Pedal tightness

Shycho

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 28, 2019
I only really noticed this for the first time today, and i'm not sure if it's simply a side effect of riding an ebike. But i've found my pedals are fighting a lot of resistance.

For example if I kick or wind my pedals by hand and then let the the front chain ring rotate backwareds freely, I get 0.75 of a rotation before they come to a stop. However on my non-ebike, and my wife's non-ebike you can spin the front pedals/chainring and get a good 2-3 rotations out of them, before they come to a stop.

Until now I just naturely assumed that using the bike unassisted required more effort because it is a good 10KG heavier than my non-ebike. However I'm now starting to wonder if something is overtightened somewhere.

For clarity (although my terminology is probably off) i'm talking about the rotation of the entire pedal system (pedal, arm, chain ring), not simply the spinning of the actual pedals which we attach ourselves upon delivery.

EDIT: I should have probably mentioned it's a wisper 905 SE crossbar, so has a rear hub motor.

Last edited:

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
I only really noticed this for the first time today, and i'm not sure if it's simply a side effect of riding an ebike. But i've found my pedals are fighting a lot of resistance.

For example if I kick or wind my pedals by hand and then let the the front chain ring rotate backwareds freely, I get 0.75 of a rotation before they come to a stop. However on my non-ebike, and my wife's non-ebike you can spin the front pedals/chainring and get a good 2-3 rotations out of them, before they come to a stop.

Until now I just naturely assumed that using the bike unassisted required more effort because it is a good 10KG heavier than my non-ebike. However I'm now starting to wonder if something is overtightened somewhere.

For clarity (although my terminology is probably off) i'm talking about the rotation of the entire pedal system (pedal, arm, chain ring), not simply the spinning of the actual pedals which we attach ourselves upon delivery.
Depends I think on it you have a hub or centre drive motor, also the bearings on the bottom bracket, well greased and adjusted.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
There are two many different variables to consider. If you take a range of non-electric bikes, you'll get a range of results.

Maybe if you tell us which bike you have we can make more soecific comments.

Shycho

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 28, 2019
There are two many different variables to consider. If you take a range of non-electric bikes, you'll get a range of results.

Maybe if you tell us which bike you have we can make more soecific comments.
Sorry just edited my original post as you were typing. It is a Wisper 905 SE crossbar, so has a rear hub motor.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Put some oil on the chain and the derailleur jockey wheels, then test again. I don't think you have anything to worry about. some bikes have a bit more resistance in the freewheel/cassette than others. If you want to be really sure, flip the chain off the chainwheel and spin the cranks to see if there's any resistance there.

Advertisers