Pedestrian dies after being hit by cyclist.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A 73yr old woman pedestrian has died after being hit by a cyclist in London, the incident happened on Tuesday around 16.30pm in Oxford Street. The rider stopped at the scene and no arrests have been made, police are appealing for witnesses.
Cyclists need to be more vigilant out on the road esp when pedestrians come in to the mix, sadly exploits like the ones SW posts doesn't help the cyclist's cause whether pedal bike or ebike.

Last edited:

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
One very important point for consideration is that overall e-MTB's (Electric Mountain Bikes and ebikes in general) actually bring about many safety advantages due to their differing riding style when compared to regular bikes. That riding style is achieved through the motor support and weight.

Often strong, fast, regular bike riding brings about an inevitable fatigue that decreases spatial awareness of the riders surroundings, after a time. Lots of 'head down' or 'up off the seat' riding effort eventually brings about a tunnel vision effect. This is particularly the case when continually attempting to gain speed for an oncoming uphill gradient. Or, when carrying your hard earned speed acquired through a blind bend.

With ebikes, gaining or losing speed is no longer an issue. Rider reaction is improved through no loss of physical fatigue or overly strenuous riding to gain that speed or to achieve uphill range. No speed or gradient penalties are gained through stop, start braking and acceleration. Fitness isn't an issue. So reading the road further ahead becomes possible and, after a while, second nature. There's no wobble effect brought about by slow uphill struggles either, and therefore spatial awareness is enhanced.

There's also no longer a need to take the most linear, easiest path of least resistance. You can take the harder path without risk. All these positive ebiking attributes generally make ebiking a much safer experience all round.

Just saying.. :)

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
All these positive ebiking attributes generally make ebiking a much safer experience all round.
Your not wrong but we all get tard with the same brush as SW
Just like my motorcycleing days in the 80's, my regular watering hole had a " no leather jackets " policy, we were only served if we walked to the pub or went by car. No logic to the policy, same people drinking the same beer just different clothes ?

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: flecc and LeighPing

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
You're not wrong but we all get tarred with the same brush as SW
He's too intelligent for jail. :rolleyes:

To be fair to SW, It seems to me that he's more interested in the tech side of ebiking electronics than seemingly going full tilt for a short video. Most of his rides skulk around canal paths, at night, or in woodland. His bike, however, is well serviced and clearly well looked after.

Now, if a racing bike were flying around at breakneck speed, people would only take issue with the rider and not the type of bike. Just the same as people only seeing your leather jackets. It pigeon holes you into being something that you're not. That pigeon holing makes for a far better story, and headline, and an obvious assumption of prejudice.

Most prejudicial assumptions are generally incorrect and improper. The Bulldog Bash Bike show is full of genuine enthusiasts. Over 50k attended in 2007. Unfortunately, the occasional murder tends to let it down a lot. :oops:

Inevitably, bad news draws more headlines than good news does. The good news is that ebikes are generally a quite safe mode of cycling. It's a boring headline, but it's a better option than a camel-toe quip. :D

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Wow, one assumes he may have hit his head then or something quite dramatic.

• Agree
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Wow, one assumes he may have hit his head then or something quite dramatic.
I can't find any more details. Deadly head injury seems the most likely scenario, or extreme impact forces rendering some other vital organ(s) inactive. Only 30 years old...

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The report indicates the women suffered minor injuries so I'm guessing the impact wasn't too bad initially but it is the after impact events, it is maybe where he has contacted something causing a fatal injury.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
yet the last guy that crashed in to me when i come to a complete stop was on a fkn race bike with drop bars on upside down and had to drag his ass out the ditch and call a ambience his front wheel was toast and he was 73 in shorts and flip flops pmsl.

and these days there are way more bikes scooters and skateboards that can go as fast or faster than me it all comes down to range and stopping power my brake levers are like buttons and a couple of ppl that i have let have a go on it have nearly go over the bars as everything on my bike is tuned to how i like to ride so my bike would be like marmite buy the way it handles and brakes round corners and down hill.

i also use clipless peddles so the bike is part of me and crashing in to human beings is to expensive on my bike the crank arms and peddles cost £530 lol.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

:p

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
By law, a battlebot should zoom ahead, clearing pedestrians out of the way of law abiding pedelecers IMHO

I'm beting that the ebiker wasn't wearing a helmet. I guess we'll never know because even the Beeb are short of details. Hoping the woman didn't kick him to death.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
;)

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Must be a nightmare rebuilding their bots after every battle.... it's so much better than the UK show I saw a few years ago.

E

Erin0110

A 73yr old woman pedestrian has died after being hit by a cyclist in London, the incident happened on Tuesday around 16.30pm in Oxford Street. The rider stopped at the scene and no arrests have been made, police are appealing for witnesses.
Cyclists need to be more vigilant out on the road esp when pedestrians come in to the mix, sadly exploits like the ones SW posts doesn't help the cyclist's cause whether pedal bike or ebike.
Oh my god, such an awful situation

Advertisers