Oxygen eMate MTB Motor Noise & Vibration

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
I'm used to the rather loud whine of the motor on my Oxygen. It's a RWD machine, so the worst of the noise is behind me, so no big deal.

However, since I got the machine very wet a couple of weeks ago, I've noticed that there is often a short, rasping noise when I lift off the power by stopping pedalling and a vibration that passes through the drivetrain and is clearly felt. With the Ice Spiker tyres I've had on the bike, I might, just, have been able to miss the noise - although it is quite loud - but not the vibration I can clearly sense.

It seems to be a clutch engaging/disengaging. At least that's my guess. Does the motor have a clutch mechanism and is it a weakness of the model? The power seems to be feeding in fine, but if it's a sign the motor is going to disintegrate, I'll d something about it.

TIA

D

Deleted member 4366

Most likely the free-wheel in the cassette hub is sticking. Try and get some 3-in-one oil down the back of the cassette to where the hub goes into the motor. Water can get in there and it makes the pawls go rusty.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
Sorry Dave, I don't think this is the cassette. This is far too loud a noise for that and makes quite a distinct judder through the drivetrain. I don't think the cassette would make such a noise nor vibration.

D

Deleted member 4366

The only way you can feel anything at the pedals when you're free-wheeling is when the cassette free-wheel is not working properly. Other than that, we need a new description of the problem.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
OK, the freewheel works fine, but when I lift off the power whilst pedalling there is a short, rasping noise (like a clutch engaging/disengaging). The best way I can describe the noise is that it sounds like a donkey with a sore throat! Only not quite as loud. The sound itself may be hard to describe, but the action itself is powerful enough to send a small jolt through the drivetrain that I can pick up through the pedals.

Advertisers