OxyDrive RC kit hybrid installation review

D

Deleted member 4366

The speed signal should read correctly. Something isn't set right. It's using the wrong setting. IIRC, There's a parameter in the LCD settings where you change it the hub's speed as opposed to the motor's speed. I'm not on my PC at the moment, so I can't get at my manuals. Perhaps someone else knows otherwise I'll have a look tomorrow.

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
Hi - though I'd share my review with anyone who wants to find out about fitting the kit to a hybrid bike and the challenges this might present.

OxyDrive RC electric bicycle kit fitted to a Trek 7.3FX 2014 hybrid
Good review, I had the same issues with the pas sensor - I'm really not aufait on electrical stuff,but it beats me why they can't make a thinner magnet ring (I had to remove a chainring in the end). Like you I like the kit ( I have the rear wheel model),my only constructive criticism is that I think Chinese kits use relatively weak rims - even after careful truing and tightening spokes I bent mine on the local potholes which are very bad. As I'm sure you know the basic setting is for 27.5 wheels,not 28/29 or 700c

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
there are two frequent difficulties when fitting a front motor wheel to the Trek 7.3: the fork profile is tapered such a way that the motor casing may rub against the fork and there is no room to fit the PAS sensor to the chain side. If it were my bike, I'd go for a rear motor wheel and fit a left sided pedelec sensor like this one;

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
To get the correct speed reading you do need to set the right wheel size in the settings. Press set for 3 secs then set twice more then press + or - to change wheel size.

easyman

Just Joined
Feb 28, 2015
Thanks trex - if only I'd known about the front fork issue before hand! I even asked the guy at OxyDrive about the RC kit and the Trek 7.3 specifically and he said he thought it would be fine. I did take this on as a project to see what I could achieve - and it does say on the OxyDrive details there is no guarantee it will work with all bikes/frames so I'm not complaining - just wanted to share the details.

The left-hand sensor is indeed an option to try - but I don't like the fact it's so exposed to accidental impact damage.

Nealh - yep - already did all the resets and settings on the control panel, it's set to the correct wheel size even by default - it reads out about 2.5 when I'm probably doing around 17 or so... If you have any suggestions I'd appreciate them...

OXYDrive

Finding my (electric) wheels
Hi Easyman,

Thanks for your very comprehensive review, much appreciate your comments incl those negative ones and will certainly take these on board.

Now coming to your problem of speed reading. Please press SET for 3 seconds to enter settings mode, then quickly press SET again 4 times so the left bottom figure changes from mode 0 to no4.Then In your top right corner you will see digit 6, with + or - button change this from 6 to 1. There are only two options in mode 4, its either 6 or 1, must be 1. Do nothing for 3 seconds and this will exit settings mode automatically, your sppedo will now show correct reading. Please make sure you do everything quickly, if you do nothing for 3 seconds it exits settings mode automatically.

Any problem with this just give me a buzz on 0773 8866502, will guide you then over the phone.

All the best
Andrew

Reactions: Waynejoseph79

easyman

Just Joined
Feb 28, 2015
Hi OXYDrive, I just set the control panel as you suggested and the speed readout is now correct - thanks very much for the help. I'll update the review accordingly.

morsmana

Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2015
Hi Eastman good review, and echos many of the points I made when I did my conversion. I managed to use the non magnetic speed sensor. I also needed a new set of front forks as I spun out the motor and there's no way of using a torque arm with the minimal length flats on the axle. Plus the new bottom brackets as I tried to get the mag ring to work and then decided to get the other speed sensor working. Not sure if it's a problem, but every now and then when riding uphill, the speed reading seems to jump high, which then turns off the motor just when you need it most! Not sure what the problem is yet. I'm converting my wife's bike soon and will see if it does the same.

D

Deleted member 4366

Not sure if it's a problem, but every now and then when riding uphill, the speed reading seems to jump high, which then turns off the motor just when you need it most! Not sure what the problem is yet. I'm converting my wife's bike soon and will see if it does the same.
I've not heard of yhay problem before. The controller gets its speed signal up the motor wire. Are you sure that the motor connector is pushed together as far as it goes?

morsmana

Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2015
I
I've not heard of yhay problem before. The controller gets its speed signal up the motor wire. Are you sure that the motor connector is pushed together as far as it goes?
i'll give it a check and make sure both ends are pushed fully home, thanks