Pedal Crank Noise Query

WALKERMAN

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2008
I have a Pedal Crank Noise Query.

When pedalling either my Lafree ST or my Pro Connect I get a squeeking sort of noise when applying downward pressure on the pedal cranks. It isn't a big problem for me just a bit of an irritation. Should I just oil it and hope it goes away?

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
This could be one of a few things.

1. Check the pedals are on tight, and rotate freely, it could be a pedal bearing.

2. Check any bolts connecting the chainring(s) to the crank are tight (this is the most common one).

3. Taking one crank arm in each hand, check for play agains the bottom bracket connection. If there is play, try tightening the crank arms, but be warned, often if the play has gone on long enough to allow wear then you need new cranks (and or bottom bracket)

4. Lifting the rear wheel off the ground and putting the bike in a low gear, pedal the cranks with your hand, both backwards and forwards, feeling for any grinding. This would usually indicate a worn bottom bracket, and would need replacing is its a sealed cartridge or new bearings if its a simple bearing cup.

Wattme?

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 8, 2011
This could be one of a few things.

1. Check the pedals are on tight, and rotate freely, it could be a pedal bearing.

2. Check any bolts connecting the chainring(s) to the crank are tight (this is the most common one).

3. Taking one crank arm in each hand, check for play agains the bottom bracket connection. If there is play, try tightening the crank arms, but be warned, often if the play has gone on long enough to allow wear then you need new cranks (and or bottom bracket)

4. Lifting the rear wheel off the ground and putting the bike in a low gear, pedal the cranks with your hand, both backwards and forwards, feeling for any grinding. This would usually indicate a worn bottom bracket, and would need replacing is its a sealed cartridge or new bearings if its a simple bearing cup.
Agree with the above, plus, to make life easier:

1. I'd oil the pedals.
2. Be careful with the chain ring fixings as it's easy to damage them, make sure you have exactly the right size tools and clean the fixing to get all the muck and grit off then make sure the tool seats sweet before applying force.
3. Hand pressure may not be enough to recreate the noise in your crank, try standing on the pedal, brakes on. If you think the crank(s) are lose there will be a fair chance that the crank will be marked as it seats against the bottom bracket. To get the crank sitting sweet, put a block of wood against the crank at the bottom bracket and try a few light taps with a hammer to drive the crank on to the bottom bracket (don't go wild with the hammer) then tighten the bolt.
4. If you think the bottom bracket is worn, turn the crank in line with the down tube (or the rear frame) and push/pull the crank while your fingers are in the gap between the crank and the tube, you will soon feel if there is any free play.
5. Bad one this, sorry. If all else fails, check to see if there are any cracks in the frame or more likley at the brazing's where the tubes join. If there are check your insurance policy.

Last edited:

Advertisers