parmesan cheese in bags? wtf?

Clockwise

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2013
I dunno if anyone has noticed this but I went to the shops earlier looking for the usual carboard cylinder of "grated italian hard cheese" formerly known as parmesan and found on a shelf but now in the fridge. I would usually buy the massive tub and put it in the cupboard and it lasts for ages so having passed the running low and reaching empty I asked one of the people stacking shelves who then pointed out a weird bag with parmigano reggiano written on it(the italian for parmesan) and available in 3 different strengths of price tag...

wtf

Hopefully nobody can find it and I was the only one who asked and then walked away in disgust so they are forced to go back to selling the old stuff. Sadly I doubt it will happen and it will become like milk in bags, cereal in bags and other things in bags that just don't belong.

lectureral

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2007
Suva, Fiji
The stuff in the cardboard tubes is dried and inferior to the stuff in the fridge section. In France fresh parmesan has been sold in bags for a long time. The trick is to keep it in the freezer - you can use it straight away and it tastes better than the stuff that comes in cardboard. In this way it keeps forever if you are a light user.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
The reason they don't sell the stuff in cardboard tubes anymore, is because it was disgusting stuff that is a world away from real Parmesan cheese.
In recent years they weren't even allowed to call it Parmesan, and had to call it Italian 'style' hard cheese or something similar. It was a concoction of dried cheese, flavourings, preservatives and various additives and e numbers.
It was truly gross.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
I prefer to buy 200 grams of solid Parmesan and grate it as I need it, tastes much better and fresher to me than ready grated.
Hope this doesn't sound snobbish!

greencat

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 5, 2014
I thought this was going to be a rather different story so I'll share mine instead.

Quite a few years ago, there was a god awful stink in the office. Embarrassingly, it was tracked down to one of my old style Karrimor panniers. We emptied it out. Nothing. Looked inside. Still nothing.

Puzzled, I left it a couple more weeks with my colleagues complaining more and more about my bike bags.

Then one day I reached in to get something from the back pocket of one of the panniers and something dislodged. A sizeable piece of brie, blackened (with mould), emerged. It turned out that I'd rammed it there a couple of months earlier during a weekend cycling trip to Menorca and over the weeks it had molded(!) itself to the dimensions of the pocket and become invisible in the gloomy depths.

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I prefer to buy 200 grams of solid Parmesan and grate it as I need it, tastes much better and fresher to me than ready grated.
Hope this doesn't sound snobbish!
Ditto, much better than pre-grated.

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
How long do you keep it in the fridge?

The tesco block I buy says one week but I usually use it a lot longer than that.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013

The tesco block I buy says one week but I usually use it a lot longer than that.
My Tesco wedge has a best before date 14/4/14 and once opened keeps for several weeks if well wrapped.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Depends on the quality. The very hard and dry blocks I used to be able to buy lasted infinitely, but the very slightly softer blocks in stock now don't last beyond a few weeks without sweating.

Clockwise

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2013
The stuff in the cardboard tubes is dried and inferior to the stuff in the fridge section. In France fresh parmesan has been sold in bags for a long time. The trick is to keep it in the freezer - you can use it straight away and it tastes better than the stuff that comes in cardboard. In this way it keeps forever if you are a light user.
It's been in the fridge for about a decade now or as long as it's been sainsburys and not J Sainsburys, next to the once opened ketchup and other stuff that shouldn't be there. I'm expecting to turn over a packet one day and see "once opened consume within 25 seconds".

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
I can't believe I've posted twice about cheese, three times now.

laoniu

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 28, 2014
It was a concoction of dried cheese, flavourings, preservatives and various additives and e numbers.
It was truly gross.

————————————————————————
The video is about Buy Fut coins.good!

Advertisers