Help! Pedal assist doesn't work (but Walk assist works)

Demid Tishin

Just Joined
Mar 12, 2020
Hi folks, can anyone advise on a technical issue?

I have a pedal-assist Amladcykler trike with a brushless rear hub motor (36 V), which now ran approx. 4,500 km.
A couple of days ago I had to take the back wheel off to fix a puncture.
Yesterday the bike started to act weird.
The moment I start pushing the pedals, the display immediately jumps from showing the speed of 0 kmh to the speed of 80 kmh (please see attached picture) and assist doesn't kick in. When I ride, it constantly shows "80 kmh" and the motor doesn't work. Strangely, the "walk assist" function works correctly (steady movement on motor power only at approx. 5 kmh when long-pressing the "up" button on the display), but the display still shows 80 kmh.
- The wheel diameter is set up correctly (26'')
- I checked and dried the connector pins and connector socket where the back wheel connects to the controller.
- I checked the magnetic plate on the crank wheel and the sensor - they look OK to me, but I'm no expert. The red LED on the sensor flashes when I turn the crank forward.
- There is some damage to the rear wheel cable at the point where it enters the wheel but it has been like that for a long time. I may have disturbed it when reinstalling the back wheel.

Questions:
- What is most likely causing the problem? How do I narrow down the culprit?
- Could resetting the bike to factory settings help? If yes, how do I do that? I tried pressing various button combinations especially in the first two seconds after switching the LCD on, but to no effect. Pressing the "set" and "down" buttons as recommended in the troubleshooting guide (screenshot attached) doesn't show any error codes on the screen.

I contacted the seller but they simply told me to go through the guide and if the issue remains, buy a new sensor and a new LCD. But how do I know this will fix the problem? We really need this fixed as we use the trike every day to get our three kids around town.

Thanks a lot for any leads!

Attachments

Advertisers