PAS Conversion kit for Right side of bike

GASBAGSMike

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2017
Great Ayton
I have ordered a Swytch conversion for my Koga hub gear belt-driven bike. The bike does not have a square taper bottom bracket which would make it easy to fit a PAS system -a KT-D12L with a higo connector push-fit /waterproof type.
I have checked with my local bike shop and they say that there are two ways to go ahead:
1 Change over the BB to a square taper BB but they say that this would be a retrograde step, and it would be expensive.
2 Attach the disc with the 12 magnets to the "Belt-Ring". I would need to cut out the centre of the disc - my local bike shop told me of possible places to have it cut out. It would then be screwed onto the "Belt-Ring". However I would need to switch to a KT-D12R conversion kit. I have found one possible supplier - www.e-go-trips.co.uk. I have sent them an email. Does anyone know where else I might get one? It must have the 3 pin higo connector.

Thankyou

Mike

KT-D12L - Higo connector.jpg

D

Deleted member 4366

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bike-Electric-Bicycle-Power-Pedal-Assist-Sensor-Cycling-Accessories-5-12-Magnets/263290791064?hash=item3d4d5aa498:m:mBfH7YHpiV0icoddgIb2N6w

Dremmel the centre out and epoxy it to your chainwheel(cost £0), Make your own bracket for the sensor (cost about £0 to £0.10), cut the connectors off this and your kit's sensor, swap them over by soldering the wires together. Insulate with heat-shrink (cost about £0.10). Job done. Total cost ca. £1.89.

Or, you can use the Swytch sensor by dremmeling out the centre and making a bracket for it.

Here' a sample DIY bracket:
passensorbrkt.JPG

• Agree
Reactions: harrys

GASBAGSMike

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2017
Great Ayton
Thanks for your help & I can see how to 'dremel' out the disc. However the sensor connects by 3-pin Higo connector to the controller at the handlebar. I don't think that it is possible to buy a KT-D12R with a Higo connector - I have searched. I have found a KT-D12R with a 3 pin JST SM connector. So my solution would be:
I could buy a KT-D12R sensor from eBay with a 3 pin male JST-SM connector
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272864678672?ViewItem=&item=272864678672

Then cut off the JST SM connector. Then cut the KT-D12L lead with the Higo male end (which I have bought) to 2 inches.
Join up the two ends with solder
See http://e-bike-marke-eigenbau.de/index.php/en/connect-cables-by-soldering/knots-preparing-the-cable-ends

This should work - any better solution?

Thanks

Mike

D

Deleted member 4366

Surely, if the sensor comes in the kit, it must have the right connector. why do you think it doesn't?

GASBAGSMike

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2017
Great Ayton
It comes in a kit based upon the disc being fitted on a square taper BB on the left hand side of the bike. The sensor is KT-D12L
I believe that it should be quite possible to fit the KT-D12R but I will need to switch to a 3 pin Higo connector

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
It comes in a kit based upon the disc being fitted on a square taper BB on the left hand side of the bike. The sensor is KT-D12L
I believe that it should be quite possible to fit the KT-D12R but I will need to switch to a 3 pin Higo connector
are you sure that you have Higo connectors?
Can you post some pictures?
Most of the kits use Julet or Bafang cable system.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
You just fit it on the other side by flipping the disc around. Wait until it is delivered and try the one you get. I was completely unaware there were two different references...

GASBAGSMike

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2017
Great Ayton
I doubt that it is that easy. One side of the disc is much more magnetised than the other. The sensor would detect it going backwards and the motor would not start

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I doubt that it is that easy. One side of the disc is much more magnetised than the other. The sensor would detect it going backwards and the motor would not start
Doubt all you will, it is in fact very easy, it just takes some trial and error. How many PAS disks have you mounted up till now?

GASBAGSMike

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2017
Great Ayton
I have mounted absolutely none!

However if I turn the disc around so that the magnetic side faces the sensor then it would look like the bike was going backwards. The sensor has to be less than 5mm from the disc so can only be mounted on the left of the disc. All the disc is doing is to provide 12 magnets and no intelligence is built into it.

I think that one way would be to cut the wire to the Higo connector and to change around the 3 wires.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Mike we are here to help you solve your PAS mounting problems. From what I have read you think you might have a problem when your kit arrives am I correct? We can't solve what has yet to happen...

A PAS disk can be mounted on the left or on the right, you just have to flip the disk over. Some even have arrows on to show you the way they should be turning! The only problem I have read in these pages is that people don't have enough space to fit the disk between the crank and the BB, none about fitting it the right way around.

I think that one way would be to cut the wire to the Higo connector and to change around the 3 wires.
No! You have + and ground and a signal wire, you can't change anything around.

GASBAGSMike

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2017
Great Ayton
Thanks for your reply. So I think that the only way is to buy a KT-D12R and to add on a 3-pin Higo connector if it is not possible to buy a KT-D12R with a Higo connector.

Please confirm.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It appears Mike is making a big issue out of this before even trying the kit when it arrives.
If the sensor disc works backwards when fitted you can flip the disc or push the magnets out and reinsert them to change there polarity or reverse the sensor 180 degrees to change sense direction. Some like that will even work both ways in forward or reverse, such as one KT D12 I have fitted from a kit.

• Agree
Reactions: anotherkiwi

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
He doesn't have it yet...

GASBAGSMike

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2017
Great Ayton
You are right that I don't yet have the kit but I want to be ready to install on my bike when it arrives. There seems to be something wrong with your answer though I am sure that you are trying to be helpful
1. If i can can take the magnets out and re-insert them then that is no different to flipping the whole disc
2. If I use the KT-D12L and pedal backward then the motor would start on the front wheel and would go forwards
3. I doubt that flipping the sensor would work as it must be within 5mm of the disc

Thanks though