Pas hollowtech

Davie8080

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 19, 2019
Hi all, new here to the ebike world. I bought a yose kit to get me back out again for commuting and get the fitness back up for the trails. Problem being I was away from home and bought it being sure my road bike didn't have a hollowtech bb. To find out it does I am a bit annoyed at myself for not checking before buying. Has any managed to find and fit one that has the same small orange (julet I think plug in) pas to get it up and running?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You can get a hollowtech pas or buy a standard one and carfully drill out the center with a hole saw or a dremmel.

Or try calling Woosh bikes as they may have one amongst the many miscellaneous items in stock but not listed.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
you can't use that KT-V12L, it's for square taper bottom bracket with a long spindle (68x122 or 73x127).
For the Hollowtech bottom bracket, get a normal right side PAS with 12 magnets, unscrew the right ballbearing, drop the sensor ring in then refit.
You need to drill a 50mm hole in your magnet disc. The hole needs to be big enough to avoid touching the ballbearing. Cabletie the disc to the smallest chain ring like this:

Davie8080

May 19, 2019
I'll look into that cheers woosh. Will the settings need to be changed in the controller since it will be running opposite way or because it's for the right hand side it's wired for the right rotation?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I haven't seen one yet that has the below type of connector. Or are they easy enough to replace the one that comes with it?
Buy the one from Ali express, I have never had an issue with them and if it fails to arrive you will get 100% refund or re - order.
The pins outs with Julets are standard and wire sequence are correct, the Julet is not for DIY fitting except you can cut and shut a Julet if it has along enough wire tail to allow for wire soldering and heat shrinking.

Reactions: jarob10

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If not using V12L change C1 setting to 00- 02 depending on the magnet count.
00/8 poles , 01/10 poles & 02/12 poles.

Davie8080

May 19, 2019
For now I have ordered the one from aliexpress and if that doesn't work I will try what woosh has suggested. Cheers for the help and I'll let yous know how I get on.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I haven't seen one yet that has the below type of connector. Or are they easy enough to replace the one that comes with it?
Cut the connector off and solder the wires directly. You'll never need to disconnect it, and even if you did, it's quicker to cut the wires than pull those connectors apart. The best connector is no connector if you want a reliable ebike. I would never leave exposed connectors on any ebike. Even the waterproof ones corrode when water gets in.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The best connector is no connector if you want a reliable ebike.
the 3-pin Julet connector is pretty good, a lot better waterproofed than the plastic shell of the PAS. If you open a PAS after a few months in use, you can see water seeping through the gap surrounding the LED and cable entry.
The left side pedal sensor is a bit better watertight, not because its casing is better, but because it is shielded by the crank.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For now I have ordered the one from aliexpress and if that doesn't work I will try what woosh has suggested. Cheers for the help and I'll let yous know how I get on.
Not forgetting that the disc is directional, if the pas work when you pedal backwards reverse the disc face.

Reactions: VillageIdiotDan

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Interesting stuff all...why don't they print a "this side facing out" on these things to take out the guess work?! :)
they do. One side has 'Working surface' and arrows.
However, it s usually worth knowing what to do if theory and reality differ.

VillageIdiotDan

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2019
they do. One side has 'Working surface' and arrows.
However, it s usually worth knowing what to do if theory and reality differ.
Ah, I couldn't see that, it's strapped to the bike now so like you say - well worth knowing what to do if theory and reality differ! :)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Interesting stuff all...why don't they print a "this side facing out" on these things to take out the guess work?! :)
Most do.
A few have fitted PAS whether correctly or not and mention it only works when back peddling so answer is to flip the disc or change the sensor orientation.
Also applies to fitting on the LHS which some prefer to do.

Davie8080

May 19, 2019
Well it doesn't look like the seller from aliexpress is sending the item because its timed out so I'll need to go down a different route. Does anyone know whether the magnet just operates with two wires or three?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
3 wires, 5V, ground and signal, hence the yellow 3-pin Julet plug.

Davie8080

May 19, 2019
Found another seller in Germany so might give that a try. Bit pricey for that plus shipping though.Screenshot_20190522-075629_Chrome.jpg