Oxydrive kits

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4366

Bargain of the year if you have any money left after Xmas. I just checked the Oxydrive website for another thread and saw massive price reductions. £479 for a Bafang CST kit with 13ah Samsung battery. That's the same stuff that's on the Oxygen MTB that costs £1700! Stick it on a Carera Kraken or something like that and you have one hell of an electric bike for about £700.

Kvothe

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 14, 2014
Bargain of the year if you have any money left after Xmas. I just checked the Oxydrive website for another thread and saw massive price reductions. £479 for a Bafang CST kit with 13ah Samsung battery. That's the same stuff that's on the Oxygen MTB that costs £1700! Stick it on a Carera Kraken or something like that and you have one hell of an electric bike for about £700.
Is it recommended to install this on a mountain bike or will a road or hybrid bike do too?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Any bike, although I can never see the point of wrecking the handling of lightweight road bike with a heavy kit such as this one.

Most conversions are done on mountain bikes or flat bar hybrids.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I keep on about getting a winter bike and am now tempted of having this kit to put on my Gary Fisher, the one I came off last winter on the black ice and not seen since. I limped to a friends and it's been there ever since as my Delite arrived and therefore it's been out of my mind.

I am not into doing things these days, quite capable, just lazy. I prefer to let someone else do it but it must be the new year as I have the urge to have a go.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I keep on about getting a winter bike and am now tempted of having this kit to put on my Gary Fisher, the one I came off last winter on the black ice and not seen since. I limped to a friends and it's been there ever since as my Delite arrived and therefore it's been out of my mind.

I am not into doing things these days, quite capable, just lazy. I prefer to let someone else do it but it must be the new year as I have the urge to have a go.
Slap some studded tyres on the Gary Fisher and the winter world's your lobster.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Slap some studded tyres on the Gary Fisher and the winter world's your lobster.
With or without the motor? I wouldn't ride the circuit I do these days unassisted.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
With or without the motor? I wouldn't ride the circuit I do these days unassisted.
Don't blame you, that long climb through the forest we did would be ruddy hard work in soft conditions.

So I was thinking with the motor, although I'm told studded tyres roll well

The leader of the group I ride with deployed his for the first time this season.

He swears by them, calls them his Rice Crispies tyres - there is a snap, crackle, pop, as they go over hard surfaces.

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
dear all, ive taken the plunge and ordered the £479 CST HT kit - for me its a significant sum, but it seems very hard (impossible) to beat at the price - do any of you have one already? I hope to put it (as a 700c) in a B'twin Triban (cheap decathlon aluminium racer) - I have four questions: what kind of real world hill climbing can one expect? without getting into any debate about what should be, would one get in trouble with plod if one had an accident (350W), would the aluminium rear quick release dropouts survive the torque? and finally is it possible to install the movement sensor without undoing the crank arms? as always many thanks for your advice

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
  • Can't answer the hill climb question fully enough but 270rpm suggests it is middle of the road winding for climbing may be better if it was a 230/250 winding.
  • If it is marked 250w you will be ok.
  • Re dropouts fit at least one if not two torque arms cyclezee sell them.
  • You might be able to fit the sensor ring without removal but the actual sensored plate will require crank removal to clamp it.

Last edited:
Reactions: selrahc1992

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
  • Can't answer the hill climb question fully enough but 270rpm suggests it is middle of the road winding for climbing may be better if it was a 230/250 winding.
  • If it is marked 250w you will be ok.
  • Re dropouts fit at least one if not two torque arms cyclezee sell them.
  • You might be able to fit the sensor ring without removal but the actual sensored plate will require crank removal to clamp it.
many thanks for useful advice, will give feedback about real world performance once I have it (270rpm would be good for speed so tricky trade-off I think)

Kvothe

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 14, 2014
dear all, ive taken the plunge and ordered the £479 CST HT kit - for me its a significant sum, but it seems very hard (impossible) to beat at the price - do any of you have one already? I hope to put it (as a 700c) in a B'twin Triban (cheap decathlon aluminium racer) - I have four questions: what kind of real world hill climbing can one expect? without getting into any debate about what should be, would one get in trouble with plod if one had an accident (350W), would the aluminium rear quick release dropouts survive the torque? and finally is it possible to install the movement sensor without undoing the crank arms? as always many thanks for your advice
I'm on the same boat as you are.
Would love to hear how you get along with your conversion!

D

Deleted member 4366

As the Kit is the same as the Oxygen MTB (same controller, motor and battery), its performance is pretty well documented. It won the World Championships in Bristol with a rank amateur rider against semi-pros on the the other bikes, and that was when it was restricted. I had one on loan for a bit and tested it unrestricted to see what it could do. In a 700C wheel, it maxes out at about 27 mph, but it gives strong power up to about 24 mph. Torque is proportionally less than when in a 26" wheel, but it's still pretty good.

Be aware that as well as the six speed levels in the LCD, there's three power levels, which gives 18 levels altogether. The three power levels are something like eco, normal and sport, so for maximum, you have to have both settings on maximum. The six levels also limit the speed from the throttle, so don't worry when you open the throttle and it doesn't go very fast.

1boris

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2013
But the oxydrive kit is marked 350w and not legal? For me it is a mysterium how this hub motor with such high top speed can have good torque with a 15a controller.Even my Mac 12 (25kmh max speed) didnt have good climbing power at 15a.And my 250w CST (250 rpm) wasnt much stronger than a normal 250w motor at 15a

D

Deleted member 4366

Who said that it's marked 350w? It's not 15A either. The whole point of these bigger 250w motors is that you can run higher currents. I think Heinzmann were the first to exploit that loophole with their 200w 36v motor that ran at 28A.

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
As the Kit is the same as the Oxygen MTB (same controller, motor and battery), its performance is pretty well documented. It won the World Championships in Bristol with a rank amateur rider against semi-pros on the the other bikes, and that was when it was restricted. I had one on loan for a bit and tested it unrestricted to see what it could do. In a 700C wheel, it maxes out at about 27 mph, but it gives strong power up to about 24 mph. Torque is proportionally less than when in a 26" wheel, but it's still pretty good.

Be aware that as well as the six speed levels in the LCD, there's three power levels, which gives 18 levels altogether. The three power levels are something like eco, normal and sport, so for maximum, you have to have both settings on maximum. The six levels also limit the speed from the throttle, so don't worry when you open the throttle and it doesn't go very fast.
many thanks, should have twigged its a oxygen mtb..

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Look for the 250 watt sticker. As long as you don't pass a policeman at 30 with your feet on the bars you should slip under the radar.
Two accident scenarios spring to mind.
1 worse case a fatality. Then the bike is tested.
Result is bad with no insurance and etc.
2 injury. Unless the bike is held/ tested no proof of illegality is available. Run out the insurance and pray you are not caught.

Personal experience was 17 mph on a slight down hill.
Bike was legal.
Driver since prosecuted, still working out damages ££?
Two months on sick and bust bike and arm.
Could have been pricy.

Staffordshirehills

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2014
This looks to be a great piece of kit for the money. I was looking at the BB01 which looked quite simple. Is swapping the rear gear system difficult? I am a complete novice with mechanics but hoping for a Spring project and have time to tinker. Thanks in advance.