Partical physics...

Paul smith

Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2016
..or bike chains..what a marvel of engineering they are..they really are....been looking at them very closely the last day or so..decided to order one....an a cassette..£70 inc p&p..they arrived.... chain too small...tried to take a few links off old chain..ballsed it up so that's £30 notes in the bin..phoned my lbs...yes we got chains for e-bike here..i,ll be down in 20 mins..free-wheeled most of the way down......of course all his chains were the same size as the one I bought...114link..too short..had to push the ****** back home...all up hill...he,s now ordered me a extra long e-bike chain..plus a double chainring up front as mine was chewed....as for the cassette t,was the right size..an managed to fit it myself..so the day wasn,t a total right off...love this bikeing malarkey....

Reactions: LeighPing

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
..or bike chains..what a marvel of engineering they are..they really are....been looking at them very closely the last day or so..decided to order one....an a cassette..£70 inc p&p..they arrived.... chain too small...tried to take a few links off old chain..ballsed it up so that's £30 notes in the bin..phoned my lbs...yes we got chains for e-bike here..i,ll be down in 20 mins..free-wheeled most of the way down......of course all his chains were the same size as the one I bought...114link..too short..had to push the ****** back home...all up hill...he,s now ordered me a extra long e-bike chain..plus a double chainring up front as mine was chewed....as for the cassette t,was the right size..an managed to fit it myself..so the day wasn,t a total right off...love this bikeing malarkey....
My simple solution was to settle on an always available well known maker and model of chain and buy two. Then add the extra bit needed from the second chain, keeping the rest of it.

Future changes I buy the same chain type and do the same again, adding a bit from that spare chain.

Paul smith

Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2016
...done a bit of reading up on chains..cheezuz..wish I hadn,t bothered ..what a palavour...so tell me something...one chain link..= one chain pin yes??,,as for breaking chains..thats another story... you not supposed to break links on some chains cause it messes the head up on one side of the pin..sorry I don,t know the right wording...that prob don,t make sense..eek

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No, the photo below shows one chain link:

It's basically a centre section plus two outer side plates.

And one can have a half link to shorten or lengthen a chain by less, photo of one below:

You can see the side plates are stepped so it's both a middle and outer section.

There's no problem with breaking bike chains if the right tool is used.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Paul smith

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
Spare a thought for us recumbentist , our chains generally are 2.5 times a standard one, then again coz it's longer it wears longer on the whole,so always have a spare length around .

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
No, the photo below shows one chain link:

It's basically a centre section plus two outer side plates.

And one can have a half link to shorten or lengthen a chain by less, photo of one below:

You can see the side plates are stepped so it's both a middle and outer section.

There's no problem with breaking bike chains if the right tool is used.
I use powerlinks..
Makes the job so much easier.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/sram-powerlink-powerlock-chain-connector/rp-prod871?gs=1&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Chain+Reaction-UK-PLA-PLA-All-MB-SE-Shopping+QLB+Generic+Mobile&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid|slYkrHbpC_dm|pcrid|161811237292|pkw||pmt||prd|189017UK

Paul smith

Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2016
Is it ok to use more than one powerlink in a chain?..i,ve read different opinions on the matter...some say they not as strong as normal links.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Is it ok to use more than one powerlink in a chain?..i,ve read different opinions on the matter...some say they not as strong as normal links.
I think not. I use them too for the single join, but would never use more than one.

• Informative

Advertisers