Pedestrian Crossing madness

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Here am I riding sensibly, not sneaking up the inside cos theres loads a kids about (3.00 pm) A bit wobbly cos my feet are clipped in, And the car in front is a bit slow away, so the car behind...... well see for your self!

stevieb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
that behaviour really annoys me especially when kids about.
overtaking whilst there is oncoming traffic and on the zig zags
i sometimes wear a camera and its amazing what you capture.

pdarnett

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 5, 2013
Bradford
www.mybigdaydj.co.uk
That's probably one of the busiest roundabouts in West Yorkshire. I ride in Bradford city centre each day and each day I'm constantly surprised by the level of recklessness.

D

Deleted member 4366

Can you read his registration number on your original video? If so, give a copy to the police. They will certainly prosecute the driver. It's totally illegal to overtake on those zig-zag lines. They might even go for Dangerous driving, for which the driver would most likely get a ban.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Can you read his registration number on your original video? If so, give a copy to the police. They will certainly prosecute the driver. It's totally illegal to overtake on those zig-zag lines. They might even go for Dangerous driving, for which the driver would most likely get a ban.
Yes, quite clearly.. In fact they startled me by that maneuver as I wasn't expecting it and thought they were right behind me. I was watching the droves of kids walking down the road as they have a tendency to run across between the cars, and not looking in my trusty helmet mirror...

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I know a police officer and wondered about sending him the link, but I wonder about repercussions, My missus would be well pissed if some irate driver came knocking on my door.. Can you be traced from your youtube uploads?

D

Deleted member 4366

Give the Police a copy on a CD with a written statement. Then you won't be traced.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
E
Give the Police a copy on a CD with a written statement. Then you won't be traced.
But you need to sign the statement and provide contact details so that you can be traced as a witness and called to court if required.

If sent in anonymously, the most that the police can do is speak to the registered keeper under caution and ask them if they were the driver and if they committed the offences shown in the video clip. If they say no, or decide not to answer the question, it will go no further. For the investigation to proceed past this point it requires a witness who is prepared to say that on dd at hh I saw and recorded what can be seen on the clip.

But better to send it to the police anonymously than to do nothing.

Last edited:

drsolly

Pedelecer
Jan 21, 2014
Definitely put in a report. You could save a life.

D

Deleted member 4366

E

But you need to sign the statement and provide contact details so that you can be traced as a witness and called to court if required.

If sent in anonymously, the most that the police can do is speak to the registered keeper under caution and ask them if they were the driver and if they committed the offences shown in the video clip. If they say no, or decide not to answer the question, it will go no further. For the investigation to proceed past this point it requires a witness who is prepared to say that on dd at hh I saw and recorded what can be seen on the clip.

But better to send it to the police anonymously than to do nothing.
That's true, but the police aren't going to come and break your windows, are they?

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
That's true, but the police aren't going to come and break your windows, are they?
No, but the car driver might do if you give the police a statement. As you suggest in your previous post.

D

Deleted member 4366

How will the driver know where you live? The Police are not going to tell him.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
How will the driver know where you live? The Police are not going to tell him.
If the driver pleads not guilty, the defence will want sight of the statement and in likelihood want to cross examine the witness. It's inevitable that at least the witness's full name will become known to the driver under these circumstances and it's not difficult to find someone's address from their full name.

As I said previously, if the OP wants to report this, but at the same time keep some distance between himself and the driver, the best thing to do is just send the video clip in to the police anonymously. Writing a statement, as you suggested, exposes him to the risk of the car driver discovering his full identity. This May or may not be an issue for the OP, but it's important that they are not mislead into a course of action which they later regret.

D

Deleted member 4366

The police nor courts give out your name and address to the accused.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
The police nor courts give out your name and address to the accused.
I didn't say that they did give out your name and address. I said that your name will be disclosed to the defence, which it will be if you make a statement and the case goes to court.

From the Crown Prosecution Service website:

The openness of judicial proceedings is a fundamental principle enshrined in Article 6(1) of the European Convention on Human Rights (the right to a fair trial). This underpins the requirement for a prosecution witness to be identifiable not only to the defendant, but also to the open court. It supports the ability of the defendant to present his case and to test the prosecution case by cross-examination of prosecution witnesses.

Under certain circumstances, it is possible to give evidence anonymously, but this isn't one of them.

Please now stop misleading people.

And, stop misquoting me for your own weird titillation.

Last edited:

drsolly

Pedelecer
Jan 21, 2014
Even if he only reports it anonymously, together with a DVD of the incident and the number plate of the car, surely the police would at least go talk to the driver and maybe give him "words of advice", which might make him drive more sanely for a while.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Even if he only reports it anonymously, together with a DVD of the incident and the number plate of the car, surely the police would at least go talk to the driver and maybe give him "words of advice", which might make him drive more sanely for a while.
Totally agree, its better to send it in anonymously than to sit on it and do nothing. The police will most likely interview the registered keeper under caution. If they are lucky and he admits the offence, they will prosecute. If he doesn't speak or denies driving, it will go nowhere without a witness.