Paintwork protection ?

pichipedals

Pedelecer
Jan 7, 2016
I'll be protecting vulnerable areas of the frame with paint protection film, but wondering what to apply to the rest - i've got ceramic coatings on one of my cars (Gtechniq) and expensive carnauba wax on the other. Both work well but that latter needs more upkeep and is less dirt repellent in general.

What are people using to keep road grime at bay, or at least to make washing / upkeep easier ?

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
I use MUD.
Once applied it forms a protective coating, which improves over the course of the winter . Come springtime I just remove with water and hey presto! lovely paintwork and no rust

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I use MUD.
Once applied it forms a protective coating, which improves over the course of the winter . Come springtime I just remove with water and hey presto! lovely paintwork and no rust
You've just reminded me; I did mean to clean off last winter's mud in spring. I guess it's a bit late now.

Reactions: egroover

pichipedals

Pedelecer
Jan 7, 2016
I’ve heard of ACF50 but I’d it a dry film once applied and will it rub of on contact areas like the top tube and cranks ?

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
I’ve heard of ACF50 but I’d it a dry film once applied and will it rub of on contact areas like the top tube and cranks ?
It's an oil-based corrosion inhibitor. Dirt sticks to it and it makes a right old mess- probably not quite what you're after!

Atlav4

Pedelecer
Feb 16, 2020
Electricians tape wound as neatly as possible on anywhere that may rub scrape or scuff. Easy on a black frame but tape comes in a variety of colours just match as close as possible.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
  • :D
Reactions: Nealh and MontyPAS

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
I've been putting this stuff on my beaten up old frame. After 6 years, it now looks like new:
It says it protects from precipitation- I wonder if it helps you ride your bike in the rain....

• :D
Reactions: MontyPAS

pichipedals

Pedelecer
Jan 7, 2016
Well I might live in a rural area but theres Not a lot of mud on the roads so that option is out.

wont be putting helicopter tape or PPF all over the frame either, just areas of cable rubbing and stone / debris vulnerability.

looks like the rest of the frame and wheel rims will be ceramic coated then.

thanks

Peddlin' Pedro

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I use MUD.
Absorbs radar too if distributed properly. Perfect if you're running on the naughty side the pedelec regs, so I'm told

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I've been putting this stuff on my beaten up old frame. After 6 years, it now looks like new:
I'm confused there. Have you been putting it on your own beaten up old frame, or your bike's beaten up old frame?

Pedaluma

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2020
I use spray on/wipe off car wax as I dry a bike after washing. It leaves a protective film and is quick and easy. I wash bikes outside in a portable bike stand using a spray bottle with some laundry soap and shampoo with water and a touch of fabric softener. I then rinse using a yard sprayer with water. The pressure of a pump up yard sprayer is low enough not to penetrate into bearings. To protect the tires from dirt, I use a bit of DOT 5 in a spray bottle with a dash of dish soap and mostly water. This also makes them look new and works great on plastic such as battery covers and cable housings.

Reactions: pichipedals

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020