oxygen charging question

stevieb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
i have a strange issue with my oxygen emate mtb 13ahr.
i have done 15 miles from new and when i put it on charge the green light on the charger comes on instantly indicating a full charge even though the lcd diplay shows one bar down on full charge.
if i switch the charger off then press the button on the battery which activates it and shows the condition of charge , then put the charger on again the red light comes on and appears to charge the battery but stays lit for longer than i would expect for this level of charge required.
i eventually swiched it off in case it caused any problems and the green fully charged light had sill not come on .
this is the first time i have tried to recharge the bike .
i cannot find anything about this in the manual or by doing a search and followed the correct procedure to the letter.
can anyone shed any light on this ?
thanks

D

Deleted member 4366

I don't know quite what the logic is, but I'm pretty sure they're all like that and the battery has to be switched off to charge. I had one on loan for a bit that was the same. I plugged in the charger, and if it didn't go red, I pressed the on/off switch, which started it charging. I then left it until it went red. You should make sure that the LCD is switched off when charging. No harm would be done with it switched on, but it might stop the light from going green.

stevieb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
thanks for the quick reply.
my one appears to need the battery switched on to charge.
with the battery switched on the red led on the charger came on as soon as the charger was switched on and stayed on for a long time , even after the charge level on the battery showed full .
i then switched off the charger and disconnected it .
i switched on the lcd display and it read full charge and bms 40.2
i was concerned about how the led on the charger had not turned green even though every thing showed fully charged.
could it be that the bms value of 40.2 is a more accurate state of battery charge and that the battery is not really fully charged yet?

D

Deleted member 4366

40.2v is nowhere near fully charged. It should be about 42v. Don't take any notice of those battery level indicators.

stevieb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
thats good to hear .
i will keep it on charge longer
thanks again for keeping me right

stevieb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
ok now after being on charge for longer the charger led has turned green and the reading on the lcd is more or less 42v.
i will now only use this readout as an indication of the state of battery charge.
so with this in mind if fully charged is 42 what does it read when nearly discharged .
thanks

D

Deleted member 4366

The battery goes down more or less linearly to about 34v, and then starts accelerating downwards to its cut-off at about 31v. You can get some idea of what the state of charge is from the LCD. After a few rides, you can see how it works. It will give a repeatable result. Each segment will disappear at a particular voltage, but the voltage changes by about 2v depending on how much power you use.