playing dvd and recording vcr through a skybox

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
Well, I've gone and done the deed.. sold my soul to the devil's remote and bought freesat from Sky. Spent the first night flicking through most of East Africa's cable output..

All's well except I can't play dvds on the player or play/record Freesat on VHS recorder (remember those?) .The 12 year old who came round to install said he'd done it but it's a mystery to me..

At the moment we have a scart cable running from the TV to the sat box and another running from the sat box to the dvd. The Vid recorder is plugged into the aerial cables and TV (but no scart- clearly not right!)
When I flick through av1/2/3 /4 on the telly with the dvd running, nothing happens..

Can anyone help??
Still waiting for sky to get back..

BW
musicbooks

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
Well, I've gone and done the deed.. sold my soul to the devil's remote and bought freesat from Sky. Spent the first night flicking through most of East Africa's cable output..

All's well except I can't play dvds on the player or play/record Freesat on VHS recorder (remember those?) .The 12 year old who came round to install said he'd done it but it's a mystery to me..

At the moment we have a scart cable running from the TV to the sat box and another running from the sat box to the dvd. The Vid recorder is plugged into the aerial cables and TV (but no scart- clearly not right!)
When I flick through av1/2/3 /4 on the telly with the dvd running, nothing happens..

Can anyone help??

BW
musicbooks
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

so you rode your electric bike to the shop, did the business and then rode your electric bike back again,negotiating the hills effortlessly due to the electic assist you recieved from your electric bike...and now you are hoping to watch some electric bike racing on your new purchase....:rolleyes:

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

so you rode your electric bike to the shop, did the business and then rode your electric bike back again,negotiating the hills effortlessly due to the electic assist you recieved from your electric bike...and now you are hoping to watch some electric bike racing on your new purchase....:rolleyes:
Indeed I am Keith, but first I have to get through 6 hours of birthday pressie from grandparents of Dora the Explorer DVDs with my daughter.. (present for the bairn..not me I hasten to add)..
otherwise the purchase has been in vain..despite 24hrs of cbeebees..

HELP:eek: :eek: :eek:

bw
musicbooks

Footie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2007
Cornwall. PL27
Sounds like you may need a switch box.
I've had to put in a switch box in my set-up (freeview) because the DVD and Freeview interfere with each other.
Also my TV only has one scart socket.
Freeview box has two scarts - one to the TV (via the switch box) and one to the VCR.
Setting the freeview on a channel and then setting the video recorder to AV allows me to record the freeview channel.
The scart from the DVD goes to the TV (via the switch box).
So depending on if I want to watch freeview or DVD I just toggle the switch box.
If I want to watch the video I just make sure its on the TV setting with the freeview off - the video then takes over the TV.

Is that any help :confused: :confused:

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
Hi Musicbooks
If you have an extra scart in your TV you could run a lead to your VCR and toggle it through the normal way to the VCR channel.
When setting up they won't supply the extra cables so they wouldn't give you that option :(
Footies option is good and both will cost you but worth it in the end ;)
Regards

fcurran

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2007
Bath
www.powabyke.com

Can anyone help??

BW
musicbooks

Hi Tom,

Can I suggest you call Moss of Bath and ask for Matthew. He's a friend of mine. Just say I suggested you spoke to him.

01225 331441

Regards

FrankC

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
Thanks for the advice Folks,
It still sounds rather complicated :eek:

Frank, I'll give your man from Moss a ring. Cheers

BW
Tom
musicbooks

Caph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 29, 2008
Nottingham, UK
musicbooks
Music books, I've just written all the below and realised that your post is over a month old but rather than not bothering posting, I'll post anyway in case it may be of use. I doubt it though, I bet you've already got is sorted. Anyway, here it is:-

Scart between sat box first scart out and TV first scart in is OK. Scart from sat box second scart out to DVD scart in is wrong (and explains why you are not seeing anything on your tv from the dvd player) if your DVD is not a recorder (is it?), it should run between DVD scart out and TV second scart in. You want a scart between the sat box second scart out and the video scart in. Then you want another scart between the video scart out and TV third scart in. So in summary sat to tv (viewable on av1), sat to vid, dvd to tv (viewable on av2), vid to tv (viewable on av3). Leave the aerial cable in the video if you still want to record terrestrial TV, and leave the aerial cable from the video to tv if you still want to watch terrestrial too.

If you find that some of your TV av inputs are not scart then you can get a cable with scart on one end and three phono jacks (red and white for sound, yellow for picture) that will do the job.

If your DVD is a recorder then you've got a couple of options, a scart splitter in sat second scart out which splits to both dvd scart in and video scart in, or daisy chaining scarts to pass through devices on their way to the TV e.g. sat to vid in, vid out to dvd in, dvd out to tv in, but you might find you have to have both the vid and dvd on to watch vid.

It's all logical but when I look behind my tv stand it scares the living daylights out of me. Add in digi-senders, games consoles, HDMI, optical and coax digital sound, and a home theatre system and the cabling just looks plain crazy!

Advertisers