Pendleton somerby v raleigh spirit

Allyjr

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2019
Hi, thanks for letting me join. I am looking to buy a step through classic style e bike and like the look of Pendleton somerby (I have a normal Pendleton somerby and love it), and also like the look of juicy bikes and Raleigh spirit too.
Could you advise me which would be the best please, though budget is also a factor to consider too.
Thank you for your help

Reactions: Eagleowl

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Have a look at the Woosh step-through bikes and see if any looks as if it might suit. http://wooshbikes.co.uk/
There is quite a range, depending on you size, budget and how you might use the bike. Good customer service.

If you want to go any distance you may find the battery on the Somerby quite restrictive. Battery is one of the most expensive components on an e-bike. Should be find for tootling around a flat town.

Reactions: Eagleowl and Allyjr

Allyjr

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2019
Thanks, I haven't heard of those. Will take a look.
I don't think I will ride more than 5 or 6 miles a time, due to health problems, but will need it to manage steep hills as live in Yorkshire and rather hilly.
Thanks for your help

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Allyjr

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2019
Thanks I will have a look for mid drive bikes and at the links too. That's a great help. Thanks

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hold on, I think we need to clarify a point. It's not as simple as crank drive motors being better for hills. There are several factors you need to consider, which are more fundamental.

You can divide all electric bikes into two categories. There are those that give the amount of power you select from a control panel, which is constant, regardless of how hard you pedal; and there are those that use power multiplication, which give power in proportion to how hard you pedal. It's very important that you understand that difference.

You say that you have health problems. If that means that you can't pedal very hard or your legs get tired so that you can't pedal at all, you could end up stranded if you have the second category.

You can get both types of drive (crank and hub) in each category, though there are more hub motors in category 1 and more crank motors in category 2. The Bosch motors are in category 2, Juicy can be either, depending on which model, but probably category 1, and the Pendelton is in category 1. I'm not sure about the Raleigh. You'll have to ask if you think it's important for you.

If you would tell us your weight and details of your impairment, we could make a better judgement about suitability of different bikes.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hi, thanks for letting me join. I am looking to buy a step through classic style e bike and like the look of Pendleton somerby (I have a normal Pendleton somerby and love it), and also like the look of juicy bikes and Raleigh spirit too.
Could you advise me which would be the best please, though budget is also a factor to consider too.
Thank you for your help
take a look at my Santana CD. It has a crank drive motor, 9-speed gears with automatic gear shift sensor, choice of 13AH, 15AH or 17AH battery, hydraulic brakes, suspension fork etc. Really nice and powerful with throttle. Perfectly suited for your health condition.

Allyjr

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2019
I wonder if thats why the electric bike ive borrowed sort of cuts out, up hills? l have a number of conditions which make me feel like ive flu and am exhausted. This makes it difficult to walk and cycling (with an electric bike) has proven easier than walking. I weigh 12 stones at present. Sadly!

Thank you, I will take a look at your bike. Do you find it helps with your fitness?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I wonder if thats why the electric bike ive borrowed sort of cuts out, up hills? l have a number of conditions which make me feel like ive flu and am exhausted. This makes it difficult to walk and cycling (with an electric bike) has proven easier than walking. I weigh 12 stones at present. Sadly!

Thank you, I will take a look at your bike. Do you find it helps with your fitness?
In that case then you need a cadence sensoe drive bike either hub or crank motor which is the group that VFR spoke of all of Woosh bikes are cadence drive and possibly one with a throttle for when you get to tired.
Other drive type is a torque sensor drive and multiplies the effort you can put in, these are in the main crank motors like Bosch, Yamaha, Shimano and a few others.

Allyjr

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2019
In that case then you need a cadence sensoe drive bike either hub or crank motor which is the group that VFR spoke of all of Woosh bikes are cadence drive and possibly one with a throttle for when you get to tired.
Other drive type is a torque sensor drive and multiplies the effort you can put in, these are in the main crank motors like Bosch, Yamaha, Shimano and a few others.
Thanks, I will take a look at them. Appreciate your help.

thirteen

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
West Sussex
Mrs 13 has had a Pendleton Somerby e bike for just over a year.

She's gone from cycling zero miles in the last decade on her regular bike to regular 30 mile rides almost straight away on the Somerby.

It climbs hills just fine, and hardly ever drops more than one bar on the battery range display, even after 30+ miles.

The brakes have needed adjusting after bedding in. Likewise the gear indexing.

Other than that it's been absolutely flawless and definitely a brilliant purchase.

Allyjr

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2019
Thanks, so much, for letting me know. I adore my Pendleton somerby and really wanted one the same. Hadnt seen anything kn the forum so this is really helpful.
I will test ride it as soon as I can. Have just missed £100 off but will hang on, I'm sure there will be more offers soon.
What colour did you get?

Thanks again

Ally

thirteen

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
West Sussex
Mrs 13's is white and blue.

Halfords do some odd, crazy discounts from time to time.

The one in my local Halfords is ticketed at £1020, and I remember paying around £650 in early April 2018.

Allyjr

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2019
Thats the colour im thinking of. I agree. The discounts are good. I am having to hold back ordering it now lol
Thanks again

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Join British cycling membership about £25 then you can get 10% off bikes at Halfrauds.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
On a £750 bike once you have paid the membership the total saving on a bike is about £50, in the bigger picture of things not a lot but a saving is a saving if on a budget.