Pedalling, cadence, gears and assist levels

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
For years I've been in the habit of pushing a big gear slowly, using the 21 gears as needed, rather than regular cadence and using the gears that way. I have read a little on cadence pedalling but never really learned it.
So now I have 7speed rear block,3, 5 or 9 assist levels, currently 5, Bbs01. Also understand the motor is best spinning fast.

So what's the craic? How do you use the system to best effect.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You have a power band in each gear. Pedal too slow and you get high torque, but low efficiency, which is bad for the motor. At normal pedal speed, you get good efficiency and power, and if you pedal too fast, you go past the peak power, so there is less or no power. 60-75 rpm is good.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and Bikes4two

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
Yesterday I tried keeping the cadence up, using the gears and assist levels, currently 5. Am going to experiment with 9. what are others thoughts on number of assist levels?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Yesterday I tried keeping the cadence up, using the gears and assist levels, currently 5. Am going to experiment with 9. what are others thoughts on number of assist levels?
It will be interesting to see how you get on with 9.

Our solo has 4 (Bosch) and the tandem 5 (Woosh XF07); the 5 works better than the 4 for me. We try to keep pretty low most of the time in both; we were mostly riding at 2/tour, now mainly at 1/eco to keep a bit fitter. I think with 9 levels there might be too much temptation to keep tweaking rather than enjoying the ride. Even so, we relish the use of the higher levels for some hills.

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
just tried 9 levels on a 14 mile ride, mix of hills, road and canal towpath. I tried to use the 9 to economise on power needed, with some success and without too much fiddling. Same as using the old front changer really. I'll try it for a bit longer.

Just ordered a new freewheel and sprockets, currently 7 x 34/12, getting a 7 x 34/11 for slightly higher top speed when pedalling without assist. The bafang chainring is a bit smaller than my old top chainring.