oxygen problem

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
Just had a small problem with my Oxygen ST Cross, which I think is caused by a design fault. All through last year from April onwards I was able to ride without getting wet . Late on in year got caught out in heavy rain and was then not able to get out for a while. On using bike again I found that the rear brake cable was very stiff and would hardly work. However I dismissed it and thought nothing more of it. Decided to get out over xmas and found that the rear cable was virtually seized up. Replaced the cable and found it to be rusted. Now works but not smooth in operation. Must need a new outer. I think the problem has been caused because where the cable exits to go into the caliper it is pointing upwards and that water has run down into it. The fact that I did not use it allowed it to rust. Wonder if anyone else has had a similar problem. I will try and post a photo when I can figure it out on this damn chromebook

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
I think the problem has been caused because where the cable exits to go into the caliper it is pointing upwards and that water has run down into it. The fact that I did not use it allowed it to rust.
Yes I get exactly the same problem because my cable points up too, although my problem is when it's freezing and the rear brake cable freezes solid so am down to front brake only. As Nealh says above some hydraulics will sort it. I got some of these for £20 each, just havent got round to fitting them yet but know they are good as they are on my emtb.
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/clarks-m2-hydraulic-disc-brake-rotor/rp-prod135586?mx=a

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
It happens. Oiling the cables occasionally will reduce the problem dramatically in my experience.
Also, having curves in the outer that can collect and hold water is also bad....it freezes on cold days!
Best wishes for 2019.
Andy

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
A really pair of crappy fuzzy pics hurts my eyes just looking.
Best answer is to dump the crappy cable brakes and fit a Hydraulic disc brake instead, get a fairly basic shimano set up already pre bled and takes about 15 =20 mins to swap over, et voila no more cable or brake issue giving superior wet weather performance as well.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHIMANO-BR-BL-M355-Hydraulic-Disc-Brake-MTB-Bike-Brake-Set-Rotors-Front-and-Rear/371808081226?hash=item56917d154a:rk:1:pf:0&var
thanks for reply and sorry fpr pics. Really rubbish phone camera. May have a look at hydraulics. My main thrust was that it is a design flaw that could be easily rectified

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
thanks for reply and sorry fpr pics. Really rubbish phone camera. May have a look at hydraulics. My main thrust was that it is a design flaw that could be easily rectified
if you look for design faults in e-bikes, you are going to be busy for a long time.
Everybody knows that the main problem is water, rain and condensation.
The best solution is always do your best to keep the bike warm and dry. If you have to leave the bike outside overnight, invest £10 in a plastic bike cover.

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
if you look for design faults in e-bikes, you are going to be busy for a long time.
Everybody knows that the main problem is water, rain and condensation.
The best solution is always do your best to keep the bike warm and dry. If you have to leave the bike outside overnight, invest £10 in a plastic bike cover.
yes agree with you. Nothing will ever be perfect but I would have thought feedback would be good for companies, and to me a minor problem but a simple one to solve. I used my Freego Eagle for six years in all weathers and never had this problem, so it doesn't need to be there. As I said this was first occasion when it was out in rain, so is a definite weakness, but having said that in general a nice bike and well built, for my purposes. Never left outside .
regards

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
yes agree with you. Nothing will ever be perfect but I would have thought feedback would be good for companies, and to me a minor problem but a simple one to solve. I used my Freego Eagle for six years in all weathers and never had this problem, so it doesn't need to be there. As I said this was first occasion when it was out in rain, so is a definite weakness, but having said that in general a nice bike and well built, for my purposes. Never left outside .
regards
I usually replace cable operated brakes with hydraulic brakes in recent years but even before the upgrades, brake cables are routed downward to avoid this potential problem.
However, as an interesting stats, the older customers look after their bikes better than the younger, easily by a factor of 2.