Oxygen CB Hybrid Mk I or Mk II

nighteyeswolf

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 6, 2021
Hello folks,

I'm thinking that the Oxygen CB Hybrid looks like a good shout for my first ebike, but I'm not sure whether it's better to get the older or newer model. What do you all think?

The Mk 1 can be derestricted, as far as I understand, but there's only a 10.4ah battery available

The Mk 2 is available with a 16ah battery

I'll be using it for leisure, on roads and relatively well-established trails in a hilly area (but I won't be going up mountains), and honestly I don't think range is super important to me.

Edit: I've just seen that the newer version has hydraulic brakes, so that might make the decision for me.

Cheers!

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The newer version has a cassette motor and cassette (freehub) gears too, though there wasn't really anything wrong with the freewheel gears on the earlier versions. It's not a massive difference. Hydraulic brakes can be upgraded too for about £40. They're definitely worth having.

If derestriction is important and you have the smallest amount of electrical ability, it's not difficult to swap out the control system for one that you can set up how you like, and it's a better control system for around £80.

Oxygens have always been good reliable bikes apart from one batch in about 2013 when the supplier messed up the wiring harnesses. Everything has moved on since then.

Reactions: nighteyeswolf

nighteyeswolf

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 6, 2021
The newer version has a cassette motor and cassette (freehub) gears too, though there wasn't really anything wrong with the freewheel gears on the earlier versions. It's not a massive difference. Hydraulic brakes can be upgraded too for about £40. They're definitely worth having.

If derestriction is important and you have the smallest amount of electrical ability, it's not difficult to swap out the control system for one that you can set up how you like, and it's a better control system for around £80.

Oxygens have always been good reliable bikes apart from one batch in about 2013 when the supplier messed up the wiring harnesses. Everything has moved on since then.
Thanks so much. That's all really helpful.