Petrigo Commuter 1 year in, what next?

Speedway

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 29, 2021
Hi all, new here....
It's my first year ebiking, bought a Petrigo Commuter, been very happy with it overall, however, I feel the need for a bit more speed.
I have been trying to find out more info on this bikes electrical capabilities, but information seems very scarce. It has a 350w rear hub motor, an integrated battery, and I assume the controller is also integrated somewhere, and the screen is not like a phone screen, but it is a screen, with a power on/off button and an assist level button (3 levels) and it has a throttle. It's restricted to 15.5mph and has a 36v battery, and 7 speed rear derailleur.
Does anyone out there have one of these bikes, had one of these bikes, or know if there is a way to increase the mph, even another 5mph would be beneficial when cycling in traffic..
Thanks for any assistance/ideas in advance.
Cheers
Speedway...

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Show a photo so we can identify what you have. It's all standard stuff.

Is this it?

Last edited:

Speedway

Aug 29, 2021
Show a photo so we can identify what you have. It's all standard stuff.

Is this it?
Hi, thanks for response.. I will photo it in the morning before I pedalec off to work!
Cheers
Speedway..

Speedway

Aug 29, 2021
Hi, thanks for response.. I will photo it in the morning before I pedalec off to work!
Cheers
Speedway..
Yes, just had a look at your pic above, that looks just like it, mono shock front suspension, rack on back.. Its been a great bike, never let me down, a couple of times caught out in awful torrential rain to and from work, never missed a beat, but oh for that extra 4 to 5 mph... The only difference is it has 350watt motor, stamped on hub... and a throttle..

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Some other e-bikes that use that same display have various ways of cracking the speed limit: These may work for you or maybe not:

First method:
Hold the front and rear brakes at the same time, twist the throttle to maximum, then turn on the display meter. Wait for the screen to flash E004 over 4 times, then release brakes and throttle. Switch off/on again to save.

Second method:
Hold both display buttons down together until P settings appear. P2 is (should be) wheel size, P3 is (should be) max speed. Try increasing P3. If that doesn't work, lower instead P2 to fool the controller into thinking the bike has smaller wheels; in this case MPH and ODO will be wrong, but the bike may go faster. Your P settings may be different and/or restricted.

Whatever you try, sometimes the motor just hasn't got too much more to give; it depends on the windings.

Speedway

Aug 29, 2021
I can confirm neither the 2 methods above work, no change on display whatsoever
Thanks for the suggestions... Any others anyone can think of....?
Cheers
Speedway.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Find the controller and see if there's a single-strand looped wire coming out of it - or two single wires not connected. If the two ends of the looped wire are connected, disconnect. Or if there's two open ended wires with mating connectors, connect to form a loop.

Beyond that, you may need to change/upgrade the controller/display to get one that's not firmware locked.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Probably behind the battery in the downtube.

When trying any of these hacks, make sure your battery is fully charged (yours is 3/4). Several have tried proven hacks and don't notice any difference because battery voltage is lower than maximum and with their motor the increase is in any case minimal and so even harder to notice. EG: On my hacked folding bike, with full voltage I get a no-load speed of 20mph. With a 1/2 - 3/4 battery, that no-load speed is 17mph.

Speedway

Aug 29, 2021
Must be a false bottom behind the battery, will have a look when I get home, don't have the battery key with me... Will having the key in make any difference? Looks like it just unlocks the battery to me......?

Speedway

Aug 29, 2021
Right, well, the controller is situated right down the bottom of the downtube below the base of the battery lock plinth.... cannot see much, don't quite know how they got it in there! Not confident I could get it out, no play in wires so everything needs to be disconnected below the controller.. I can see a bunch of wires, red, blue, another colour and a white one.. That's about it... The controller box is about the size of a king size box of fags, maybe a tad thinner....

Speedway

Aug 29, 2021
This is the image of the bottom of the display screen, can't find any info with this either.... Is this accessible like the more "smartphone" type ebike display? I have seen it on a couple of Xiaomi bikes, but not able to ID it...

Attachments

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
That display is used on a number of Chinese models: For example, Fiido use it on four different e-bikes. Each display is programmed differently to work with a different controller, so none are interchangeable.

If none of the hacks work (there may be others I haven't heard of), the P settings/ programmable menu has been disabled as you suggest, and you still want to make your bike go faster, you'll have to find a way to remove the controller and replace both it and the display as a pair. The controller went in, so it must come out.

If you post a picture of the controller with wiring clearly shown, others here should be able to suggest options.