Pendleton Somerby pedelec - magnets

tc1967uk

Just Joined
Sep 9, 2020
Hi

This is my 1st post, so sorry if this is the wrong forum. I have a Pendleton Somerby pedelec bought from Halfords.

I was messing around with the magnets on the disc near the sensor - 1st time I removed every second one, and that just slowed it down. The 2nd test I moved a magnet onto the pedal and moved the sensor near to that, but that gave me no power at all.

Does anyone know if adding more magnets to the disk would speed the bike up, or anything else that would help for this model?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The speed is set in the programming of the controller pcb, playing with magnets won't increase speed.

tc1967uk

Just Joined
Sep 9, 2020
The speed is set in the programming of the controller pcb, playing with magnets won't increase speed.
Thanks for the answer. Does that mean the only way to increase the speed is via to buy extra hardware?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Thanks for the answer. Does that mean the only way to increase the speed is via to buy extra hardware?
Electric motors are a bit weird. they have a speed above which they won't go. Your motor might be able to go a bit faster when unrestricted, but probably not that much.

You would need to replace the controller to release your speed limit. That costs about £40 for a Brainpower one with LCD, then you need to do a bit of wiring and probably some soldering of the connectors.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
With a different controller & display, you may get an extra 1 mph or 3 or 4 mph however it will depend on the motor and its rpm output (winding speed).
As vfr has mentioned be prepared for some wiring alterations/soldering.

tc1967uk

Just Joined
Sep 9, 2020
With a different controller & display, you may get an extra 1 mph or 3 or 4 mph however it will depend on the motor and its rpm output (winding speed).
As vfr has mentioned be prepared for some wiring alterations/soldering.
Wow, so even if I fork out £40, I may only get an extra -14mph out of it?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Wow, so even if I fork out £40, I may only get an extra -14mph out of it?
Certainly not 14mph. Somewhere around 1mph to 4mph (as Nealh says). Not sure if you misread his post or had a typo in yours.

With the brakes it has you probably shouldn't go much faster anyway.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You normally get assistance to around 20 mph, but power will ramp down from 15 mph, which gives a speed of about 18mph on the road.

tc1967uk

Just Joined
Sep 9, 2020
Certainly not 14mph. Somewhere around 1mph to 4mph (as Nealh says). Not sure if you misread his post or had a typo in yours.

With the brakes it has you probably shouldn't go much faster anyway.
Sorry, I mis-typed. I won't bother then, as £40 for a possible 1mph isn't worth it. Thanks for all your help, folks.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Pedelecs are as in the name pedal assist bikes and not speed bikes or mopeds, they are designed for getting folks about with assistance for which they excel more on hills. If one want's speed then pedal a bit harder or buy a very light touring bike.

Reactions: Gringo

Advertisers