PAS - Bike Speed - fixed or variable possible ?

championc

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 21, 2020
Hi all,

I've electrified my Dad's bike and all is working. Everything came from eBay / AliExpress. Although I have a throttle, I'll be disconnecting it for him. It's part of a keyswitch handgrip unit.

I have a question about the PAS - what is the difference in outcome between having a 5, 8 or 12 magnet disc ?

Can I affect the speed of the bike - I want to slow it down. The controller has a "3 speed" 3 wire connector. I read that shorting combinations of speed wires may lead to an increase or decrease in speed. I'm not sure if my 3 wire cable is for this purpose ?

Or should the PAS make it go faster, the faster you pedal ? It currently just shoots off.

Thanks in advance

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You probably have one of those horrible speed control kits which gives max current all the time.

More magnets means quicker response time for the PAS to kick in.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
To operate the three speed switch, you join the black to one of the others to get a 10% boost, and black to the remaining one to get restricted speed. You have to try to see which is which. Nothing connected is normal operation.

The boost speed is done by altering the timing. It optimises the motor when already running at high speed at the expense of low speed efficiency. You shouldn't leave it connected for all-round riding. If you want the extra speed, you should wire in a three position switch and engage it once you get up to about 12 mph for best effect and best use of the battery.

Advertisers