Pimp My Ride

S

stokepa31

Hi All

I was reading Frank's post earlier about doing some touring with his wife and I started to think about doing the same when I get my new pro-connect.

If you were going to customise your bike for long distances what would you choose to do to it.

These are my ideas:

1. Change out the front forks for carbon
2. Change Seat post to carbon and fit lighter seat
3. Change handlebars to carbon
4. Change brake shoes to carbon
5. lose a few more pounds in weight myself :)
6. fit another battery somehow - although this might be counter productive on weight!
7. fit carbon rack if they exist!

I wonder if that would make a huge difference to performance! would certainly put a fair sized dent in my wallet:)

What would you do??? This is not limited to weight saving. go on, unchain your brain and pimp my ride:)

Regards
Paul

Last edited by a moderator:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There would be very little saving on bike weight, and expressed as a percentage of the total weight of you and bike it would be negligible. The only effect that would really be noticeable would be on the wallet.

Instead of paying all that much to save that weight, you could be paid to save it.

How? Number 5, just eat less! :D

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
More seriously, I think I'd concentrate on the aspects of making the ride more pleasant and comfortable when long distances are to be ridden.

Things like the saddle, is it ideal at present?

Riding position. Is it worth investigating adding stub bars or a handle bar type change to give alternative positions? With two positions for the hands to rest the body, a throttle lock might be needed to hold a power setting for long stretches of road.

Drinks on board. Having an ideal container for use while cycling can be useful.

Quickly accessible storage for "energy boosters", chocolate, banana, energy snack bars.

Items you need to have with you, and the best top bag, bar bag or panniers for those.

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
More seriously, I think I'd concentrate on the aspects of making the ride more pleasant and comfortable when long distances are to be ridden.
a throttle lock might be needed to hold a power setting for long stretches of road.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

"a throttle lock" rather then use makeshift things can we get these throttle locks for Quando's ?:)

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
With two positions for the hands to rest the body, a throttle lock might be needed to hold a power setting for long stretches of road.

Hopefully a throttle stop is not need on the pro connect. Something I am really looking forward to is not holding a throttle open on the next bike. Why is it that I never noticed it on a motorbike ridden for over 4 hours but on the Torq it makes my whole hand ache after 20 minutes.

The pro-connect looks pretty perfect for touring. I have no experience of what carbon fibre does to a bicycle by I have heard that it is even less absorbant than alloy forks (in the same way that alloys are less absorbant than steel forks) but I could be wrong. Maybe you could be our guinea pig if you have loads of money - find the best bits that work and let us know.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hopefully a throttle stop is not need on the pro connect.

Maybe you could be our guinea pig if you have loads of money - find the best bits that work and let us know.
Of course :) , it wasn't appropriate for the Pro Connect, I always tend to post in general terms, in this case on distance e-bike riding.

I think I've had enough of being a guinea pig for quite a while with the current all weather riding daily, due to continue until about July, that following the previous Agattu test in less than ideal conditions. I'm looking forward to doing less cycling :)eek: heresy) in the second half of this year.

Keith, unfortunately there's no proprietary item, one would have to be made for your throttle.

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
Keith, unfortunately there's no proprietary item, one would have to be made for your throttle.
.[/QUOTE]

------------------------------------------------------------------------

somehow figured that may be the answer, i will have to think hard about the right idea, i already have at least half a dozen times gone through the shop window or me mums front door, you know how it is, you ride up to the door, get off your bike, wheel it through,lift it up to turn it round and slightly twist the left grip, (and of course i have no routine where i turn off as soon as get off as often use bit of power to get up step)and of course you guessed it as soon as i twist the left grip the bike looks like damen has possessed it, only my grip almost rigamortis setting in keeps the bike out of the window...but CLOSE !!!:eek:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've done similar many times Keith, it's such a powerful bike. Bucking broncos have nothing on a Quando! :D

It punched a hole in a cupboard door in my place. :eek:

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
but they so fun you have to think of them like young kids.....its not there fault...:D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
but they so fun you have to think of them like young kids.....its not there fault...:D
Very true, never a dull moment with these bikes. eZee's first model, and still in many ways the best.

S

stokepa31

I dont have loads of money (the local nursery sees to that:mad: ) but I do hope to make upgrades over time. I like the idea of stub handles a lot. I will start saving my pennies now and see whats what when the bike arrives. Should be a good way of learning my way around the bike.

Paul

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
Of course :) , it wasn't appropriate for the Pro Connect, I always tend to post in general terms, in this case on distance e-bike riding.

I think I've had enough of being a guinea pig for quite a while with the current all weather riding daily, due to continue until about July, that following the previous Agattu test in less than ideal conditions. I'm looking forward to doing less cycling :)eek: heresy) in the second half of this year.

Sorry Flecc it wasn't clear as I didn't want you to be the guinea pig, more Paul and his Pro-connect. I know you have done so much and still with this ongoing mysterious project ... you don't want embark on anything else.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Sorry Flecc it wasn't clear as I didn't want you to be the guinea pig, more Paul and his Pro-connect. I know you have done so much and still with this ongoing mysterious project ... you don't want embark on anything else.
It was the reference to plenty of money that threw me Hal, since I had expressed an interest in the Pro Connect and buying one would be no problem.

S

stokepa31

If I owned an ebike operation and my bike was good, the first thing i'd do would be to give one to Flecc gratis. It would be worth it for the PR and the chance to have it properly tested out to resolve issues. Your review will have sold tons of Kalkoff's. I bet golden balls does'nt pay for boots so Flecc should'nt pay for bikes. Perhaps we should start calling you golden rims :)

Paul

Reactions: mike killay

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
Very true, never a dull moment with these bikes. eZee's first model, and still in many ways the best.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
unless i talk about perfection and dream i know this is the best folding bike going, light enough to pop in car boot, on train and soon bus when carry bag made,if there is one thing i could do to alter it would be the stand, i had it in the back of g/f's car one day, she turned this sharp bend and the bike rocked to a side and off the stand, could have been nasty as chain wheel hits the deck......i thought the only safe way for in the car was to strap it to the back seats but that doesnt account for trains or buses without having to stand and hold it,HOWEVER i have just looked again and there is enough angle to tie a chord from that angle in the frame just above where the pedal spindle is, and tie it to the bottom legs of stand and it will hold firm....have you got a patented thingy made for this Flecc of am i going to have to do my usual diy bodge :eek:

bersh

Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2007
the rising quando

] On three occasions I forgot to turn off my Quando and missed hitting office workers, office partitions and pedestrians...It was amazing that I didn't get hurt, didn't cripple the not so easy Ezee, and kept some of my dignity in tact------------------------------------------------------------------------
but they so fun you have to think of them like young kids.....its not there fault...:D[/QUOTE]

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
i have just looked again and there is enough angle to tie a chord from that angle in the frame just above where the pedal spindle is, and tie it to the bottom legs of stand and it will hold firm....have you got a patented thingy made for this Flecc of am i going to have to do my usual diy bodge :eek:
No, I only carry mine in the car, and there I use a large foam sheet on the side to hold it still against the rear door

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
] On three occasions I forgot to turn off my Quando and missed hitting office workers, office partitions and pedestrians...It was amazing that I didn't get hurt, didn't cripple the not so easy Ezee, and kept some of my dignity intact
It seems all Quando owners experience this. We had one new member who bought one, and for safety wheeled it into the local park to try it out before going on the road. She hopped on, opened the throttle, crashed into the park gates and ended up in a heap on the ground. :D

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
Hi All

I was reading Frank's post earlier about doing some touring with his wife and I started to think about doing the same when I get my new pro-connect.

If you were going to customise your bike for long distances what would you choose to do to it.

These are my ideas:

1. Change out the front forks for carbon
2. Change Seat post to carbon and fit lighter seat
3. Change handlebars to carbon
4. Change brake shoes to carbon
5. lose a few more pounds in weight myself :)
6. fit another battery somehow - although this might be counter productive on weight!
7. fit carbon rack if they exist!

I wonder if that would make a huge difference to performance! would certainly put a fair sized dent in my wallet:)

What would you do??? This is not limited to weight saving. go on, unchain your brain and pimp my ride:)

Regards
Paul

Are you getting a Pro-Connect & also keeping your Torq stokepa31, or are 50cycles swapping it for you ?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If I owned an ebike operation and my bike was good, the first thing i'd do would be to give one to Flecc gratis. It would be worth it for the PR and the chance to have it properly tested out to resolve issues. Your review will have sold tons of Kalkoff's. I bet golden balls does'nt pay for boots so Flecc should'nt pay for bikes. Perhaps we should start calling you golden rims :)

Paul
When this was raised before Paul, I said I would refuse any bike as a gift, and that still holds true.

In fact I've been offered a very large discount in one case but turned it down, saying I'd pay the full price if the time came when I wanted the bike in question.

You can guess why. :)