Oxydrive kit cutting out - what to replace?

IanLash

Just Joined
Feb 18, 2017
UK
Hi,
I've had my Oxydrive rear hub kit for about 3 years. I've had a problem for about a year whereby, if I go over a bump or pothole the power to the rear wheel would drop but then come back about two seconds later (the display would show the power bars going down and up, so I know electricity was still flowing). I could live with that, but now the screen power is sometimes cutting completely along with the drive to the rear wheel. I have the press the power button on the handlebar controller to power it up again (the lights on the battery stay on). Sometimes the whole display then starts to flash and goes off again, at which point I have to power cycle the battery. I can't reliably get it to go wrong but I have found if I wheel the bike backwards, even just 20 centimeters, often it will power off.

I have checked all the connections, wiggling every cable. I'm at a loss as to the cause. I've check the battery connections and I can see a small amount of pitting on one of the two female battery contacts, but only at the very end.

I'm happy to replace the kit, but I don't want to replace everything if I don't have to. I've read on here the hub motor (BFSWX20 36V 250W) is bomb proof, so I presume that is not the cause, but me being able to get it to fail by wheeling it backwards makes me think it could be the wheel.

Any ideas please?

Many thanks,
Ian

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If the display/lcd is going blank/turning off then the issue/interuption is between it and the battery. Either the battery discharge connection or the lcd is at fault.

Last edited:

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I agree, as you say it happens when you go over a bump, it's a connection somewhere.
Intermittant faults are a sod to find. Try bouncing the bike front and back, see if it'll do it.
I'd bet the house on you not needing a new kit. It's going to be something stupidly simple once found.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
There is another possible fault but you speak of no error codes showing up and that could be a false or nano second disruption from the hall sensor connection causing the issue. Trace the motor wire to the controller and check the hall connection carefully, possibly a broken wire in it's sheathing or a connection that may have backed out.