Oxydrive Spanner 08 error

Staffordshirehills

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2014
Hi, Has anyone got a clue what this error means. I don't think I'm getting full power but otherwise all seems to be smooth. I have contacted Andrew at Oxydrive but he is away at the moment. Thanks.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
08 is Abnormal Controller Communication. Check the controller wiring especially have a look to see that no pins have been bent in the connectors.
Also check any wiring has not been tied to tight, cable ties can cause wire breaks if to tight, a better safer option is to use double sided 10mm Velcro as ties. Other wise suspect a faulty controller.

• Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

Staffordshirehills

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2014
08 is Abnormal Controller Communication. Check the controller wiring especially have a look to see that no pins have been bent in the connectors.
Also check any wiring has not been tied to tight, cable ties can cause wire breaks if to tight, a better safer option is to use double sided 10mm Velcro as ties. Other wise suspect a faulty controller.
Thanks for your help. I will disconnect and connect again. I'll also look for cable ties too tight. Any other tips?

Staffordshirehills

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2014
Thanks for your help. Checked all connectors and undone the cable ties. However we hadn't fully tightened them as yesterday was the first time we've had her going since we sorted the bumping feeling on the front wheel. I have to say, I didn't take much notice of the control panel until I got back (1mile trip) as I was concentrating on changing the power levels to see how the bike felt. It was only when I then went to change the settings for mph and took her for a run that I noticed the 08 spanner. It could well have been there before. image.jpeg

Attachments

Staffordshirehills

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2014
Pictures above. Sequence shows display seen before the flashing 08 pops up. I've checked all connectors, all seem OK. Can't see anything rubbed. I've only done just over a mile on the first test. Don't know what to do next. Thanks for any advice. What is the extra, loose double pin for? Have I missed something?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It just may be a controller glich / issue in which case you will have speak to Andrew, he's probably away on business or hols. I expect he may send you another controller to try to see if the issue goes away once you have spoken to him or he sees this thread.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Staffordshirehills

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2014
Thanks Nealh, I have been in touch with Andrew but he is away at the moment. It is so frustrating. I just get over one hurdle think it's a goer and then there is another barrier. I think I will open the champagne when she finally gets going...

Staffordshirehills

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2014
Andrew has kindly sent me a new controller. He has recommended removing the battery before I connect it up. Because I'm so useless I am now struggling to remove said battery. Any tips? Someone somewhere has stolen my brain. Thanks for your advice.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Use the key to unlock it, slide and lift off.

Staffordshirehills

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2014
Thanks Nealh. Battery removed, new control unit fitted. Battery charged and put back. Was feeling excited but 08 error still showing. I've emailed Andy but any tips or ideas would be appreciated. It's so frustrating to be so close yet so far away .

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
try disconnecting the motor cable, switch on. If the error is still there, disconnect next the brake sensors next, try again, then disconnect the throttle.
After that, if the error is still showing, then you have narrowed down to a possible short in the trunk cable.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
you now know it's not the motor connections. Leave the motor plugged in, try disconnecting the brake sensors next.

Staffordshirehills

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2014
Everything else still shows the 08. I have noticed a nasty pinch on the cable coming out of the motor by the drop outs. Could this be it or does the change to the 04 error when disconnected rule this out? image.jpeg

• Agree
Reactions: IR772

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
no, the error 04 means motor phase wires disconnected. You you see it even if you disconnect only one of the three phase wires.
You have now narrowed the fault down to either a short in the trunk cable or a problem within the LCD, causing it to report a communication issue.
The next step would be to send back to Andrew the old controller and your LCD, they can then plug your LCD into a working kit (test by substitution) to see if it has gone wrong. My guess it's the LCD.

Staffordshirehills

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2014
Thanks Trex, so the pinch I've shown above could be the fault (short in the trunk)? Or more likely the LCD which I should send back for testing? Sorry to sound so thick. When I sort it, a little file on the metal to stop the pinch would be a good idea?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the motor cable has to turn 90 degrees coming out of the motor's spindle, that's normal to see a pinch. The insulation and sheathing must still not be damaged. The trunk cable I referred to is between the controller and the LCD. It's possible to test the trunk cable, the two well known brands are Higu and Juliet, but if you have not done this before, don't bother, it's unlikely faulty.
Your problem is the communication between the LCD and controller.