power button and the battery came on fine, with 3 bars showing. I turned it on and off 7 or 8 times and again all was well. Bonza I thought, must have been a glitch. Went out for a ride, came back (used 1 bar on the battery) and back in the shed the bike went. Next day, same problem. And ever since. The strange thing is, I can connect the charger for a very short time (as little as 30 secs), unplug it and the battery switch comes back to life. And the issue remains whatever the level of the battery so I do not think thats a factor. The best I can ascertain is that after a certain period of time - sometimes as little as a few minutes - the switch stops working. It's literally as if the charger brings it back to life for a short while. And if I get the battery on and go for a ride with the system on it stays on. It's when it's all turned off (even for as little as a minute) that the problem starts.

Apologies for the long post but I'm lost for ideas and I now cant trust using the bike because unless I take the charger with me (and find a power point!) I cannot be sure the system will fire back up to get me home should the system be turned off, either by using the battery button or self time-out.

I am happy to open up the battery case to have a look around but I'm loathe to disturb the tamper stickers on it, at least not without OD's blessing. I haven't spoken to OD yet but just thought I would post up to see if any others have had a similar issue and/or there is a quick fix. Obviously I don't really want to get involved with shipping batteries if at all possible!

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
The problem you describe is what I get when my BMS shuts the battery off because a string of cells has been detected under 3v under load, where the on/off switch does nothing and I have to briefly connect the charger to switch the BMS back on and bring the battery back to life. I am fine with mine as it's a well used battery.
Depending on your batteries life, your battery could either have a faulty BMS or some weak cells and if under warranty may need returning to Oxydrive, if not then needs opening up.

Planemo

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2015
Thanks awol. The kit was bought June 2015 and has only done around 500 miles. I do wonder if it is a BMS/cell issue like you say but it would have to be quite severe wouldnt it? as it seems to happen irrespective of battery level. It also occurs without any load. And oddly, the whole system works fine once the batterys on, at least, it hasnt shut down once whilst riding. Hopefully OD have a collection service.

OldBob1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2012
Staffordshire
Do you have a volt meter? if you do and know how to use it, I would fully charge the battery and check the voltage also check the charger voltage at the same time.

Planemo

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2015
Yep I can do that oldbob. I will post up what I find. In relation to the charger, I dont think I can probe it with it actually charging but i will see what it sends out unconnected if its any help.

dbar

Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2013
I was about to post this exact issue . My Oxydrive battery is behaving exactly like yours.

Planemo

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2015
Interesting dbar.

My battery is charging as we speak so I will have voltage info tomorrow but things seem to have got worse as I tried the battery switch before charging and 3 leds were flickering erratically then all went off. I managed to get 3 on again after several button pushes but it was hit and miss. The battery certainly seems to be unhappy about something.

I powered up the lcd tonight and I was some way off with my previous mileage - the odo (non-resettable I believe) showed 187 miles so the kit has done less work than I thought.

I have sent an online communication to OD so hopefully it will all be worked out.

Planemo

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2015
Charged the battery overnight, everything hooked up OK, red light on charger. Came down this morning, charger light green all looked OK. Unplugged the charger and it measured exactly 42v. Managed to turn on the battery (although the leds flickered a bit) and it showed 42.1v. 15 minutes later it was 41.5. Did the school run, came back and now I cant get the battery to turn on at all, despite going through the charger plugging/unplugging routine which previously would bring it back to life. Gutted really, but at least it seems confirmed that there is an issue within the battery somewhere. Weather is glorious, was going to go for a nice long ride today :(

Not heard from OD yet, maybe they were on holiday?

OldBob1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2012
Staffordshire
Hi Planemo seems to be charging OK, any idea what the voltage was when it refused to turn on after run? does removing battery from bike and then refitting make any difference?

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Could the batteries have gotten water into them and damaged the electronics inside?

Planemo

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2015
I am a fair weather cyclist so my bike doesnt see much water! I got caught out once whilst out so the kit prob would have got splashed but there was certainly no flooding/submersing involved.

I didnt get a reading before the battery went off. I was out about 20 mins. I dont think refitting it to the bike would have made much difference, its never done before when it has failed to switch on.

I had contact from Andrew at OD so the battery is on its way back to him as I type. A hassle and expense I could do without tbh but there doesnt seem to be any other way :(

OldBob1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2012
Staffordshire
It was pointing more to a loose wire or bad connection within the battery? and returning to Andrew at OD should be able to locate fault if on the battery.
Let us know how you get on.